Question

Sonos Playbase muting and unmuting when people walk past it

• 9 August 2020
  • 1 reply

I have a number of Sonos products including a Playbase with Play 1 surrounds and a Sub. Today this has started to mute and unmute itself when people walk past it. I have a Play 5 speaker on a shelf underneath the Playbase which I grouped with the Playbase and this continued to play when the Playbase switched off. I have submitted a diagnostic report 1801868939. Any help would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Jon Grundy, welcome to the community.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot the issue and taking the diagnostic.

In the diagnostic, it does say that the living room is muted. The Play:5 is the Group coordinator(1st room of the group).

So if the Playbar was turned off the Play:5 will still continue playing

I would like to know what was playing at the time; is the living room playing the TV audio or during music playback?

What TV model is connected to the Playbase?

I would like to also know if a IR remote was set up for the Playbase to recognize. If so, what’s the model?

The Playbase wasn’t built with any motion detection/gesture features, it’s something else that’s triggering the mute.

The things that can mute the Playbase are on the left capacitive button(if held down), the TV remote mute button (if the IR remote was set up),

and the Sonos app under the now playing section(the speaker symbol will have an “X”).

The more information we can gather the more we can isolate the cause and is greatly appreciated.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.