Question

Sonos only works in certain rooms with my new Vodafone router

• 7 June 2016
  • 7 replies

Hi,
I have recently switched over my TalkTalk router for a new service from Vodafone.
Everything works fine around my home except for my Sonos service.
The Vodafone router is set up in my kitchen and when I try to access my Sono service via any tablet or phone it wont pick you guys up.
If I step out of the kitchen and go to any other room in the house, the service is fine, and I can access and play music to the play 1 in the kitchen.
my set up is as follows:
Vodafone router with the Sonos bridge attached via Ethernet cable
various TP links around the home in order to hardwire Sky Box's and sonos products.

Have you ever heard of this problem?

Russ xx

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
I have recently switched over my TalkTalk router for a new service from Vodafone.
Everything works fine around my home except for my Sonos service.
The Vodafone router is set up in my kitchen and when I try to access my Sono service via any tablet or phone it wont pick you guys up.
If I step out of the kitchen and go to any other room in the house, the service is fine, and I can access and play music to the play 1 in the kitchen.
my set up is as follows:
Vodafone router with the Sonos bridge attached via Ethernet cable
various TP links around the home in order to hardwire Sky Box's and sonos products.

Have you ever heard of this problem?

Russ xx

Hi Russ,

After installing a new router it is a good idea to reboot each of your Sonos units. This causes them to reach out to your new router and get new network addresses. Please try that and let me know how it goes.
Hi Jeff,
thanks for replying.
I have re-booted all my Sonos equipment, as well as my phones and tablets.
It just wont work in the kitchen where the router is.
Its like its a dead space just in that room...?
The internet and other devices work absolutely fine, just not this one sonos speaker.
I have also gone into the router setting and changed the channel from Auto to 6 & 11. but nothing has changed....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
thanks for replying.
I have re-booted all my Sonos equipment, as well as my phones and tablets.
It just wont work in the kitchen where the router is.
Its like its a dead space just in that room...?
The internet and other devices work absolutely fine, just not this one sonos speaker.
I have also gone into the router setting and changed the channel from Auto to 6 & 11. but nothing has changed....

Hi Rustler500,

It sounds like your controllers can communicate with Sonos when connected to the TP Link signals but not your router's. There may be a feature on your router called wireless isolation which prevents wireless clients, such as your mobile phone, from communicating with wired clients, such as your BRIDGE, and by extension the rest of your Sonos system.

Please check the wireless settings on your router to see if it has wireless isolation enabled. If you can't find that option, please reply with the model number of your router.
Hi Jeff,
It was in fact a problem with the controller talking to the TP Links.
I spoke to your customer services yesterday and everything is now working fine.
The lady logged into my router remotely and sorted out the problem.
Thanks for all your help.
Russ
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
It was in fact a problem with the controller talking to the TP Links.
I spoke to your customer services yesterday and everything is now working fine.
The lady logged into my router remotely and sorted out the problem.
Thanks for all your help.
Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm happy to hear that your system is working again. Let us know if you run into any other issues.
I have just been through 2 months of not being able to use my Sonos service consistently - coinciding with a switch to Vodafone broadband.

The Sonos help team were brilliant and helped on several occasions to get it up and running again.

Vodafone this week finally admitted that its shiny new router was overloaded and gave me a username and password to connect my own modem. Since then - bliss.

My sonos system is not large, however there are in total 20 - 30 clients on my router, which were apparently too much for the V router to cope with.

If you run into the same problems, I would suggest asking Vodafone for a username and password and getting your own modem.
hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.
In the end I just got bored with the problems I was having with Vodafone and now have switched to Sky.
I'm happy to say that since the switch I've had no issues or drops in service.