Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 (gen 1) keeps dropping out

• 23 November 2020
  • 2 replies

As described, Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 keep dropping out. Music is pausing throughout the day. We are connected over wifi and using a very stable internet connection.

I’ve run and sent a diagnostic. Confirmation number: 1633682018

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it’s definitely killing the mood at our busy cafe when the music keeps cutting out.

Pete

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I will just add that people moving about in your cafe may interrupt the wireless signal, if they are positioned between the WiFi access point and the speaker (Adults are 50-65% water) so consider placing the connecting devices above head height, or perhaps consider using SonosNet, or wiring all the speakers. More information about SonosNet can be found here:

Information about SonosNet (Wired) Mode

If your router is set to auto-select it’s WiFi channels on startup, then it’s best to change that and switch off the feature, otherwise it maybe selecting an overlapping channel.

I would ‘fix’ its 2.4ghz band on either Channel 1, 6 or 11 and set a channel width of 20 MHz - try each channel for half hour or so and see which works best for your local setup. Changing the wireless channel will not affect the other devices connected to the router.