Question

Sonos One SL can't lead only follow

I have four Sonos One SL speakers around the house including one in my office. The speaker in my office will play music if I add it to a group with other speakers in the house - ie when its a “follower”. However if I want to play only on that one speaker or I chose that speaker as a “leader”, I get the message “Unable to play because server cannot be found”. Sometimes I try to trick it by starting to play music as part of a group then dropping out the other speakers. After a few seconds the playback stops and the message appears.

Very frustrating.

Help appreciated.

Thanks

14 replies

I have four Sonos One SL speakers around the house including one in my office. The speaker in my office will play music if I add it to a group with other speakers in the house - ie when its a “follower”. However if I want to play only on that one speaker or I chose that speaker as a “leader”, I get the message “Unable to play because server cannot be found”. Sometimes I try to trick it by starting to play music as part of a group then dropping out the other speakers. After a few seconds the playback stops and the message appears.

Very frustrating.

Help appreciated.

Thanks

The next time this happens, submit a diagnostic, then post the reference number here.  

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 1646307689.

It sounds rather like a DNS problem. Try powering the unit off and on again. 

A.wireless issue would be expected to manifest at all times, including as a group member. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Andre_Breton 

Thank you for following jgatie’s suggestion of sending us a diagnostic. I see from the report that your Office speaker is having issues with staying connected to the network. May I ask if you can wire a speaker into the router to see if Sonosnet will allow the speaker to play properly? I also would like to know what is the music source that you are playing from when you have experienced this issue.

Hello David. I just did an experiment and the speaker in question can in fact play Sonos Radio, Pandora and other streaming stations. But it cant play from the Music Library. The other speakers can play from the library. And as I mentioned before it can play from the Music Library if one of the other speakers is the lead speaker.

Shall I still try to wire it to the router?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hey @Andre_Breton 

I would like to let you know that it could be as ratty has mentioned that there is an issue with the DNS. I was seeing the “Unable to play because server cannot be found” message from the Ground Control speaker. I would like for you to proceed with wiring a speaker into the router so we can see how the system behaves in that setup. You may have to get in touch with our support team via telephone. We may need to collect more information about your network topology.

Hello David

I plugged the speaker labelled “Ground Control” into the router and it worked as it should. The other three speakers can play from the Library but “Ground Control” can’t  (unless it’s wired to the router). Shall I run another diagnostic?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Yes, I would like for you to run another diagnostic so we can how the system is doing while in Sonosnet.

Hello David:

Diagnostic confirmation number is: 212361771.

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks for the diagnostic. Your system is still connecting on your wifi and it's not showing any ethernet connection at all.

David

The speaker works well when connected by ethernet. I will plug it in and redo the diagnostic

Chris

David:

Here is the diagnostic confirmation number: 951718936 for the system with the faulty speaker (Ground Control) connected by ethernet cable to the router.

Look forward to your comments

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thank you for the updated diagnostic. Your system is communicating a lot better on Sonosnet so I would recommend purchasing the Sonos Boost. That device would be plugged into the router instead of the speaker which you can move it back to its original location. If you do not want to go down that route, I recommend giving us a call so we can out the issue with the network.

Hi David. I will try calling first before spending any more money. The distances in our house are not large. It used to work fine so it must be a software issue or something like that.

Thanks