Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Userlevel 1
I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 25 July 2019, 19:42

View original

108 replies

Hello,

Thank you for your time. I have a SONOS Play:5 Gen 2 and a few days ago we suddenly had no control over the speaker from our phone apps or from the desktop PC. After a lot of trouble shooting and connection attempts after rebooting the router and even changing the password of our WiFi we are not able to connect to the WiFi. The speaker tries to create a temporary WiFi named SONOS but it never shows up on either phone and it says it will require Ethernet connection to be used. I believe the WiFi card has died. Please assist, thank you.

Diagnostic confirmation code: 1795378400
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Infinben, I deleted your other post for sake of keeping things all in one place. There is a hardware issue with that Play:5 which will need replacing. For this sort of issue, the best thing to do is to contact our support team directly. However, I've passed along your details to an agent and he will be in touch soon via email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
For anyone new to this topic, if you find yourself with a Play:5 gen2 or other Sonos speaker that can't connect to the network when wireless, but it works just fine wired in, there are a number of things to check, but there's a chance that there's something wrong with the wireless on the device. Run a diagnostic in the Sonos app with the speaker connected to the network using an Ethernet cable. This is under Settings > Advanced Settings.

With the diagnostic number handy, the best thing to do is to get in contact with our support team directly. They will help identify if there's a hardware issue or something network related that can be fixed, and will assist with the next steps.

Hi there, same issue. Will not connect over WiFi. Diagnostics: 1642104857

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there, same issue. Will not connect over WiFi. Diagnostics: 1642104857

As it’s the weekend, I suggest that you contact tech support via Twitter or Facebook.

Hi,

i have the same problem with my gen 2. It won’t connect to the WiFi or even start its own WiFi when trying to connect. 

Number; 763439185

best regards

My Play:5 had had issues with WiFi for some time but hasn’t really affected me as I have always had it hard wired by Ethernet. 
However, this has now failed so I have no use of the speaker at all…

Emailed Sonos support yesterday and sent diagnostics to them, they have ran me through what I have already done to try and resolve but still no joy. 

awaiting their response, certainly expecting these units to last a lot longer than this one has, I’ve had my Bose equipment for about 13 years and still performing well. 

I have exactly the same problem! Tried already multiple resets etc. nothing worked so far! I want to move the speaker to a place where no WIRE is available 

diagnostic number is 33414422

thanks!

dan

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @daniel.bessler,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report. 

It does look like your Play: 5 has a hardware issue that we will need to resolve with you directly. 

I will be happy to follow up with you through direct-messaging or you can reach directly out to our support team via email to resolve this.

Same as everyone else here. Sonos 5 Gen 2...wish I had searched here first...I’ve spent too many hours scouring the settings on my router, restarting everything...etc...here’s my diagnostics report number: 

latest update. After long chat session was told to call phone/tech support. The tech support told me after 2 minutes that Sonos was not compatible with netgear/Orbi or any mesh wifi networks...no solution. Pretty weak response...

But a wired system still works fine, if you connect the Sonos to the root device on your mesh network, so the Sonos relies on their own network, rather than your mesh network. 

That’s how I currently have it set up...but (for me) the whole point is to have the flexibility to place the speaker where I want without having to be tethered by an ethernet cable...as in wireless...if it doesn’t work on a wifi network, what’s the point? Otherwise I would have purchased a bluetooth speaker...

That’s why Sonos makes the BOOST, for people like you and me who don’t have a speaker close enough to our router that we can wire an Ethernet cable to. Since I started using the BOOST, and assigned reserved IP addresses to my system, I’ve not had any issues, either with playback or with updating my 18 Sonos devices. 

I haven’t looked at the Boost...will check it out...thanks

although i wish I knew the BOOST was required to make the system work...I get it if you have 18 sonos devices… I have one...so another $100 to make it work...not ideal.

It’s not required, you could wire a speaker and achieve the same result, but you were saying that wasn’t possible, so I provided the designed alternative. 

But the BOOST isn’t a silver bullet that fixes all Wi-Fi issues, it is just a device that might help some issues, and remove the bandwidth from your own Wi-Fi. But it’s still a radio network, and subject to all the cases of wifi interference that any Wi-Fi signal is subject to. And particularly on some mesh systems, which by default use different channels for each pod, and some that don’t allow you access to set your own channel that is used. Sonos needs all devices to be on the same channel because they talk to each other at all times in order to stay in sync, they tend to have substantial issues if they’re on differing channels for each pod that they’re connected to. 

Since Sonos is a networked system, is does rely on that solid backbone in order to work. And since it talks to all points of installation across your network, it’s unlike most, if not all, other Devices youtpr network, which just connect to a single point outside your network. If there are challenges for the Sonos to communicate with the other speakers on your network, it has difficulty, as you’ve discovered.

I hope you’re able to resolve the issues your system is experiencing. 

I have the same problem with one of my PLAY:5 (Gen2). Only ethernet works. Please help. Diagnostics number 735469934

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

I’m also using Orbi and the Play 5 can’t connect to the WiFi network (two Play 1 are working fine), can you please share your resolution? Thanks

@ericcsng I went into the settings for the Sonos and the netgear admin panel and changed both so that the 2.4ghz was broadcasting on the same channel...you might need to click around to find that in each but I think it’s pretty straight forward. Let me know if you can’t find those settings and I can go back and check and send screenshots. Hope this works for you...

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

Sorry, it’s not working...

I now have the same problem

Play5 had been working on WiFi fine for two years

Halfway through playback it crashed and would not connect back to WiFi. Settings reset and all usual troubleshooting steps taken. It works over Ethernet but still refuses to connect to WiFi (that had no changes made)

diag 1503335533

Same problem. It won’t connect to the WiFi or even start its own WiFi when trying to connect. SONOS Play:5 Gen 2.

Diagnostics: 618762070