Answered

Sonos player is disconnected - speakers not reachable

• 11 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello

I have 2x Sonos One set up as a stereo pair.
These are connected to my Ubiquiti Unifi network solution,

Last night while playing music the music just stopped and the sonos app on my iphone just says "sonos player is disconnected".
After force closing the sonos app the app is just searching for sonos devices on my network and can't find any.

Both sonos speakers are still connected to the Unifi USG gateway trough wifi, but the sonos app doesn't see them.
The only solution to this is to power cycle both speakers.

Any idea why this happens and how i permanently solve this?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 26 January 2019, 02:28

Wiring a speaker or adding a Boost is the best way to go. Wire as many as is convenient, the more the more robust the mesh will be.

You can get Sonos to work with Ubiquity AP gear, it actually does by default with just a single access point. The problems arise when you add access points, what makes sense for WiFi is to put them on different channels but with the same SSID so you spread your traffic load and use the nearest/strongest connection. For Sonos that doesn't work so good, all need to be on the same channel and same SSID as Sonos doesn't support other modes. Turning on some of the advanced options can also cause problems so tread carefully there. I'd say for fancy settings or multiple APs go with SonosNet as above.

The gateway should not be a problem unless it has started blocking something Sonos needs to connect to on the Internet and that doesn't sound like your issue.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Alexr80. With mesh networks like UniFi, I've seen the best success when users plug one of their Sonos devices into the network using an Ethernet cable. This allows for Sonos to have a connection to the network while allowing the speakers to talk to one another instead of each on talking to the one router/network device it was pointed to.

That being said, it sounds like the problem is with the phone controller connecting to Sonos. Do you have multiple WiFi networks at home? A guest network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Wiring a speaker or adding a Boost is the best way to go. Wire as many as is convenient, the more the more robust the mesh will be.

You can get Sonos to work with Ubiquity AP gear, it actually does by default with just a single access point. The problems arise when you add access points, what makes sense for WiFi is to put them on different channels but with the same SSID so you spread your traffic load and use the nearest/strongest connection. For Sonos that doesn't work so good, all need to be on the same channel and same SSID as Sonos doesn't support other modes. Turning on some of the advanced options can also cause problems so tread carefully there. I'd say for fancy settings or multiple APs go with SonosNet as above.

The gateway should not be a problem unless it has started blocking something Sonos needs to connect to on the Internet and that doesn't sound like your issue.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings