Question

Sonos One with Alexa Plus Echo Dot

• 10 October 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos One with Alexa along with an Echo Dot but the two wont operate together.

To give an example if I ask Sonos One to play music in the kitchen it will do it but if I ask the Echo Dot to play music in kitchen it tries to do it but tells me the speaker is Offline - and it’s the same will all of the other speakers. So Sonos One and Alexa do not act as one.

As far as I can tell they are linked in Alexa. I’d be grateful for any help in sorting this.

Thanks 

Allan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AllanH2814.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Commonly, when voice assistant like Alexa is unable to target a specific room can come as a result of room name conflicts.

• Please ensure that all device names under the Alexa app are unique.
  • Was there any change made in a Sonos room using the app?
  • Check for "special" room names that may mean something else to the Voice Assistant. Other words that the voice assistant may take as part of a command instead of the name of a room could cause targeting failures.

Please follow the steps here to submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Hi Ananazel

Thank you for helping.

I’m afraid the room name is not the issue - I do ensure the room names are very different so Alexa is very clear which room I’m speaking of - and both speakers correctly give the room name when responding to my Alexa request - I gave ‘the kitchen’ as an example in my initial enquiry but the same happens if I use the Dining Room speaker or any of the other speakers. Sonos One with Alexa acts on the instruction but the Echo Dot says the speaker is Offline. 

I have sent the diagnostic: 1793126237

Thanks again for taking the time to help me and I look forward to hearing from you further.

Kind Regards

Allan H

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AllanH2814.

Thanks for your response and update.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system detected that Sonos is experiencing poor wireless conditions, this could be caused by wireless interference due to wireless congestion.

Please refer to this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If that won’t help, try to remove and re-add the Alexa voice service, please follow the steps accordingly:

1. Using the Sonos app, navigate to Settings > Voice & Music Services > Alexa and remove the voice assistant from each Sonos product.
  2. Once the voice assistant is removed from Sonos, open the Alexa app, and remove any rooms or devices that are listed as Sonos products. In the Alexa app, confirm that the Sonos skill is disabled. 
  3. Once all links between Sonos and Alexa voice service have been removed, use the Sonos app to add the Voice Assistant back to the system.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.