Sonos One SL Not Connecting after Power Outage

• 2 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am located in Austin, Texas, which had severe winter weather two weeks ago. During the winter weather, power was out at our office and somehow our wifi router reset. After AT&T came out to set up the internet once again, even though it has the same network name, you had to reconnect. At the time, the Sonos system (two One SL + Beam) were not showing in the app. To troubleshoot I have:

1. Restarted the router
  2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Sonos App
  3. Unplugged and plugged back in the One SL
  4. Tried factory reset

Still, the speaker will not show up in the app (the “System”) section is grayed out. When I go to “select your product” to repair, it does not detect the speaker.

Please help!

Sarah

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I suppose the after experience of water issues probably didn’t have much of an effect on the speakers, but was also aggravating, at least for me in North Austin ;)

Are the Ones bonded as surrounds to the beam, or do you have them set up as separate rooms?

I’m mildly concerned that there may have been damage due to the power fluctuations before it actually dropped to your speakers. If you wire the Beam directly to your router with an Ethernet cable temporarily, does it then show up in your controller?

I can imagine! No water issues here, however. 

The Ones are in separate rooms from the beam. I am worried about the power fluctuations as well, as that seemed to have impacted the internet router. I have wired the One to internet via ethernet (wall plug in, not directly to the router) and was able to get the device to show on the setup screen, however it was not able to connect -- even when selecting “connected via ethernet”. 

Bleh. That’s not promising. I’m concerned about a potential Ethernet card issue, possibly due to that power outage. Can you run that Ethernet cable to either of the Ones….or I guess more easily, move the Ones to where they can be reached with that cable? It might help define whether the issue is in the Beam, or elsewhere. If you run a wire to the One, and both of them show up within a minute or two in the controller, we’ve identified the issue is most likely with the Beam. 

I’d also be tempted to do a preemptive  reboot of the router, just to be sure it’s properly hitting on all cylinders, even before messing with the Ones, just in case,

At the end of the day, it may be best to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

Nice to get sunshine today ;)

Just as a random further thought, it might be worth double checking the WiFi settings on the router, just to be sure. If all three devices were connected to the WiFi signal, a failure by a Ethernet card on the Beam shouldn’t affect the other two devices, and actually could be a better reason as to why all three aren’t connecting. Similarly, checking for a VPN or Firewall might be a good reason why the speakers can’t see the controller devices. Both/either of those would also explain why the controller couldn’t see the Beam when it was wired. 

Thanks so much for your help! So far I have only be testing the One SLs and not the beam. Yesterday I connected the One SL to the ethernet plug in on the wall and the device appeared in the sonos App (after clicking select your product), but was unable to connect. Since then, the device does not even appear when clicking on “select your product”… The account, system, and service & voice selections are all greyed out and we’re unable to select. The One SLs are on a mount, so difficult to move around. I will try moving the router so that the sonos can connect directly to that.