Answered

Sonos Play 1: gift with THE SURPRISE

• 19 February 2021
  • 17 replies

Hello friends! There is a problem: my friend gave me his old Sonos Play 1, but FORGOT to disconnect it from his account. I cannot connect it to my system until he disconnects it, but he switched from sonos to another system and does not want to remember his account. What should I do? I cannot reset it to factory settings.
icon

Best answer by Xander P 19 February 2021, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Why can’t you factory reset?  That is exactly what you need to do.  There is no need for your friend to do anything.

You will have to make a factory reset, then set the unit up unter ‘System → Add Product’.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

If it’s impossible to perform a factory reset, the unit may be defect.

I can’t reset to factory settings: the same symptoms on 2 speakers, I don’t think that this is a defect on 2 speakers at once. Is there some kind of base of MAC addresses of speakers? Direct contact with Sonos, reset to factory settings remotely?
Badge +17

Hey @Charly.rus,

We can’t factory reset your speakers remotely, but our customer care team will be able to walk you through getting your speakers reset and set up for you.

Let us know how you get on.

What do I need to do? Pressing 2 buttons and plugging it in - I tried it many times: 4 times blinks white and then lights up white.

Badge +17

Almost, try these steps:

1. Unplug the Play:1 from power and leave it for 30 seconds.
  2. Hold down the PlayPauseButton-Filled-28px.png Play/Pause button and plug the speaker in to power.
  3. Do not let go of this button.
  4. Once you see the light flash orange and white you can let go (this may take up to 30 seconds).
  5. The light should then start flashing green, and the speaker is fully reset.

If you’re having problems with this I’d still recommend contacting customer care.

Blinks white 3 times and turns solid white. on 2 speakers the same way. Orange NO. Tried it 3 times on each one.

These are definitely Play:1 speakers, not Sonos Ones?  Do they have physical buttons or touch controls?

@Charly.rus, It can take up to 60 seconds until the LED starts flashing orange, then green.

I did it for 60+ seconds - and one and 2 buttons, all 2 speakers ... no result.Shines solid white.

I'm in Vietnam now, there are no support contact centers here. The closest one is Singapore just calling, is there a chat with the support service?

• Unplug the Play:1 from power
  • Press and hold the Play/Pause button while plugging the unit back into the mains

@Charly.rus .  I am sure you are correct that it is very unlikely that both speakers have hardware faults.  So they really should reset!  I apologise for going over the same ground, but you must start holding the Play/pause button down firmly before you power on the speaker, and keep holding it down.  The light should start blinking and then that blinking light should turn orange.  When it turns orange, immediately release the button and wait until the light flashes green.

I expect that is what you have been doing anyway, but there is nothing else to suggest!

only 1 button? Because sometimes recomend Play/pause and “+” together. 

Is there a way to DEEP reset the firmware?
If you open the device?

Yes, the ‘Play/Pause’ button. And step back from opening the Play:1 or you are going to forfeit any further assistance from customer care.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Charly.rus,

That’s correct, you only need to hold the Play/Pause button down when performing the Factory Reset. On a side note, however;

With the Play:1 connected to power, and showing the white LED - if you press the Play/Pause and Volume + buttons at the same time, does the light change at all?

If the speakers are indeed failing to respond to this (we would expect the light to flash orange), that would be a sign of an issue with the speaker - in this case I’d recommend that you reach out to the Support Team.

If there isn’t a live chat option available in your region, you can change “Your Country" to United Kingdom, and you should be able to start a chat session :)

As mentioned by @Smilja, please don’t open the speaker, or the assistance we can offer will be limited.