sonos playbar

• 11 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Have the following Sonos equip:
playbar

sub

pair of surrounds

Issue: when router reboots, the playbar is no longer visible in the system.  Attempts to resolve via the app are unsuccessful.  However, if I plug an ethernet cable directly into the router, at least sometimes I can get the playbar to be visible again, but the sub and surrounds can’t be added to the room the playbar is associated.  Have had this problem almost since day 1, and am getting pretty frustrated with this equipment.  Have contacted support several times, and they were unable to resolve.

Have other wireless devices on my network (TV, smartphone, laptop, DVD, etc.) and they all work fine after router reboot, so don’t a router problem.  Have tried setting the router to another channel, and no luck.

Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you keep the Playbar wired to your router with an ethernet cable at all times? Is WiFi enabled on the Playbar in the Sonos app?

I can but the point of this system was to be entirely wireless.

Yes, Wifi is enabled on the playbar.

Was thinking of getting the Sonos wireless speaker transmitter, but not sure that would resolve anything. Only reason I mention is “other wireless products” seem to have wireless connection issues from time to time that the “transmitter” types don’t seem to have; example: “smart electrical switches”.  I realize not an apples to apples comparison, just an observation.

Userlevel 7

Wiring a Sonos speaker to your router pretty much does the same thing as adding a Sonos Boost to your setup. They both create SonosNet - a dedicated mesh network that your Sonos speakers connect to for improved network performance.

When your Playbar is wired to the router and you try to add the Sub and Play:1s as surrounds, what happens? What router are you using?

Right now can’t add the sub or surrounds to the room with the playbar.  Setup fails indicating can’t find any devices.

Router is a Belkin F9K1119V2.

Like I said though, no other device on my network has this re-discovery/re-connection problem when the router is reset

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging all of your Sonos speakers from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router?

I can probably get things working by:

1. unplugging all Sonos devices
  2. powering up the playbar in factory default setting
  3. after the playbar is working, add each device one at a time by doing the same step #2
  4. At least after a couple of times doing this, it worked the last time I had this problem.

My more important issue is I’m getting pretty tired of having to “jump through these hoops” every time the router resets due to cable provider issues. If no one else is having this issue with the playbar (which I doubt per other posts on this forum), then maybe the playbar has a hardware issue.  The Sonos techs pulled diags multiple times, and can’t seem to figure this problem out.  They say everything looks okay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sounds like a dead WIFI card in the Playbar but odd how it doesn't show up on their diagnostics?.

We've never had any bother with ours and it's never had a LAN cable plugged in.

Got things working per the steps I outlined earlier.

Will call Sonos tech support tomorrow, and check on Wifi repair for  the playbar as the other 3 devices, sub, and pair of surrounds, have never had this problem.

Thanks for your assistance.