Answered

Sonos Play:3 won't connect

• 7 January 2021
  • 28 replies

I have a Sonos 1 and I am pretty happy with it.  I just bought a used 3 and I can't get it to connect my system.  I get to the point where it wants me to push my mute button to make the final connection and it never connects. I'll hold my finger on the mute button it will quick flash 3 or 4 times in a row then go back to regular flashing green and white at the same time. I even turned off my firewall thinking that might help. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 February 2021, 11:30

View original

28 replies

Have you factory reset the ‘new to you’ PLAY:3 before attempting to add it to your system?

Yes, hold both buttons down and plug in, orange light comes on then turns white w green flashing. I've done that several times. Maybe it's a defective 3??

Yes, hold both buttons down and plug in, orange light comes on then turns white w green flashing. I've done that several times. Maybe it's a defective 3??

Wire it to your router (temporarily), which may assist and help the speaker to get any updates and try the setup again whilst it’s wired. See if that perhaps sorts it for you.

I forgot to mention that the app didn't recognize the 3 until i cabled it to the router. That's the only way it's recognized. 

I forgot to mention that the app didn't recognize the 3 until i cabled it to the router. That's the only way it's recognized. 

So do you have the speaker setup and working and (perhaps importantly) do you see both the Play:3 and your Sonos One/Play:1 in your App… will both speakers play music?

No, it's recognized in the app. Says to push mute button but doesn't acknowledge that I've pushed it. The white/ green light will flash a quick sequence then just pulse like normal. App says it didn't note my button push and asks me if i want to try again

Perhaps try this, power off both your speakers and wire the Sonos One… power that speaker on. Open the Sonos App and ensure it appears in your App. Next power on the Play:3 (also wired to the router). Wait until it’s light pulses green (that’s important) and then go to “Settings/System/Add Product” and follow on screen instructions and when prompted to press button on speaker, try pressing the pause and volume up buttons and see if it then works for you.

Tried that. Same.  The white/ green never stop flashing. Like i said before, it will flash a quick sequence then go back to normal pattern but never stops flashing. I even turned off my firewall thinking that might help. Didn't need to with the Sonos 1 though. I also did another reset before I retried to connect. 

I guess it’s quite possible that the Play:3 speaker software is out of date to an extent that it cannot get the latest updated firmware, or it maybe faulty. I would suggest you give Sonos Customer Care a call and see if they can assist in anyway.

You can contact them via this LINK

Thank you for all your help. I sent them a query about my issue yesterday,  haven't heard back as yet.  I agree that it has to be a software problem....

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ray 99999999 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When speakers that are flashing green are found by the app but won’t add, the best fix is to switch your router off for at least 30 seconds, then try again once you have internet. Please make sure your app is connected to your existing speaker(s) before trying to add the new one. If you continue to have issues, try switching off any WiFi extenders or boosters you may have and try again.

If you still have problems adding the speaker, please get in touch with our technical support team directly.

Ray!  Have the same issue with a play:3 I just picked up from a friend. He swears the speaker was working perfectly just 2 weeks ago. I have the same situations yours. My play3 won’t fully restart, white led and green mute light are always flashing and the play3 only gets recognized when it’s plugged in using an Ethernet cable. Mid installation, when it prompts me to “press the play bottom on the speaker” it does not recognize it however, if I press both volume up and mute, it goes to the next step but fails (shown in the picture) 

where you able to get yours going? 

I just had this issue today. I actually sell Sonos stuff and have had no help from Sonos whatsoever. 

The reason the speaker isn't working with the S2 app is because it's firmware is too old to work with it. If you set it it via the S1 app and then it will work fine. Once it's updated reset the speaker and then pair it with the S2 app. Very frustrating with how little help there is with things like this. 

But I hope this helps!

Thanks for the above info. I am having this problem as well but can no longer access version 1 of the app.

It takes me straight to a screen that saysuse Sonos version 2 of the app???

help

Did anyone resolve the issue?

Did you contact the technical support team, as suggested in the post above?

I resolved the issue.

I used another device and downloaded version 1 of the app. This allowed me to update the Sonos 3.

I could then add the play 3 to version 2 of the app as it had the necessary firm wear update and was recognised.

thankyou 

Outstanding, and thank you for posting the solution to your particular situation. Hope it helps someone else in the same boat. 

For anyone who encounters this issue and has multiple sonos products, I was able to finally get into the Sonos S1 app by unplugging all of my S2 compatible sonos devices and leaving only the speaker that was giving me the problem connected and online. Once that occurred, the Sonos S1 app allowed me to configure the outdated Play:3 and I was able to complete the setup. Now I plugged all my other sonos speakers in and everything works great on the S2 app. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

I just had this issue today … The reason the speaker isn't working with the S2 app is because it's firmware is too old to work ...

This solved my issue!  Thank you!

My internet service provider started all this by replacing my old router after an outage.

Play 1 connects immediately (well, I cheated, with ethernet cable to router)

Play 3 worked for a few hours and then was no longer recognized by iPAD ir iPhone S2 app. Factory reset Play 3 many times and same answer from iPAD app/setting/add product, that I had not pressed the flashing green mute button to continue. On a fourth time, a lot of software/new utilities got updated onto Play 3 and it worked.

Have not dealt with disconnecting ethernet cable to Play 1 yet. Just want to not hear the word Sonos for a while and listen to some music instead.

Sure sounds like a potential duplicate IP address network issue. 

I definitely wouldn’t be doing a factory reset, it doesn’t really ‘fix’ anything. I’d be unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and test. 

Hello friend,

can anyone help me with my play:3  ?

Problem that I have is that while trying to do hard reset the blinking light doesn’t switch from blinking white/orange to green ..:((( 

It is just blinking orange/white forever..

inside the sonos app I get to the stage where it should play a chime but it stays silent. 

@milanche,

It sounds like you ‘may’ possibly have a hardware fault, particularly if the speaker is not showing a flashing green light, post factory reset.

However I would double check things by submitting a diagnostic report, after attempting to setup the speaker and then chat/speak to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

@milanche,

It sounds like you ‘may’ possibly have a hardware fault, particularly if the speaker is not showing a flashing green light, post factory reset.

However I would double check things by submitting a diagnostic report, after attempting to setup the speaker and then chat/speak to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

Thanks for answer.. Strange to get a “hardware fault” after working flawlessly for a number of years..((

I’ll contact Sonos Support definitely.