Sonos One only connects to Mac via app?

• 30 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Is this really a speaker that can only be used for specific apps? I'm trying to connect it as I would any other speaker for my MacBook Air, so that i can use netflix and youtube, dvds etc that arent explicitly music apps. From what ive seen on the forum it can be used as an airplay speaker but doesnt seem to work when I select it from settings/sound. Am i missing something?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It is true that Airplay 2 is not supported for 'system audio' on Mac OS.

AirPlay 2 system requirements are shown below:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 11.4 or later
Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 11.4 or later
HomePod with iOS 11.4 or later
Mac or PC with iTunes 12.8 or later

This link below explains things in more detail...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208728
Note that Sonos has no control over what works on MacOS, in terms of AirPlay 2. They only receive the signal, they don't generate it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I did update to the latest Mojave IOS last week. I am able to cast system audio from my MAC now. All audio from my Mac does airplay to SONOS.
Which is an Apple decision, not a Sonos one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I completely agree with you. I am just stating that it does work, and that blaming SONOS is not a viable argument. I am suggesting that the OP update to the latest MAC operating system.
I completely agree with you. I am just stating that it does work, and that blaming SONOS is not a viable argument. I am suggesting that the OP update to the latest MAC operating system.This is my understanding too. You can Airplay 2 from a Mac provided it is running OS 10.13.6 or higher. Of course, there will be Macs out there that are too old to run that OS, but there is nothing Sonos can do about that.