Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi at all

• 29 April 2017
  • 78 replies

So I have owned my play 5 about a month, never had any issues, was set up to my WiFi within 15 mins after I opened it and I have never had to touch it again until today. First Sonos app cant find my sonos system on my PC. So I try the sonos app on my phone. Still no luck. So I reset it to set up a new system on WiFi. The play 5 cant find the wireless network, I then set the speaker up via ethernet which works fine, with the ethernet cable still plugged in I go to advanced settings in the app to setup wireless connection, put the WiFi password in and it still will not connect to the WiFi.

Things I have already tried at least twice...

Remove speaker power for 30 seconds then plug back in.
Reset router
Unplug and reset router
Tried set up from PC App and from phone app

Any help would be great...
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 18 September 2017, 22:31

Hi guys, if you're having any trouble with a player like this, it's best to give us a call on our support line and a technician can assist.
View original

78 replies

I'm new to Sonos and love it.

But unfortunately I've had almost the exact same issue as you with my Play 5 (gen 2):

It is just 6 weeks old with no issues until now.
Only 2 days ago stopped working. Other devices continued working as normal.
Turned it off, waited and back on multiple times.
Factory reset it, no luck.
Turned off all other Sonos devices and reset my controller and started as new.
Reset router wifi password on 2.4GHz and restarted.

Every time it gets stuck during a Standard setup picking up the "SONOS" temp wi-fi network. It simply cannot find the SONOS network to connect to,...it doesn't show at all.

Like you, I can successfully get it to work over ethernet, before I tried turning off all other devices I could Group it back into the existing system over ethernet, but as soon as ethernet is removed it's as if it doesn't exist anymore.

I then reset my Play 1 and went through the same process and that still works perfectly and an easy setup as it was 6 weeks ago.

It is as if the wireless function on my Play 5 (gen 2) doesn't exist anymore and has just stopped working.

I sent diagnostics to Sonos: 7354452

I'll try calling them later.

Thanks for any help 🙂
Hello Danstevens94, welcome to the Community. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic while the PLAY:5 is hardwired into the router and posting your confirmation number here?

Hi Tuckombil, many thanks for your kind words. We just sent you a direct message to continue on with the troubleshooting.
Hi Nico, thanks very much I replied to you :-)

For anyone searching about a similar issue, always good to know what resolved the issue. In this case it was a hardware fault.

You need to submit the diagnostics to SONOS as Nico explains above. SONOS are brilliant and have such a good diagnostic system, the way they can diagnose the issue immediately, and in my case they needed to replace a faulty unit which I understand is a known issue that affected a limited number of devices. They could tell straight away with some minor troubleshooting.

As I mentioned in my reply to Nico. I called yesterday and it's all sorted already. A replacement has already been shipped 🙂

Your support has been superb! Really really good and I love SONOS. Already recommended others.

These things happen and it's how you handle them that counts, SONOS gets an A+ from me, very happy.

Cheers
Hi Nico, I am experiencing the same problem for about a 45 day old Play5 gen 2. Can I submit a diagnostic to you?
Thanks JT
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Nico, I am experiencing the same problem for about a 45 day old Play5 gen 2. Can I submit a diagnostic to you?
Thanks JT

Hi JT, please do go ahead and submit a diagnostic. Reply here with the number you get.
Hi Thanks Tom. I contacted Amazon and they agreed to take it back and send me a new one. Just now set up the new one. I'm just a bit worried now however, as I bought five new Play5 gen. 2 and two of them (counting this one) have had the wifi stop working as described at the top of the post. Nothing would resolve it, although ethernet worked fine. It manifested in both cases between 30-45 days after initial setup. I hope there is not a hardware defect and that this was just the luck of the draw. I've got multiple Sonos products running with a Sonos Boost so here is to hoping. Thank you for your follow up though.
Hey JT, when I replaced mine, my understanding was that it "is" a hardware fault. Not all are affected, because for the wi-fi component they apparently use different manufacturers for that component and only one of the manufacturers components caused the issue.

I replaced mine directly through sonos and not the store I bought it from, because I was worried about slow turn-over in the store and that I may get the same batch, just because where I am. My logic was that getting it directly from sonos, who say the problem is now fixed, would be a safer bet.

I think with amazon the product turn-over would be massive so I don't think you have any concerns about the new ones you now have. And it doesn't necessarily mean your other 3 Play5's would have the same problem. But it is definitely a worry.

Keep a close eye until warranty runs out. And make sure none of the other 3 use ethernet, use them on wi-fi so you are sure to pick up an issue if it happens.

Would be good if sonos could get the serial for the part (from that manufacturer) to check your other ones seeing as though you supported them so well and bought 5 and already had to replace 2.

