Question

Sonos Play:5 trouble after upgrade to S2

• 31 July 2020
  • 9 replies

I own a pair of Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 speakers bought  in November 2017. 
Both of these speakers have been connected to my WiFi 2.4G router and have been functioning very well as a stereo pair. 
Last week, I upgraded to the S2 app. Soon after, I started noticing that the right side speaker was dropping out occasionally. 
So, I reset both the speakers to factory settings by holding the ♾ button down while powering on the speakers. Both speakers blinked white, then white & amber and then started blinking green. After that, I started setting them up from the app using the “add product” option. 
Speaker # 1 (the one that was dropping out initially) was set up without any trouble.
But, I am unable to set up Speaker # 2.  The sequence of events is like this :
- I click on add product- the app identifies the new speaker- it adds the new speaker to my WiFi network-I get a message asking me to press the ♾ button and wait for the chime- I get an error message saying “Not Connected - your Sonos product was not found. If your product is a long way from your router, You May need to try moving it closer”. The speaker is about 2 metres from the router.
I have tried this at least 15 times and the result is the same. I tried the alternate setup using an Ethernet cable to connect the speaker to the modem. The result is the same. 
I tried calling the helpline number twice. Was made to wait on line for 15 minutes and then disconnected both times.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @anandmenon, welcome to the community, and thanks for all the efforts. Sorry, you’ve had to deal with this but we’re doing our best to catch up will all our customers to help you with your concern and enjoy the experience with our products and services. Just to let you know that when encountering audio dropouts, we do not recommend doing a factory reset as it may cause more problems and would not lead us to a resolution on what happened as well that we may need to fix. Anyway, that’s alright we’re here to help you. If you got one speaker added again, try to submit a diagnostic of your system so we can further check it on our end for further steps. When you hardwired the second speaker using an ethernet cable that you cannot add back to the system, do you still see the flashing green light? Reply to us with the confirmation number of your diagnostic. For reference, you can Call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday, 10 am to 9 pm EST and our chat support is available on weekdays 10:00 am - 9:30 pm, weekends 10:00 am - 6:00 pm EST. Thanks! 

Hi,

I’ve submitted a diagnostic and the confirmation number is 1726368889.

Yes, I see a flashing green light after I hardwired the speaker to the modem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I had a similar single speaker outage last night on Play 5 Gen 2 S2.  I could not submit a disgnostic as the app would not do so but i did one soon after 1937927508

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi,

I’ve submitted a diagnostic and the confirmation number is 1726368889.

Yes, I see a flashing green light after I hardwired the speaker to the modem.

Hi @anandmenon, thanks for the diagnostic. Try to add the speaker while it’s hardwired if it will still not gonna work, hardwire the other Play:5 as well. If possible hardwired them both then try to add it again. See how it goes then submit another diagnostic. Thanks! 

I had a similar single speaker outage last night on Play 5 Gen 2 S2.  I could not submit a disgnostic as the app would not do so but i did one soon after 1937927508

Hi @bockersjv, thanks for reaching out and the diagnostic. Can you please confirm which of the two Play:5s you’re having trouble with? As it shows you have two and they’re in stereo pair. Tell us more about it. We’re always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @bockersjv, thanks for reaching out and the diagnostic. Can you please confirm which of the two Play:5s you’re having trouble with? As it shows you have two and they’re in stereo pair. Tell us more about it. We’re always here to help.

It was the right hand one, then that cleared ad the left hand one went briefly and then the system started working and i could submit the diagnostic.

Hi,

am a bit confused. As I’d mentioned in my first note, one speaker is working and is visible in my S2 app. I am unable to to add the other one. I’d also mentioned that I tried hardwiring that speaker, but still count not add it.

are you asking me to factory reset the one that’s working fine, wire both speakers to the modem at the same time and try adding them both?

Hi, 

a response would be greatly appreciated. 
I am sure Sonos can work out a better way to offer customer support. I am stuck between having to wait 24 - 48 hours for a response from you or calling the helpline, being told that I am the 5th customer in line, finally making it to #1 in the line before getting cut off.
anand

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @bockersjv, thanks for reaching out and the diagnostic. Can you please confirm which of the two Play:5s you’re having trouble with? As it shows you have two and they’re in stereo pair. Tell us more about it. We’re always here to help.

It was the right hand one, then that cleared ad the left-hand one went briefly and then the system started working and i could submit the diagnostic.

Hi @bockersjv, thanks for your reply. It seems that they are all okay now as long as the two Play:5s and the Sub are hardwired to the router using ethernet cable since the WiFi is disabled for these three devices. Let us know if you need anything. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi,

am a bit confused. As I’d mentioned in my first note, one speaker is working and is visible in my S2 app. I am unable to to add the other one. I’d also mentioned that I tried hardwiring that speaker, but still count not add it.

are you asking me to factory reset the one that’s working fine, wire both speakers to the modem at the same time and try adding them both?

Hi @anandmenon, sorry for the late response but we’ll do our best here to help you out. You do not need to factory reset the device again, just hardwire them both to your router using an ethernet cable. Make sure that the working speaker has a solid white light and nonworking has a flashing green light. Then try to add the speaker has a flashing green light. Let us know how it goes.