sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Don't you think you are exaggerating a liiiiitle bit? Just a little?
Yes, he is. But in my mind his reaction underlines the seriousness of this problem.

Yeah, it is not good that playlists cannot be saved. So save them somewhere else!!!
You seem little willing to understand that being able to backup and saveguard Sonos playlists is not such a huge demand. Sonos should have made this possible a long time ago already.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
... I am shocked and appalled... I would be mortified, ... irreplaceable.

Don't you think you are exaggerating a liiiiitle bit? Just a little?

Yeah, it is not good that playlists cannot be saved. So save them somewhere else!!!
Userlevel 3
To be frank I am shocked and appalled that this facility does not exist on the Sonos system, this is basic stuff. I have playlists that were created years ago some of which have hundreds of tracks on them, playlists that remind me of good times, that were created by a number of people all contributing tracks, if I lost them I would be mortified, they are irreplaceable.

One of the key features of Sonos is the playlists, am I really to believe that I must resort to a pen and paper here? Must I write down each song in the playlist by hand for safe keeping? Seems somewhat backwards for such an advanced bit of tech!

I love Sonos, been very pleased with the system and there is very little that I have to complain about. But many of the features are available from other manufacturers now and if the likes of Samsung include this facility it is the kind of thing that must be considered before investing further money in expanding my system.

This is obviously something a lot of people are asking for, I have not seen a response from Sonos in any of the multiple threads I have read about it, perhaps, if this is not something they wish to offer customers, they could enlighten us as to why? Because I cannot see one good reason to refuse this service.
bump.
Now I too have lost 3 years of playlist compilations after inadvertently resetting the system, when trying to reconnect to my network. There also seems to be no way of, which I can see, of saving the queue to a Napster playlist. Does anyone know how that can be done?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Still gets my vote. I cannot see if I have any duplicates. Cannot even sort a playlist.

You might consider adding your vote here.
Badge +1
Still gets my vote. I cannot see if I have any duplicates. Cannot even sort a playlist.
Badge
Forget about it. This thread is 5 years old.
I started using iTunes with smart playlists. New songs get added to these playlist depending on genre and year. Works flawless with Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
My point was that the URIs are not something a user could readily manipulate in an editor.

I understand. Maybe I´m just too dissatisfied on this subject.
How hard can it be to handle that?
My point was that the URIs are not something a user could readily manipulate in an editor. For example Google Play uses a 54-character string -- a mix of upper/lowercase letters, numbers and some punctuation symbols -- suffixed by .MP3. Unless Sonos was able to export some helpful metadata along with the URI a user would be left groping for what to do with a file full of those.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Exporting those in text form would result in a pretty unintelligible file.

Without wanting to oversimplify things: a playlist is no more than a file containing pointers to sources. How hard can it be to handle that?

That's not to say that backup/restore in some privately encoded form -- perhaps restricted to just the Desktop Controller and file storage accessible from the local computer -- couldn't be achievable.

Indeed.
May be so, but I do feel abandoned by Sonos for not supplying a decent way to import & export Sonos playlists. I started building them long before I knew or realized I shouldn´t have and now there´s no way to export or backup them.
Part of the problem may simply be that Sonos Playlists can contain so much more than just local tracks, whose file path is obviously straightforward. URIs referencing online content are often a long, arcane sequence of alphanumerics, which would have to tally with the internal service number Sonos uses. Exporting those in text form would result in a pretty unintelligible file.

That's not to say that backup/restore in some privately encoded form -- perhaps restricted to just the Desktop Controller and file storage accessible from the local computer -- couldn't be achievable.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
But for a carefully curated playlist IMO it's trusting too much to providence to use Sonos Playlists.

May be so, but I do feel abandoned by Sonos for not supplying a decent way to import & export Sonos playlists. I started building them long before I knew or realized I shouldn´t have and now there´s no way to export or backup them.
not advisable to create/use Sonos playlists.
They're excellent for what they are: queue snapshots, potentially containing tracks from a wide mix of sources (online/offline), that can optionally be loaded using an alarm.

But for a carefully curated playlist IMO it's trusting too much to providence to use Sonos Playlists. Better to compose playlists on the original online service, or as imported playlists for one's own library. In the latter case of course all that's required is a text editor, or a text file generated by script or a range of media manager applications.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I did a reset because I was unable to group rooms, and the discussions seemed to say a reset would do it. The discussions did NOT say a reset would erase my playlists.

Why would anyone assume, that a reset will NOT erase everything there is on a system??? :roll eyes:

One more example of the fact, that it is not advisable to create/use Sonos playlists.
Welcome to the forums.

I did a reset because I was unable to group rooms, and the discussions seemed to say a reset would do it. The discussions did NOT say a reset would erase my playlists.
Excuse me? On these forums we relentlessly reiterate that -- other than to deliberately wipe a specific unit before adding to a system -- a factory reset should not be undertaken unless recommended by Sonos staff or experienced forum members.

The reasons:
- a reset very rarely fixes fundamental connectivity issues
- a reset can accidentally break a Sonos system into separate parts
- a reset removes potentially useful diagnostic data
- a reset on all Players erases system settings, account details, library index and Sonos Playlists
Userlevel 2

So now I know. I had just started working on some best-of playlists. I had completed a collection of all the Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson I like, in chronological order. I was about half way through Led Zeppelin. I am glad I didn't get any deeper!

I won't build any more playlists on SONOS until I know I can export them, and import them again after a reset.

I don't need a lot of flexibility in recognizing other providers' lists. I just need to be able to re-import what I exported from SONOS.

It's called a backup.

Cheers,
Emerson
Userlevel 2
So what is the latest on this issue?

All I want to do is export the playlists I have created on my Sonos system into a word or excel document.

However it would also be handy if you could export playlists that could be recognised by other programs such as iTunes and Spotify.

Note that I am using a Mac.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
No, I think it wasn't. 😛
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sometimes I create a sonos playlist, and then wish I hadn't, because I know I should create m3u playlists, so what would be neat is a way to turn the unformatted xml available (see post 190) into an m3u file. That would provide backup and avoid unpleasant side effects if one ever would try to get them back into sonos playlists.

But for me it would just be good to have the m3u versions of the sonos playlists.

Edit: just realised this may have already been mentioned in the last 20 pages of discussion. Apologies in advance...
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Thanks for sharing.

hopefully someone will turn it into a proper user-friendly app :)

I hope Sonos will take responsibility - it's been a long time wish from many.
Badge
Care to share that?

Sure. To anyone using the code - please bear in mind that you can screw up the playlists on your Sonos system with this code, and Sonos support probably won't want (or be able) to help you out. Neither will I, use at your own risk. It uses undocumented features that Sonos may choose to change in any future release.

There is very little error checking in the code - hopefully someone will turn it into a proper user-friendly app :)

The Python scripts are here, along with a readme:
https://github.com/henkelis/sonospy/tree/msrefactor5/sonospy/brplaylists
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I wrote a little Python utility that can both backup and restore.

Care to share that?
I don't use iTunes.

iTunes was an example. Use the music manager of your choice to create playlists that can be imported into Sonos. Those will survive a Sonos disaster.

Yes, backup of some type is needed. Until it's implemented -- which may be never -- you can either risk it, or proactively work around it.
Then use m3u, wpl or pls playlists (those saved as files on e.g. the NAS and e.g. generated from iTunes): https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/154/~/importing-playlists-into-sonos

I don't use iTunes. I bought Sonos for the ease of use and ease of playback of FLAC files. I couldn't use iTunes for FLAC files anyway