Answered

Sonos Play:1 Cutting Out Over Ethernet

• 5 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone!

I’ve got a few Sonos speakers and just moved house, invested in a play one in preparation for setting the new house up.

I’ve had my play:1 for a couple of years believing that it was “wireless interference” causing the speaker to cut out and fail constantly.

Well, moved to the new house and the play:1 is on Ethernet with wireless disabled, still cutting out ridiculously.

Has anyone ever seen audio cutting out over Ethernet? I’m really glad I checked this before buying more for the rest of the house because this “wireless interference” fallacy lasted just long enough for my warranty to expire on the play:1.

I submitted diagnostics which are;

Thank you to anyone who can help.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 April 2019, 22:22

Since only Sonos employees can see those diagnostics, the rest of us will have to make some educated guesses.

Yes, you can have cutting out, even when wired, as each speaker still requires an IP address from your router, and those can be duplicated unwittingly.

There are two parts of your post that make me uncomfortable. First, that you've turned off the radios in the PLAY:1s. Since Sonos was originally designed to be a wireless system, it's just a little odd to me. Doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, and I don't even think that has any part of your issue, but I wanted to be clear about where I'm coming from.

The second part is the fact that you've moved houses recently. Generally speaking, the process of rebooting a router does the job of clearing out (technically resetting) the DHCP table where IP addresses are stored. So I'd have thought the process of resetting up your network would have erased the probability of this being an issue.

That being said, there was a software/firmware update this week, and it's not uncommon for that to cause issues with routers that are prone to this issue, due to the soft reboot of the speakers, which then request new IPs from the router.

So, I'm going to spout my normal process of unplugging the speakers from power, rebooting the router, and then plug back in the Sonos speakers. That should clear any potential duplicate IP addresses there may be. I'd also recommend that you look into reserving IP addresses for your network devices in your router's software. Usually takes a few minutes to do, depending on your router, but it makes your LAN just a bit more robust.

But I'm also not convinced that that is the correct answer. There may be more going on here than can easily be "read" in a forum, so I'll hope that the Sonos folks who read your diagnostic might be able to see further. I'd also recommend that you add information about the make and model of your router, I don't know if that data would show up in the diagnostic or not, as well as the source of the stream of music that's skipping for you.

Finally, this is technically a community forum, you may want to contact the Sonos support folks directly, via phone, where they probably have the widest variety of tools at hand, or Twitter or Facebook. contact Sonos .

Good luck!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Since only Sonos employees can see those diagnostics, the rest of us will have to make some educated guesses.

Yes, you can have cutting out, even when wired, as each speaker still requires an IP address from your router, and those can be duplicated unwittingly.

There are two parts of your post that make me uncomfortable. First, that you've turned off the radios in the PLAY:1s. Since Sonos was originally designed to be a wireless system, it's just a little odd to me. Doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, and I don't even think that has any part of your issue, but I wanted to be clear about where I'm coming from.

The second part is the fact that you've moved houses recently. Generally speaking, the process of rebooting a router does the job of clearing out (technically resetting) the DHCP table where IP addresses are stored. So I'd have thought the process of resetting up your network would have erased the probability of this being an issue.

That being said, there was a software/firmware update this week, and it's not uncommon for that to cause issues with routers that are prone to this issue, due to the soft reboot of the speakers, which then request new IPs from the router.

So, I'm going to spout my normal process of unplugging the speakers from power, rebooting the router, and then plug back in the Sonos speakers. That should clear any potential duplicate IP addresses there may be. I'd also recommend that you look into reserving IP addresses for your network devices in your router's software. Usually takes a few minutes to do, depending on your router, but it makes your LAN just a bit more robust.

But I'm also not convinced that that is the correct answer. There may be more going on here than can easily be "read" in a forum, so I'll hope that the Sonos folks who read your diagnostic might be able to see further. I'd also recommend that you add information about the make and model of your router, I don't know if that data would show up in the diagnostic or not, as well as the source of the stream of music that's skipping for you.

Finally, this is technically a community forum, you may want to contact the Sonos support folks directly, via phone, where they probably have the widest variety of tools at hand, or Twitter or Facebook. contact Sonos .

Good luck!