sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This thread has been active for six years now, with 228 contributions on 10 pages of forum and with nearly 84,000 views. Clearly a lot of Sonos users interested in backing up, editing and/or exporting their playlists. Still nothing from Sonos. No "yes", no "no". Silence, that's all we get. A blatant disrespect for the needs of their patrons, that's what it is.
Userlevel 1
Having had several major tantrums with my Sonos system, I came to the conclusion that Sonos is very similar to Apple

Irresistible force and immovable object

They each have a fanboy base which sees nothing but good, and a (smaller, very much smaller) number of people who find them irritating. I am one of the latter group

I know someone who doesn't use iTunes and has a wholly wired system, for whom it is a dream

I'd just come to the conclusion that I needed to go with the flow, ditch iTunes and all the problems that it causes with Sonos

And then I read this thread!

Nice to see that even when Sonos has no excuses (it's their playlists after all) they still can't get it right

And such a simple matter to sort out too
88,013 views and still no solution!!! I've owned Sonos kit for about 7 years, during which time Sonos have added lots of pointless (and sometimes frustrating) bells and whistles to their software... but still no playlist export/import capability. Why not???

As well as wanting to backup playlists - which is a perfectly reasonable and legitimate requirement - I'd like to move my playlists from Napster (which is appalling) to Spotify (which seems better). Unfortunately I can't do this without painstakingly trawling through playlists containing more than 10,000 tracks manually re-creating them.

Sonos: Please, please, please, please, please sort this out!!! Please!
Is it ever possible to transfer playlists from one streaming service to another? What has that got to do with Sonos?
Is it ever possible to transfer playlists from one streaming service to another? What has that got to do with Sonos?

There are apps that will transfer playlists between services and or add your own m3u or whatever lists to a service.
In fact I have just had a Google and to my surprise found this. I still don't think it has anything to do with Sonos

https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/transfer-playlists-between-streaming-music-apps-with-so-1702495566

I have no idea how well it works.
. I still don't think it has anything to do with Sonos.

You don't think exporting Sonos playlists is a Sonos issue? Or are you referring to the user who references Napster?
I did simple, quick searches for the Python package I'm successfully using to import/export/control my Sonos setup, but didn't see mention of it in the forum. Anyways, here's the GitHub project (not mine):

https://github.com/stu247/spl.git

It requires the SoCo Python module as noted in the README, but that's a simple `pip install` away.

Example commands:
Examples:
[spl] python spl.py --listPlaylist master
Low's Dinner Party
Elizabeth Kids Song
Jazz for Dinner Party
Rated-Songs
Wee Sing Silly Songs
[spl] python spl.py --listSpeakerInfo master
Dining Room
IP : 192.168.2.15
group coordinator : Dining Room
state : PLAYING
mode : SRf
volume : 9
artist : Timber Timbre
title : Run from Me
Family Room
IP : 192.168.2.16
group coordinator : Dining Room
volume : 10
[spl] python spl.py --exportPlaylist 'Jazz for Dinner Party' master
Jazz for Dinner Party: 17 songs
[spl] python spl.py --volume 30

Exported playlists are in XSPF (XML Shareable Playlist Format), which is fine by me. You can convert as you need/see fit.

Hope this helps someone.
so 8 years later and sonos continues to ignore its users. Guess its time to get rid of the system and start over with a more user focused brand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you can't sell your Sonos gear locally there is an active market for it on ebay so you shouldn't have a hard time getting rid of it.

What brand are you going to replace it with?
Hi. Did you get this python code to work to pull song list information from a Sonos player? Thanks.
https://github.com/stu247/spl.git

It requires the SoCo Python module as noted in the README, but that's a simple `pip install` away.