sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Badge
Hi

In terms of exporting the current queue and if you know which of your players is the current master, I've written a small Java program that will export the current queue to a .txt and .m3u file.

Have a look here:

http://travelmarx.blogspot.com/2010/06/simple-sonos-javascript-application.html

I wrote the Java program inspired by the JavaScript code written by the blog author and he kindly attached it to the blog post.

So if you need to export a given playlist you simply:

1. Clear the queue.
2. Place the playlist on the queue.
3. Run the Java program.

I'll refine the program later to do all three for you and also figure out which player is the current master.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Finn
Userlevel 2
Just got two new S5's and couldn't believe there was no way of importing and exporting playlists - however found this article -

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=154

It's good for me 😃 however would prefer a simple import/export/backup function on ALL controller software - Sonos are you listerning?
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting and backup playlists out of Sonos. I was searching for the export functionality: I can now see it is not there... :rolleyes:
I have tryed to loose my sonos playlists once!
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists out of Sonos (I guess via the PC app). I've made some great playlists using the Sonos iPad app and it's a shame that I can't listen to them on my iPhone when away from home!
+1
Also be nice to export them to use in itunes for using on ipods.

iPad Sonos App is such a nice way now of creating playlists but is a bit of a dead end.

Making playlists in itunes is better as both systems can easily use them plus you can export. Who would have thought Apple would be less of a closed shop!
The more i think of, the more i am "+1" ;)

"Backup&Restore" would be a useful option.
Especially if you have more than one Sonos, like Tony.

Jochen
Userlevel 2
Writing back, could be like an imported playlist, one library or another wouldn't worry me

Exactly. Once we can get it out, we can get it back in. I wouldn't care if it is an imported playlist.

No wonder, the playlists got reset too...

Simply replacing one unit or adding a new one, won't affect the playlists.

I learned that the hard way, but when Sonos sent me back a replacement new ZP (my 1st ZP wired to my Router), the system wouldn't recognize it no matter what I did. Reset finally fixed it, but then I realized playlists were gone.

It's water under the bridge now, but I back up everything I have electronically. The only thing I can't seem to back up are my sonos playlists. Seems so 1990s.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Writing back, could be like an imported playlist, one library or another wouldn't worry me
Marty, you've reset your Sonos to factory settings:
http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=72287&postcount=3

No wonder, the playlists got reset too...

Simply replacing one unit or adding a new one, won't affect the playlists.

An export may be possible via browser (SonosIP:1400/something).
But there is no way writing (back) to Sonos.

Jochen
Userlevel 2
+1 for this request.

I have two Sonos systems: House and Campervan. Would love to export the playlists I've lovingly created!

I would imagine the desktop application to be the most suitable tool to add this functionality...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Have not lost one, but made a "double load / save" on one. That means all tunes are here twice, and it is a nightmare to sort it out.
So a simple "export to a text file" would be nice