Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 audio distortion from Project 3 turntable

Got a Sono’s Play 5 Gen 2 along with Project III turntable this past Christmas. After hooking it up via RCA to mini connection it sounded great. Starting yesterday an album would start to play and gradually the sound became distorted/muffled as if a speaker was either blown or it was over driven. Again, everything was working great until yesterday. I hooked up my iPod to the Sono’s and played various cuts and it sounded fine. Updated the firmware thinking that might help. I changed various settings to the speaker through the app to no avail. Just looking to see if there is something I am missing or if I should just send it back as defective. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by buzz 28 March 2020, 19:57

I have never enjoyed that style of anti-skate, but I have also not had any trouble.

I’m not sure what your skill levels are, but you can probably adjust the loop shape and encourage it to stay in the groove. Another approach is to use a small dot of tape to encourage the loop to stay in the groove. Likewise, a small dot of silicone rubber could discourage the loop from slipping. In either technique, if you can easily see the addition, you’ve used too much.

I have never worked with this model turntable, but it is possible that the weight suspension post is mislocated. Check your location against pictures of the turntable.

View original

14 replies

I have never enjoyed that style of anti-skate, but I have also not had any trouble.

I’m not sure what your skill levels are, but you can probably adjust the loop shape and encourage it to stay in the groove. Another approach is to use a small dot of tape to encourage the loop to stay in the groove. Likewise, a small dot of silicone rubber could discourage the loop from slipping. In either technique, if you can easily see the addition, you’ve used too much.

I have never worked with this model turntable, but it is possible that the weight suspension post is mislocated. Check your location against pictures of the turntable.

New question: Any tips on keeping the Anti-skating weight from slipping off of the groove? Doesn't seem to matter how slow or easy I move the arm it still slips off.

See if this LINK perhaps assists.

I’m certainly no expert in this area, but these appear to be the things to check...

1. Check/replace the RCA cable etc.
  2. Damage/worn stylus or bent cantilever etc?
  3. Cartridge alignment?... https://audio-technica.com.au/how-to/align-turntable-cartridge/
  4. Tone arm balance (weight too low perhaps?) See this link... https://thevinylfactory.com/features/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

However I would maybe try a portable player/mobile, in place of the turntable, just to rule out it being the Play 5 speaker and then look towards the turntable itself (if necessary).

Or you can go the other route and try the turntable with another Amp/Receiver, that’s  if you do have access to one.

OK, did something again today that I did yesterday and it worked. I adjusted the Tone arm balance and it worked this time. Obviously I didn’t do it right yesterday. Have to ask if I need to occasionally need to re-adjust this? Can the balance change even if no-one besides me touches it?

Userlevel 7

@rhharr01 

Glad you got to the right solution thanks to @Ken_Griffiths #4 Option.  Regarding submitting a diagnostic:

If you want Sonos Tech Support to intervene (for troubling shooting) it’s recommended that a diagnostic be submitted within 10 minutes of the problem occurence. Information is sent to analyze to see if there is a network problem or in your case a faulty cable between the Play 5 and TT which would have shown a signal loss.  As it turns out I doublt they could have detected an imbalance of the tonearm; but may have suggested it as a possibility.

FYI, to submit a diagnostic follow the instructions in the link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Cheers!

Thanks again everyone.

Unless someone is “helping” you, adjusting the arm’s tracking force is a one time event. In my experience the cleaning lady is a turntable hazard.

Test

Userlevel 7

Hi @rhharr01 

Check to make sure the phono cartridge is properly seated and stylus is free of dust.  Let us know the results.

Cheers!

Did both and had the same result. Any more suggestions?

Userlevel 7

Did both and had the same result. Any more suggestions?

Try changing the cables. If that doesn’t resolve the issue then I suggest you submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence, post the reference ID in this thread and call Sonos Tech support or contact them via Twitter or Facebook. Let us know the result. 

One last question... have you changed the original cartridge?

Thanks for your replies. Have to go get a new cable. I will try these today and tomorrow. Ajtrek01, not sure what you mean by “submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence “?

OK, did something again today that I did yesterday and it worked. I adjusted the Tone arm balance and it worked this time. Obviously I didn’t do it right yesterday. Have to ask if I need to occasionally need to re-adjust this? Can the balance change even if no-one besides me touches it?

It’s been a while since I did these things and used to use a sliding scale balance to set the weight if I changed cartridge etc, but you only need to check it now and again, well thats what I did at least maybe 3 or 4 times a year though others with OCD may perhaps do it more often 😃. I know that if the tone arm weight is low it can quickly cause distortion. Anyhow glad you have now solved it.👍

New question: Any tips on keeping the Anti-skating weight from slipping off of the groove? Doesn't seem to matter how slow or easy I move the arm it still slips off.