Answered

Sonos only recognizes 1 speaker and only if hardwired to router.

• 6 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Moved from US to Europe and Sonos hasn't worked in over a year living here (during COVID lockdown, so even more angry).  App won't connect to my system over wifi, and only connects to one speaker when hardwired to the router. Stops working as soon as Ethernet connection removed. One, Sonos is supposed to be a wireless system, two, I have more speakers than ports on my router, and 3, no way in hell am I running Ethernet cable all over my house for a multi-thousand dollar system.  Have factory reset the speakers, no change. VPN or no VPN, same issue.  Beyond frustrated with the many wasted hours spent trying so set up a system that is supposed to be nearly plug and play.  Internet is Belgian Proximus. Router is a b-box 3V+

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 June 2021, 15:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Before getting angry and fuming for a year, did you consider following the instructions for this situation?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Factory resetting was unnecessary and counter-productive.

Your Sonos system is perfectly capable of operating wirelessly, if you just take the right steps.  

If you can see a hardwired speaker in the app you probably just need to go to Settings, System, Network and tap Wireless Setup.

@Ourbelgiumdays .  OK I apologise for the tone of my reply, but there are ways of asking for help…. and ways of not really asking for help but just making unjustified criticisms. “No way in hell am I running Ethernet cable all over my house…..”.  Given that that is totally unnecessary and nobody is suggesting you do that, why rant about it?

In a constructive spirit, the usual reasons for greyed out options are:

1. The operating system on your controller device is no longer capable of running the Sonos app, or
  2. The app version and the system versions are incompatible - one or both need to be updated

This link will help with point 1:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4875?language=en_US

On point 2, go to Settings, System, System Updates, Check for Updates.  You may have to do this twice to update both the app and the system.

Hey John,

Thanks for the condescending answer!  One, the app troubleshooting steps told me to factory reset the speakers, I did not just decide to try that on my own. And, when I go to the app settings tab now, the  "Account" "Settings" and "Services and Music" are all greyed out.  A little kindness if you choose to reply again, thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ourbelgiumdays 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If ​​​@John B’s advice didn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and it’s current state.