Sonos One not appearing as an AirPlay choice on iPhone only (works through my iMac)

• 8 February 2021
  • 3 replies

After recent iOS upgrades (it seems), my Sonos 1 speaker stopped showing up as a choice from my iPhone.  I have done no other changes, to my network or the router setup.   I did try deleting my Sonos app and reinstalling it.  

The odd part is that I can still play to my Sonos from my iMac by choosing on the AirPlay drop down.

I can also play to my Sonos speaker from the iPhone Sonos app - see below, but no longer as a drop down anymore from the iPhone home screen.  In the attached, I am playing music to my Sonos, through the app.  but the second attachment, the speaker is not showing, even though the music is actually playing to the speaker from my phone  

I used to be able to select my Sonos speaker (Name of speaker = “Home”) from the drop down here.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @akaWally_1995,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information about this.

You can stream via AirPlay 2 on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts, and other audio directly to your Sonos products.  AirPlay is not available on Sonos speakers that are set up as surround speakers. Sonos speakers cannot be used to play AirPlay audio while the source device is on a phone call. When streaming via AirPlay, you can control the volume from the source device. 

Let me suggest the following steps to isolate the issue and see if it works for you.

1. Check for Sonos update 
    • System > System Updates > Check for Updates.
  2. Check iOS device software update
    • Settings > General > Software Update
  3. Turn off and on iOS device
    • Test AirPlay from your iOS device.
  4. Try with another iOS mobile device

If you’re still unable to stream via AirPlay on your iOS device, it would be best to contact our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of your network devices to look into this. Our support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

I’m having the same issue. My iPhone XR can longer airplay to any Sonos speakers after upgrading to iOS 14.4. My non updated iPad does not have this issue. 

I can connect to the speakers through the Sonos app but that is all. The Sonos app and iOS is all current. 

please advise. Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TJpros, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Have you tried rebooting your iOS device? Were you able to stream via AirPlay after? If you're still facing the same, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.