Answered

Sonos One not showing in Airplay

• 3 January 2021
  • 23 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

All of a sudden, my 2 Sonos Ones are not showing up in my Airplay list.  I have not changed anything and they were working fine a couple weeks ago.  I have tried power cycling them.  

I have seen this exact issue on multiple boards and the answer is always that it’s “odd”.  How can it be odd if it is obviously happening to people on a fairy consistent basis?  Sounds like a Sonos issue that should be addressed.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 January 2021, 13:54

View original

23 replies

Sonos has over 10 million households worldwide.  A dozen posts on here over many months doesn't suggest a generic problem to me. You aren't even really using the Sonos system when you use Airplay. 

Have you tried rebooting all of router, speakers and control devices?

zero,

Here is a list of suggestions that Apple have mentioned in the past to try to fix Airplay issues and these suggestions apply to many other Airplay compatible devices… as you can perhaps see none of the things in the list mention Sonos, so I suspect this is something for Apple to resolve, but anyhow here are some things fir you to try:

• Plug all devices into a wall outlet instead of using battery power
  • Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Connect to the same WiFi network
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or reboot the router
  • Switch off any security software and VPN software installed on the broadcasting device

I had the same issue of suddenly not seeing my sonos amp or sonos one in my AirPlay list on my iPhone. I power cycled both sonos devices, then restarted my iPhone and it resolved.

I power cycled both sonos devices, then restarted my iPhone and it resolved.

Excellent advice and so simple! Many thanks.

Badge

Sonos has over 10 million households worldwide.  A dozen posts on here over many months doesn't suggest a generic problem to me.

Because people always post when things like this happen? Except no, they don’t. Almost no one posts things like this because it’s too much trouble. The fact that there are a dozen posts on this tiny little site indicates this is is a widespread problem and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Because people always post when things like this happen? Except no, they don’t. Almost no one posts things like this because it’s too much trouble. The fact that there are a dozen posts on this tiny little site indicates this is is a widespread problem and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

A few years back there was an actual “widespread” problem with a single Sonos device, the Playbar, a rather expensive, relatively low sales item, and the problem only manifested itself with a certain brand of TV.  Even so, the main thread for that problem made it past 200 posts, and ended up being almost 10 pages, even though a fix was almost immediate. 

Another time the Playbar was found to be affected with all TV’s.  That thread hit 75 pages and over 1800 posts.  There was also a couple dozen or so other threads about the same problem.

So no, a dozen posts does not mean a widespread problem, people most certainly do post here when there is an actual problem, and this is not a tiny little site. 

I have this problem as well

Yup, experiencing this too. Frustrating.

So, submit a diagnostic, and contact Sonos support directly. 

I had one of the Sonos zones disappear but followed guidance:

1. Updated to latest iOS 15.x
  2. Restarted Wifi router(s) - Mesh network of 2 satellites
  3. Restarted the Sonos One amps

Back up and running!

I hate that you have to link to app. Would rather connect trough airplay because not all apps work in app. I have 3 Sonos Ikea speakers, and every time my wifi drops, or my phone does a big update, I have to unplug and resync each speaker for it to work on airplay. I would buy something else if I hadn’t already invested so much money and time already. Do not recommend!!! 👎👎

Really frustating. Came here looking for solution twice under one week of buying sonos product for different issues. Strangely im not alone and still products are out there with so many flaws. Should we even consider sonos product under quality products with so many technical issues out there. 

Not sure what you’re reading, but in all resolved cases posted to this board, the issue hasn’t been Sonos, but either the network itself, or an Apple issue. Plenty of posts from people who have never bothered to post their resolution, of course. 

Just in case anyone is still wondering about this, it appears that airplay won’t work if your Sonos “one” speakers are acting as surrounds in an older generation system that doesn’t have airplay compatiblity. This is the problem I have. It’s a pity.

Also have this problem.  Worked fine few days ago. Nothing changed, bla bla.  

Flaky system.  

Wish: 

Sonos would be more reliable.  
Posters wouldn’t neg other posters as above.  
This is likely a common problem. I own 5 sonos devices and am too busy and not interested in dithering around getting them to function properly.  Looking for other brands in future. I’m done w sonos. 

All these problems are sonos issues. Expect their engineers to develop products that function w apple devices and popular wifi networks.  

Flaky system.   

Sorry, almost certainly flaky network and/or Apple device.

My Sonos speakers are all working fine here with Airplay2, as seen from an iPadOS 15.5 (screenshot attached) - all my iOS and Sonos devices always show and no difficulties with any playback. I have them listed as accessories to in the Home(kit) App too - it’s a case of the Bonjour/Airplay discovery services working correctly across the local network. See below links:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depf138dd79c/web

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/dep9151c4ace/1/web/1.0

Despite the constant overwhelming denial of Sonos problems, once again this is a Sonos software issue, or in fact a combination of issues:

Settings > System > Network > Manage Networks…

Delete any unused wifi networks (red arrows above).

Then click “Update Networks”

Follow the instructions and select: Yes > Find System > Select (any product) > Re-enter Wifi Password

This will then start a process to connect to the product (speaker) selected above by wifi (Sonos Network), reinstate the wifi network, and (once updated) then reconnect to the home wifi network and reconnect your iDevice also. At the end of this process the Sonos system will then talk to the other devices in the system and reinstate all devices wifi connections. This process should take no more than a few minutes and will give a confirmation on completion.

Following the above airplay should once again work on all devices in the network.

So, submit a diagnostic, and contact Sonos support directly. 

So helpful, thank you

People like you discourage folks from posting because your know-it-all attitude is very depressing. Many people never take the time to seek information from boards like this and therefore would never post. Those that know about board may read possible solutions but never post their situation. Take a breath, pull your head out, and understand that yours is but one viewpoint, as is mine.

A few years back there was an actual “widespread” problem with a single Sonos device, the Playbar, a rather expensive, relatively low sales item, and the problem only manifested itself with a certain brand of TV.  Even so, the main thread for that problem made it past 200 posts, and ended up being almost 10 pages, even though a fix was almost immediate. 

Another time the Playbar was found to be affected with all TV’s.  That thread hit 75 pages and over 1800 posts.  There was also a couple dozen or so other threads about the same problem.

So no, a dozen posts does not mean a widespread problem, people most certainly do post here when there is an actual problem, and this is not a tiny little site. 

I had one of the Sonos zones disappear but followed guidance:

1. Updated to latest iOS 15.x
  2. Restarted Wifi router(s) - Mesh network of 2 satellites
  3. Restarted the Sonos One amps

Back up and running!

Worked for me:

• Restart iPhone (not sure if this was necessary)
  • Reboot Wifi router (from the Wifi provider app, I didn’t unplug it)
  • Unplug power cords on all sonos devices
Userlevel 1

I have six different types of Airplay device including a Sonos Roam, a Sonos One and a Sonos playbar. I only ever have a problem with the Sonos One. It’s cured with a router reboot.

Router reboots are a nuisance. 

I repeat, I have never had a problem with other Airplay devices, including other Sonos devices.

And no, I really don’t want to have to play music through the Sonos service 🤦🏼‍♂️

same issue.   tried to resolve with the instructions above and nothing.