Answered

Sonos Play Five

• 22 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m trying to figure out how to connect two play fives gen 1, without internet. I just want to use these with an aux cable. Can I connect the two to play stereo? Or just play both with a headphone adapter?

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 December 2020, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You only need the Internet for initial set up. Then it can be disconnected. Otherwise there is no way of setting them up and you must pose the S1 app version

How would they be connected if there was no internet after initial setup?

If you bond them as a stereo pair, and configure the Line-In Autoplay to target the pair, they should work in the absence of a network. (The two units should connect to one another using an ad hoc SonosNet mesh and AutoIP addressing.)

Try it and see. Configure using the S1 controller on a normal network, then turn off the router and power-cycle the units. (I haven’t tested this in many a year.)

So that’s the only way to play them in stereo? What about using a headphone splitter to play them as a pair?

So that’s the only way to play them in stereo? What about using a headphone splitter to play them as a pair?

A headphone splitter would send L+R to both units. If each was configured with Line-In Autoplay it would play individually, but the two wouldn’t function as a stereo pair.

If you were to butcher the splitter so that its L+R were divided/combined so as to send L+L to one speaker and R+R to the other then it would achieve much the same result as my earlier post, though the stereo sync could be slightly off at times.