Question

Sonos Play 1 in Bathroom UK - Power in Loft, Speaker outside Zone 1.

• 5 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi

I have been reading a lot about fitting Sonos speakers in Bathrooms. I know they advertise it that they are OK to use the Play 1 in the bathroom, but in the UK, it doesn't seem to be so clear.

While my apartment is being refurbished, I have the ceiling down in the bathroom. Before it gets boarded back up, I thought I better solve this issue as I do want a Play 1 in there.

So the power cable can be run through the ceiling plaster board, into its own power source in the Loft (top floor apartment). Will this be ok?

It's well away from Zone 1 (round a corner infact - it is an L shaped bathroom), and will be 2.6m high (tall ceilings).

Any thoughts?

Any help on this would be much much appreciated, and maybe if this question has been answered already, can point me in the right direction.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don't know about the UK, but in the US running a power cable/plug into an enclosed space is not allowed by code. You need certified in-wall cabling, which a regular power cable is not.
Thank you for the quick reply!

I understand what you are saying. Just to be clear also, the actual plug will be in the loft space. But yes, the power cable will be running through the ceiling boards. I have read elsewhere about hardwiring the Play 1 too...
It's really a shame the UK can't adopt the same codes as the US. Allowing GFCI outlets within a certain distance from water sources is certainly more convenient, not to mention it eliminates more dangerous hacking needed to bypass the razor socket rules.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
My bathrooms have a "light switch" style switch outside which isolates power inside the bathroom, to overhead fans inside. So I would guess this must be building regs, so that you can turn all power off from outside.
Could you not run the wires down studding cavity to such a switch, above the door frame, so that you could turn it off, if it malfunctioned?

Could you not run the wires down studding cavity to such a switch, above the door frame, so that you could turn it off, if it malfunctioned?

Yes I could do this quite easily. Is this all that is required do you think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It's only my best guess, you would need to ask a qualified electrician.
If you are in the UK, and you ever want to sell the house, you would need a certificate for the new wiring as well.