Answered

Sonos Play:1 losing connection

• 11 April 2021
  • 5 replies

All other speakers are fine, one speaker receives connection was lost to Spotify because wifi was unstable. 

it is around 3 meters from wifi ap with strong signal, it’s about 4 m from 2 other Sonos, and the other Sonos all seem to connect via each other to a Sonos play one which is direct connected to network 

diagnostics 703065622

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 April 2021, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Unplug the Play:1 that is losing connection and the Play:1 directly connected to your network from power for about a minute.

Will give this a shot. 
I did notice on the network matrix that another speaker was acting as the main bridge instead of the one that was direct connected. 

It does however have a network device plugged into it to provide network (ipcam).

interestingly it is only the one speaker that has dropouts everything else is fine 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

HI @Spewdog 

Are you still having this issue?

I recommend you remove the camera connection from your Sonos speaker, at the very least for troubleshooting but ideally for good. 2.4 Ghz doesn’t provide that much bandwidth, and we prefer to keep all traffic on SonosNet for audio. A camera will use disproportionally more bandwidth.

I’m guessing Alfresco is the problem speaker as it has a lot of noise near it, and an 80% packet error rate (not good). Please check our reducing wireless interference page and try to remove any likely sources of interference from the immediate vicinity of the Alfresco speaker (1m, ideally). If the speaker is near a wall, please consider devices on the other side of the wall.

Please also move Alfresco closer to the Study speaker, if you can. If you can’t move it closer, please try moving it further away - it’s on the edge of adequate reception, and we either want it to get better, or to move far enough away that it falls back to a second connection option (to Kitchen, probably). Closer would be better, if you can.

Thanks @Corry P 

I have removed the connection to the kitchen speaker  which while that connection was in it was trying to act as the root bridge. 

that disconnection seems to have improved the alfresco speaker so far. Have not had a solid session of testing yet though  

correct it is the alfresco speaker, it is not near to anything much that could interfere with wireless apart from an LED wall light and also above the speaker is a steel tin roof. Could they be affecting the signal around it? 

I do have the ability to move the physical connection to a Sonos closer to the alfresco speaker would this possibly help improve?

im looking to try run a decent rest again this weekend on the alfresco speaker and see if it is still having the disconnects after removing the ipcam connection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Spewdog 

correct it is the alfresco speaker, it is not near to anything much that could interfere with wireless apart from an LED wall light and also above the speaker is a steel tin roof. Could they be affecting the signal around it? 

Yes. Both. The LED wall is more likely to interfere if it’s dimmable, I feel, but it probably depends on the quality (I’ve only come across one case where LED lights were confirmed to be the cause, so it’s rare but not unheard of). The metal surface could reflect the speaker’s WiFi transmissions back at the speaker which would interfere with the speaker’s reception of the router’s signal. This tends to be if it’s very close, however. I would certainly try moving the speaker, just to see. Removing the camera connection won’t fix the 80% packet error rate, but it will reduce the packets, so the speaker may be able to play but the interference will still be there if you don’t move the speaker/source.

I do have the ability to move the physical connection to a Sonos closer to the alfresco speaker would this possibly help improve?

Yes, but not without possibly affecting all other speakers in your system (probably a mix of positive and negative). Try moving Alfresco first. If you do move the ethernet connection to another room, be sure to test your entire system (including any likely-used groups) before going to any serious effort of hiding cables or moving furniture/shelves/speaker mounts. Also, make sure that the speaker you wire instead isn’t subject to (close to) sources of interference either.