Answered

Sonos ONE set up, flashing orange light

• 28 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Sonos ONE set up, flashing orange light. Unable to connect to WiFi wirelessly sitting literally next to the router or even when using ethernet cable. Light flashes green until it tries to connect to WiFi, then flashes orange. After a few seconds of not trying anything it flashes green again but will still not connect to WiFi. This ONE is brand new and has never been connected before. Not sure if it's a hardware issue or what is going on.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 May 2018, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Have you read the LED States FAQ?
Yes. It times out and says "Not Connected. Your Sonos player was not found." Then faq gives directions to check WiFi, make sure it's in range and make sure it's connected to the correct WiFi. The router is working and it's in range.
I think that I’d try connecting it to the router with an Ethernet cable, and see if it shows up then. If it does, I’d submit a diagnostic and either post the resultant number here, or call in to Sonos.

One other thing...this morning I triggered on your statement “literally next to the router”. Generally speaking, to avoid WiFi interference, you’d want at least 18 to 36 inches between the two devices. Not convinced this would solve the issue, but probably worth mentioning.

Moderator note:
In addition to the above, if you are looking for information as to what causes a Blinking Orange light to appear on your Sonos devices, there are a number of things that could be going on. The first thing to do would be to review this article here, which talks about what the different coloured lights on Sonos products mean. In my experience, it generally means the device is struggling to obtain an IP address. In these cases, unplugging the router for a few seconds tends to remedy this.

No luck? Try wiring it into your router via Ethernet. Does that then work? Try unplugging the Ethernet cable (without unplugging the speaker from power).

Does it drop off the system again after you do this, or does it not connect at all via cable? At this stage it would be wise to contact our care agents via telephone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I think I have the solution to this problem.

I have just set up 6 Play:1s. First one did exactly what the OP describes, even on a wired Ethernet connection to the router. I wondered whether it was dud, so opened the second. Same thing. And the third... So by then I realized it wasn’t the Play:1s which were the problem.

A bit of digging around disclosed this. My router has a setting which merges the 2.5 and the 5GHz channels into a single SSID. I had to undo that merger so as to separate the two channels. I then made sure my iDevice (that I was using to add the players) was connected to the 2.4GHz SSID. Presto, I was then able to add the players to my system. Once I had joined them all to the system, I was able to re-merge the 2.4 and 5GHz channels into a single SSID and everything stayed working.

HTH anyone else who runs into the dreaded flashing orange light problem.