Question

Sonos Playbar won't connect to TV via Optical audio.

• 26 October 2020
  • 7 replies

My Playbar won’t connect to my Sony TV. I have tried two separate optical audio cables with no luck. The Playbar works fine to play music sources but shows as “No Signal” in the app. 

The light coming through the optical cable doesn’t seem as bright on my Sony TV as it does on the Samsung TV I have upstairs. Is it possible for the output signal to be too weak to transmit to the Playbar?

The TV is older so I’m wondering if over time the optical output degrades? It’s the only thing I can figure is the issue. I have tested the Playbar upstairs on my Samsung TV and it works fine. I’m guessing it’s the TV but wonder if weak signal is possible and if so is there any workaround to get the Playbar connected. It’s a long shot I know but figured I’d ask to see if anyone else has had the same issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did you change the audio setting on the TV to enable the optical output?

Or, for that matter, checked all the sources to ensure they’re set to send only a Dolby Digital or stereo signal? No Dolby Digital Plus, no DTS.

Thanks guys, I’ve checked the menus and it’s pretty limited in what’s available as far as the settings go. There doesn’t appear to be an “enable optical” option and it appears to be on as there is light coming through the cable. Having said that the light is really dim compared to the other TV in the house (that works with the PlayBar).

I’ll double check everything again to see if I can find anything as you mentioned. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Please share the model # so we can try and find the manual.

Sony kds-50a2020

It’s an older projection TV but is our spare one in the basement. It’s still in great shape but I’m starting to question if it’s just out of date (if I’m being completely honest I bought the second Playbar on a whim and didn’t really look into whether or not it would even work with the TV). I just assumed it’s got an optical port it should work.

Thanks again for any assistance you can provide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

See page 38 at https://docs.sony.com/release/KDS60A2020.pdf

I would recommend Speaker=off and Audio output=fixed

The docs indicate that its HDMI only supports stereo, which is highly unusual but this TV is pretty old. What source are you connecting it to?

I tried those settings last night with no success.

I’m connecting the Playbar to the optical audio port but it’s not getting any signal. There is a signal, I can see the red light when I plug it in but it appears faint compared to light that is transmitted when I look at the connection to my Samsung TV.

I guess I’ll write it off to not working and move on. The Playbar is working fine for music so I guess I’ll be happy with that until I decide to replace the TV.

Thanks for your help!