Question

Sonos playbar + 2x Play3 compatible with ps4?

• 5 December 2016
  • 15 replies

Hi all!

I currently have 2x Play 3 + 2x Play 1.

The 2x Play 3 is in my livingroom along with my ps4. Im considering buying the playbar, to get surroundsound when using my ps4 (BF1).

Ive read some topics over the last few days, regarding the above mentioned. But it seems like people are having alot of issues setting this up.

I got a friend who says he just connected his ps4 (via hdmi) to his tv, and then connected the soundbar to his tv (via the cable that came with the soundbar) and now it works.

Should i be able to do the same, and will i get the correct surround experience with this setup?

My main "goal" is to get a proper surround experience when using my ps4.

At the moment i apple tv and ps4 connected to the tv.

Is there anything i should be aware of? 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It entirely depends on your TV - Some TVs do NOT pass through the DD5.1 audio signal received via HDMI. There is a sticky mega thread where people have listed TVs that do pass through.

You'd need to check if your TV does.

If it doesn't you have a number of options:-

1) Forget surround sound

2) get a new TV that does pass through

3) Get an HDMI audio/video splitter and plug your peripherals (inc PS4) into that and run the audio out to the Playbar.
Thanks for the speedy answer !

I just looked up my tv on Samsungs website.

My tv is a 55" Full HD Flat Smart TV J5605 Model numberUE55J5605

It should have :

●● HDMI/ARC (Audio Return Channel)
●● Digital lyd (optisk)
●● Lyd (analog)

I cant seem to find where it says wether or passes through the DD5.1 audio signal recieved via HDMI 😞
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You can see what the PlayBar getting by going to "about my Sonos system" and look at the PlayBar. Stereo in Stereo out
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a Samsung and that does NOT pass DD5.1.

CapnLes - The OP cannot do that as they have yet to purchase the Playbar
Im not that experienced with surroundsound etc. What is the DD5.1 exactly?

If my tv does not pass DD5.1. will it then not be able to output sound via the soundbar + other sonos speakers? Or will the sound just be worse than if it was able to pass DD5.1.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
DD5.1 means Dolby Digital 5.1 where 5 is 1 centre channel for voice, 2 front speaker and two rear speaker. The .1 is the Sub.

You will still get sound as long as the signal isn't DTS or Dolby + - Stereo, PCM or DD5.1 will be ok.

You won't have an issue getting the Playbar to play the TV audio it might just be that the sound isn't a "proper" DD5.1.

A Playbar will certainly be better than your TV speakers but if your source material is DD5.1 (Especially film or drama) you will not get the full benefit if your TV does not pass the DD5.1 (It does pass audio it just changes it to stereo when that happens)
Thanks alot Stuart, ur answers helped me alot so far.

Just to be clear, i have 2x play3 on the same wall as my tv (and eventually the soundbar), so i dont have any speakers "behind" me.. if my tv does NOT support DD5.1 via the HDMI, i will still be able to get sound from my ps4 from all 3 speakers (2x play 3 + soundbar)? I dont have any intensions to put speakers up in all corners of my livingroom, so i wont get the full surroundsound experience, which im ok with. I just want the sound from my tv to pass through all my connected sonos speakers? If i could be able to hear whats happening to the left/right of me, from the left/right speaker, when im playing BF1, thats basicly what i need 😛

I hope my English is understandable.. if thats even a Word lol.
Samsung support just wrote me saying that the tv has Dolby digital plus and supports up to 7.1. Does that mean it supports DD5.1 via the HDMI as well? O.o
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Providing your PS4 isn't the Slim version then just connect it directly to the PlayBar. This will give you the surround sound you desire.
Providing your PS4 isn't the Slim version then just connect it directly to the PlayBar. This will give you the surround sound you desire.

Its the "normal" PS4. So basically just plug n' play, if I connect the playbar directly to the ps4? Only problem I see with that setup, is that if I want to use the soundbar when not using the PS4, i have to switch the cables to the tv?! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Its the "normal" PS4. So basically just plug n' play, if I connect the playbar directly to the ps4? Only problem I see with that setup, is that if I want to use the soundbar when not using the PS4, i have to switch the cables to the tv?! :-)

Yeah, there was no mention of any other sources in your original post, hence my answer :)

I used to have a similar problem so I bought a cheap 3-way toslink switch, this allowed me to connect my PS4, a Set Top Box and the TV itself. As already mentioned, a HDMI/Audio splitter will also do the job, and would allow more sources to be connected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The answer from Samsung support isn't an answer that you need. You need the answer to question "Will the TV pass an audio signal Dolby Digital 5.1 through HDMI TO Optical out and KEEP DD5.1

If you don't add the Play 3s as surrounds then you can group them to play with the soundbar but there will be an audio delay with the Playbar of 70mS. So you'd need to bond them as surrounds. I'm not sure that's ideal to then have those speakers in front of you - I'd urge you to put them behind you
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you get the playbar from sonos website you get 100days to send it back for refund.
This gives you 100 days to see if it does what you want. A lot of posts on here about trouble getting true surround out of Ps4, like only stereo from latest starwars b-ray.
Possibly playbar end of life 2016 (no-one will ever say), so could be new playbar 2017 if you want to gamble ;O)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Have a read here, it has confused me, why is this so hard? :-
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Consoles-Peripherals/Dolby-5-1-via-HDMI-on-PS4/td-p/42123275/page/15
In my tv settings I found out that i Can Choose between Bitstream / PCM in the HDMI Sound format settings.

In the Sound format settings i Can choose between PCM and and Dolby digital (doesnt say if its 5.1 or 7.1) - DTS and DTS Neo 2:5 is also on the list, But cant chose them, dont know why. Sound delay is at 70. I Can chose to put on/off HD Sound as Well..

Anyone knows if this is good or bad?