sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 for this
Userlevel 2
I vote for exporting play lists feature.

I also think you should be able to edit network share folder addresses. So, if you change your share name, you can just change the folder name in Sonos and the playlists still line up.
Userlevel 2
I'm glad to see all the desire for working with playlists other than just creating and viewing them. It bugs me that I invest a lot of time in creating them and can't really use them anywhere else or share them conveniently.

Along those lines, I took another small step playing with playlists here:
Extracting Sonos Playlists - A Simple Sonos JavaScript Application, Take II

The playlist is only written to the screen where you can scrape it off.

I had some fun trying to get the web-page approach to work on an iPad (it did):
A Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Sonos Controller (Web Page) on iPad

But it's a kludge really.

Now I'm thinking about how to develop a proper app for iOS (and other mobile platforms) using AirPlaySDK. So far I've got a test app to run on iOS that I created but now the hard part is translating all the Sonos-specific code I have in JavaScript into C++ (not my strong suit). I would like to create an app that is simple and focuses on sharing what's playing and playlists. We'll see if I can do it.
Userlevel 2
Hello again,

I played around a little more with 1) auto-discovery of devices by sending a UDP broadcast and 2) exporting and importing playlists to/from a file. I created a proof of concept WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) application using C#. In the post here (http://travelmarx.blogspot.com/2011/05/wpf-application-to-save-and-import.html) the details are given as well as the source code for compiling and creating an executable. The application is not perfect but it was interesting going through the development as I had to take a closer look at how Sonos works. I'm still not sure of some of the ways I approached things (like figuring out if a zone is a master), but I've used the application for a week or so now and it works. Please see the code comments for "gotchas" if you decide to use the application.
Userlevel 2
I'm a new user to Sonos and this is my first post. The only reason I came here was to find out how to backup playlists to my computer.

I am in shock to see that such a simple and important feature is not part of the Sonos interface. This is such a beautifully engineered system, that I am amazed you have not implemented this.

I also would like to have this feature.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me also, need to be able to export Sonos playlists!
another yes here.
Userlevel 2
Seems like basic functionality now
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I love my Sonos - but it is essential to have a simple means of exporting & (re)importing playlists.

Please fix this soon.
Userlevel 2
+1 for export/backup of playlists.

Stephen Lebans
Userlevel 2
I love my Sonos - but it is essential to have a simple means of exporting & (re)importing playlists.

Please fix this soon.

I don't see any comments from Sonos. It seems like lots of people want this feature. Is it in the plan? In fact, is there a posted feature list anywhere?
I don't see any comments from Sonos. It seems like lots of people want this feature. Is it in the plan? In fact, is there a posted feature list anywhere?

Sonos does not publish a roadmap of future development. New features arrive when they arrive.
Another request for a facility to export Sonos playlists.

The reason I want to do it is because the playlist facility in the Desktop Controller is very basic to put it politely. I have a particular playlist which is long and it's very difficult to find out if a particular track is in that playlist or not. This is because you can't even sort the tracks into alphabetical order when viewing them in the Desktop software. I don't want to add tracks more than once.

The only workaround to this I can think of is to export the playlist to a text file which I could then import into Excel and sort accordingly.

Of course, if the playlist facility in the Desktop Controller was up to scratch then I wouldn't need to do this :)

I too would like to be able to backup and restore playlists as I wouldn't want to have to go through the pain of creating them again if I had to do a system reset.
Userlevel 2
+1 for playlist export function
Userlevel 2
+1

xxchar
Userlevel 2
Sonos does not publish a roadmap of future development. New features arrive when they arrive.

This is not a surprise since most companies don't publish upcoming features. However, I saw elsewhere in the forum where there were suggestions and voting about "wish list" features. It is interesting that I did not see this feature in the list even though I count at least 10 comments here from people who want it. Other wish list items only had a few votes.
+1 for Export... Have a playlist that i started on ipad and exported to sonos....all good but I would like to get the revised/ added to version back on ipad for travel.... can't do it as far as I can tell.
Since Sonos do support .m3u/pls files, a workaround is to build playlists using external tool, share these playlist files on a NAS, and then you can find it under Library/Imported Playlists.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=154
Userlevel 2
I can't believe that this is not available or that Sonos haven't implemented it in the last couple of years.

I've just replaced a NAS drive and now going to have to create all my playlists again.

Surely this is a basic function.

Come on SONOS !!!:rolleyes:
I can't believe that this is not available or that Sonos haven't implemented it in the last couple of years.

I've just replaced a NAS drive and now going to have to create all my playlists again.

Surely this is a basic function.

Come on SONOS !!!:rolleyes:

You do not have to recreate your Sonos playlists just becasue you have a new NAS. Your Sonos playlists are not stored on your NAS, they are stored on the ZonePlayers themselves. Changing out your NAS drive should not effect Sonos playlists one bit, and imported playlists can be backed up to your heart's delight. The only thing that can wipe out Sonos playlists is if all your ZonePlayers die, or are reset.
Userlevel 2
How will my ZOneplayer know where to find the files?
How will my ZOneplayer know where to find the files?

Your ZP accesses the share via filenames and paths. Setup your share on the new NAS, copy the files over the same way they were on the original drive, and your system will never know the difference. I've gone from a PC based drive, through two NAS drives and never lost a single Sonos playlist for local music. The only time I lost a Sonos playlist is when I had playlists that utilized online services and I shifted from Napster to MOG, which is to be expected.
Userlevel 2
Cool, that makes me feel better.

Which NAS drive do you use out of interest?

I was using a Seagate which I kept having to reboot as it was dropping. I'm going for a Western Digital I think.

I appreciate your help!
I've used the Buffalo models and today I have the WD Worldbook Live 1TB. The WD is a great unit, very quiet and easy to use. Cna't beat the price, either.