Sonos Playbase not receiving 5.1 with Roku 4K Stick.

I bought this as a workaround because I've read Elsewhere on here that it worked and I still can't seem to get 5.1 to work with my Roku 4K stick and my playbase. I even plugged the Roku directly into one of its HDMI. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The HDMI ARC is going into the HDMI output on this and the optical from this is going directly into the soundbar with the Roku 4K stick plugged directly into one of its HDMI spots. Everything else is working great and is plugged directly into the tv itself. Can't get whats up with the Roku 4K stick.

J-Tech Digital HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 in 1 Out Audio Extractor w/Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & IR Control Supports ARC, 4K, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P (Support Apple TV 4Gen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SetPCbKX4MC3Y

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm a little confused about your setup. Your title says Playbase, which does not have HDMI-ARC, just optical. Did you mean to say you have a Beam?

Regardless, Sonos needs to receive a signal in stereo or dolby digital 5.1. I could be mistaken on this, but I believe only the Ruku ultra will send audio in DD 5.1. I tried to research it quickly, but didn't find the answer. I'd check your document to see if you can change your audio settings on the roku to stereo or DD 5.1.

As far as the switch goes, it's only going to help you if your TV isn't capable of passing through audio with optical (or HDMI-ARC if you have a Beam)
As near as I've been able to tell from the multitude of posts about Roku on these boards, it does not send out a Dolby Digital signal. If I've been able to tell from all of the posts, it seems to be stuck on Dolby Digital Plus, which Sonos doesn't interpret.

But I don't own one, so I can't confirm.

This page: https://support.roku.com/article/208754498-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-streaming-player-for-surround-sound-

seems to imply that they can't change the audio format that they're receiving. To quote the area about "More about audio formats:

Content partners provide surround sound in different formats; for example, Netflix encodes their audio in Dolby Digital Plus (and stereo). To play the audio in surround sound, your Roku player must be connected to an AVR, sound bar, or TV capable of decoding the format used by the content partner.

Note: The Roku Ultra model 4640X* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.

The way I interpret that is that they don't do any manipulation of the signal (except on one model), but just pass through what they receive. In my opinion, that's contrary to other streamers. The one I have in mind specifically is the Apple TV, which allows you to define what output you want to send through the HDMI.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And there it is. Thanks Bruce.
Always a pleasure. It's one of those things that I have to look up every time someone posts about Roku....and a reason as to why I've never purchased one.
Its the playbase I have. I bought the adapter and have the HDMI ARC from my tv plugged into the adapter and the optical from the adapter going into my playbase. I had the Bose soundbase 700 a week ago and traded it in for the soundbase. I just plain like the sound of the soundbase more than the Bose soundbar 700. It's louder and sounds more crisp. Anyways the Bose soundbar 700 had no issue decoding 5.1 with the Roku stick at all. I bought this adapter because I read on here that as a work around you can plug the Roku 4K stick into it and it'll work that way but still doesn't.
Depending on what you're playing, based on the web page I linked to, I'd guess that you need to go into the audio settings for each app, if they have one, and make sure that they're sending a Dolby Digital signal, or a stereo one. Sonos can not interpret anything other than those two types of data.
Depending on what you're playing, based on the web page I linked to, I'd guess that you need to go into the audio settings for each app, if they have one, and make sure that they're sending a Dolby Digital signal, or a stereo one. Sonos can not interpret anything other than those two types of data. I know for a fact that Amazon on Roku outputs DD 5.1 and I have the correct settings on the Roku as well. Is there a better Streamer than the Roku that's less problematic with Sonos?
Yes, that page I linked says that, as long as the original stream is in Dolby Digital. It also indicates that for things like Netflix, it passes a Dolby Digital Plus stream, which Sonos can't interpret.

As indicated before, I have an Apple TV that has no issue sending a Dolby Digital signal to the TV set, and then the TV set passes through to Sonos.

However, I'm not really up to date on all the streamers out there, so I'm not really qualified to give you a great answer to your question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Its the playbase I have. I bought the adapter and have the HDMI ARC from my tv plugged into the adapter and the optical from the adapter going into my playbase.

What adapter are you referring to? The adapter Sonos sells cannot be used this way. It's for taking an optical signal from your TV and converting it th HDMI-ARC (for the Beam or Amp)...not vice versa. If you're talking about the switch you linked to in the first post, it's not capable of doing that either. I'm not aware of any adapter that converts HDMI-ARC to optical. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I'm not aware of it.

With the Playbase, HDMI-ARC should not factor in any way.

I had the Bose soundbase 700 a week ago and traded it in for the soundbase. I just plain like the sound of the soundbase more than the Bose soundbar 700. It's louder and sounds more crisp. Anyways the Bose soundbar 700 had no issue decoding 5.1 with the Roku stick at all. I bought this adapter because I read on here that as a work around you can plug the Roku 4K stick into it and it'll work that way but still doesn't.[/quote]

If "the adapter" is the switch in your link, it's a work around for when your TV won't pass a DD 5.1 signal through to your playbase. It won't convert DD+, or any other codec really, to DD 5.1 for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The Roku Ultra with the optical out, which was discontinued a couple years ago, is the only Roku that will decode DD+ and output plain-jane DD instead. That's the one you need, if you want to stick with Roku. You can still find them on Amazon or other places. Just make sure it has an optical out. You don't have to use the optical on the Roku, it will still output DD over HDMI, it's just a quick and easy way to make sure you are getting the right one.