Good luck with it. The positive thing is that sonos service is fantastic in my experience.
I appear to have the same issue. My play 5 was working fine until one day it just stopped working over wifi. I can only get it to work if the ethernet is connected. Tried restarting/resetting router, play 5 and Sonos App nothing worked. Tried reinstalling app and new wifi setup but only get wifi password/network error. Just submitted diagnostics, hopefully i will get a reply from SONOS soon. Diagnostics #7528240
hI! I'm having the exact same issue and after facebook messenging sonos... then tweeting them, both to no response, I have come across all of the above! I really need to get it going for a dinner party in a few hours. Any chance it can be saved / replaced by my local retailer this afternoon ASAP? Please help!!! Diagnostics number 7530051.
hI! I'm having the exact same issue and after facebook messenging sonos... then tweeting them, both to no response, I have come across all of the above! I really need to get it going for a dinner party in a few hours. Any chance it can be saved / replaced by my local retailer this afternoon ASAP? Please help!!! Diagnostics number 7530051.

For me it turns out that my Play 5 has a wireless card issue. I found that contacting them through the Sonos App/Email is the fastest. No response through FB. However, Customer Service was great and they figured out the problem right away. They are sending me a replacement.

If indeed you have the same issue and its under warranty, expect 1-5 days for a replacement if secured by a hold no your credit card. Longer if you choose to send your bad unit to them first and then 1-5 days for replacement unit.
Hello Danstevens94, welcome to the Community. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic while the PLAY:5 is hardwired into the router and posting your confirmation number here?

Hi Tuckombil, many thanks for your kind words. We just sent you a direct message to continue on with the troubleshooting.
i have the same problem
DIagnostics report 7611648
I have the same issue. My Play:5 Gen 2 stopped working in the middle of a song. Now it only works if I connect it with a network cable.

Diagnostics report: 7614499

I will update or reply to this post when I hear something from Sonos.
mine is being replaced
I have the same exact issue, I got my brand new sonos player Yesterday, and It just would not sense any wifi network. The only way it will connect to my app is through an Ethernet cable. And when I try to do the advance setup ->wifi network to set up wireless, it just will not detect any wifi signals nearby. Not my Wifi, not my neighbor's wifi, not my hot spot right next to it. The facebook trouble shoot is directing me to the page with the video that tells me to do it over again, even though I told them the problem and showed them that my router is in 2.4 Ghz and compatible with the required 802.11g. That's not helpful at all. #7632065
I had the same exact issue, I got my brand new sonos player Yesterday, and It just would not sense any wifi network. The only way it will connect to my app is through an Ethernet cable. And when I try to do the advance setup ->wifi network to set up wireless, it just will not detect any wifi signals nearby. Not my Wifi, not my neighbor's wifi, not my hot spot right next to it. The facebook trouble shoot is directing me to the page with the video that tells me to do it over again, even though I told them the problem and showed them that my router is in 2.4 Ghz and compatible with the required 802.11g. That's not helpful at all. #7632065 Update: Called tech support, They confirmed that it was not a wireless card error after I submitted my diagnostics. The unit was experiencing interference from my router instead. I was helped by senior tech Eric, he remote in to my computer and adjusted the router channels to #6 (1, 6, or 11 are acceptable). I was using an older router, Netgear WPN824v3. I tried connecting the unit through wireless again and the app FINALLY showed my network. Hope this helps.
I have the same issue. My Play:5 Gen 2 stopped working in the middle of a song. Now it only works if I connect it with a network cable.

I approached Sonos through Facebook Messenger instead which seems to be the preferred way of communication, and the Play:5 is now being replaced.
Well how about that? After reading through all these posts I realize my Sonos Play 1's, Play 3's, and Sub, all second generation and purchased a few months ago, have defective wifi cards?! Is that what you all discovered? How difficult was it to get a warranty replacement? Who covered all the expensive return shipping costs? I just got a sinking feeling in my gut after reading these posts.
😞
No, to my knowledge there has been a minuscule number of Play:5 gen 2 s that have this issue. If you're having problems with other models, I would be willing to bet that bad wifi cards are absolutely not what is happening to you. Have you contacted them directly? You can find various methods of direct contact at www.sonos.com/contact

I approached Sonos through Facebook Messenger instead which seems to be the preferred way of communication, and the Play:5 is now being replaced.

Turns out that DHL in Germany isn't very reliable, so they didn't come pick up the package despite asking for a full day without any pick-up window. Let's see how Sonos deals with this, since I have to go to work..
Hi Everyone,
one of My Sonos Play 5 gen 2 had the same problems as above about 2 weeks ago. No WiFi, I returned it to the merchant and was given a new speaker.
Today another of my play 5 gen 2 has lost its WiFi? ????
Not Happy as I'm an codger and technically challenged with IT.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi bbstevebb, welcome to the community. Can you connect the PLAY:5 by Ethernet to your router and send us a diagnostic while it's connected like that? Tell us the number you get.
H all, glad I found this post. Having the same issue, sounds like we all got the bad batch. Diagnostic confirmation #7718424.
Add another one to this growing list. I sent a message via FB messenger but haven't heard back yet. In the mean time, my diagnostic confirmation number is 7723555. Hope this leads me to a solution soon.
Hello, I am having the exact same problem. It is frustrating to not be able to use the speaker, I have spent countless hours trying to solve this. From the posts above I understand I need to submit support diagnostics, the number confirmation number I received is 7765046.

Would really appreciate prompt help with this issue.
I too am having the same. Diagnostic report number is - 7784536