sonos playlist export or back up

Userlevel 2
I have had my 4 zone players and 3 controllers since Sonos got started. I love them.

Two years ago, one of my ZPs broke and I had to get a replacement from Sonos. Before I realized it, all my playlists were gone. It was rather depressing and lost not just a lot of work, but creative and sentimental value.

Since all my playlists are sonos playlists, I just know they will eventually disappear again over failed hardware or accident.

In a thread in 2009, Buzz wrote: "SONOS playlists are held inside the ZonePlayers and are not available for export or to 3rd party tools."

I can't fathom why they can't be backed up or exported. Can someone please explain why this simple precautionary functionality isn't available? Of course it could also be useful for other reasons as well. Will we ever see this function?

BTW, I just read thru the sticky on top 5 functions and this isn't even on it. Has anyone else lost sonos playlists?

239 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Have not lost one, but made a "double load / save" on one. That means all tunes are here twice, and it is a nightmare to sort it out.
So a simple "export to a text file" would be nice
Userlevel 2
+1 for this request.

I have two Sonos systems: House and Campervan. Would love to export the playlists I've lovingly created!

I would imagine the desktop application to be the most suitable tool to add this functionality...
Marty, you've reset your Sonos to factory settings:
http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=72287&postcount=3

No wonder, the playlists got reset too...

Simply replacing one unit or adding a new one, won't affect the playlists.

An export may be possible via browser (SonosIP:1400/something).
But there is no way writing (back) to Sonos.

Jochen
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Writing back, could be like an imported playlist, one library or another wouldn't worry me
Userlevel 2
Writing back, could be like an imported playlist, one library or another wouldn't worry me

Exactly. Once we can get it out, we can get it back in. I wouldn't care if it is an imported playlist.

No wonder, the playlists got reset too...

Simply replacing one unit or adding a new one, won't affect the playlists.

I learned that the hard way, but when Sonos sent me back a replacement new ZP (my 1st ZP wired to my Router), the system wouldn't recognize it no matter what I did. Reset finally fixed it, but then I realized playlists were gone.

It's water under the bridge now, but I back up everything I have electronically. The only thing I can't seem to back up are my sonos playlists. Seems so 1990s.
The more i think of, the more i am "+1" ;)

"Backup&Restore" would be a useful option.
Especially if you have more than one Sonos, like Tony.

Jochen
+1
Also be nice to export them to use in itunes for using on ipods.

iPad Sonos App is such a nice way now of creating playlists but is a bit of a dead end.

Making playlists in itunes is better as both systems can easily use them plus you can export. Who would have thought Apple would be less of a closed shop!
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists out of Sonos (I guess via the PC app). I've made some great playlists using the Sonos iPad app and it's a shame that I can't listen to them on my iPhone when away from home!
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting and backup playlists out of Sonos. I was searching for the export functionality: I can now see it is not there... :rolleyes:
I have tryed to loose my sonos playlists once!
Userlevel 2
Just got two new S5's and couldn't believe there was no way of importing and exporting playlists - however found this article -

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=154

It's good for me 😃 however would prefer a simple import/export/backup function on ALL controller software - Sonos are you listerning?
Badge
Hi

In terms of exporting the current queue and if you know which of your players is the current master, I've written a small Java program that will export the current queue to a .txt and .m3u file.

Have a look here:

http://travelmarx.blogspot.com/2010/06/simple-sonos-javascript-application.html

I wrote the Java program inspired by the JavaScript code written by the blog author and he kindly attached it to the blog post.

So if you need to export a given playlist you simply:

1. Clear the queue.
2. Place the playlist on the queue.
3. Run the Java program.

I'll refine the program later to do all three for you and also figure out which player is the current master.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Finn
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Finn
I find it very interesting what you write, I think it is a major miss, the system not being able to export playlists, however what you describe is to complicated for me.
It stops when I have downloaded Apache Commons Lang. I can't figure out if I have (and how) to run it or what should happen. Can you be more specific, please
I'd love it if playlists sync'd back and forth with iTunes though I feel like sonos' understandable "don't write" policy means it's unlikely.

Getting them out in some format sounds like a good idea though.
I'd love it if playlists sync'd back and forth with iTunes though I feel like sonos' understandable "don't write" policy means it's unlikely.

Plus, Sonos playlists can contain music service based tracks, which would mean nothing to iTunes. Sure you can filter them out, but that gets farther and farther away from Sonos' wish to not be a music manager.
Userlevel 2
I've just registered to add my +1 to the idea of being able to export playlists. Even if it's only for backup purposes, since I have lots of playlists that I don't have any other record of.

In an ideal world it would have the option to save as an iTunes playlist (filtering out the tracks from music services), but I'd settle for just the ability to backup and restore.

Export to .txt file would also be a nice addition.
Userlevel 2
+1 for being able to export and edit playlists.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me
Userlevel 2
If I want to take my Sonos playlist with me (with Spotify for example) there is no way to do it..... so export would be a great idea.
+1 for exporting and backup playlists out of Sonos
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists.

Also some ability to import them into Itunes would be nice! Oh, and can it be done by Lunchtime;):)
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists.
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting, backing up and (re)importing playlists.
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists!
Userlevel 2
+1
5 controllers, sonos user since 2005