Answered

SONOS ONE - Having trouble understanding right now.....

• 5 November 2017
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 1
Had my SONO ONE for approximately 2 weeks. It worked for the first few days then just stopped. Tried resetting it, deregistering it, unskilling it, etc. Managed to get it now playing SPOTIFY no problem but as far as ALEXA is concerned, it does not want to know. Every time you use the wake-up phrase 'Alexa...' it just states 'Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding, please try a little later....'. I have tried everything I can think of and spent 4 hours on it (I have even hard wired it with an RJ45 Patch lead to ensure it was updated okay). unless any suggestions on here then I shall have to make a call next week.:?:@
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 27 November 2017, 19:34

Thanks for the diagnostics everyone. If you're still having trouble, the first thing I recommend doing is going through the setup process again. It really cleans up a lot of server communication issues and any old caches. You'd do this by removing the Alexa Skill, going into the Sonos app and disabling the Voice Services, and then following through and setting it up again.

Make sure that you've signed out of all Amazon apps on your mobile device as this error can come up if you're using two Amazon accounts and the wrong one gets cached.

If you're still having trouble, there are some really great Alexa and Sonos troubleshooting steps to start with here.

Finally, I'd encourage you to give us a call on our support line if you're still not in a good place. We're a bit busy, but we're here to help and will get to everyone as soon as possible.
View original

61 replies

Solved. On the alexa app I disabled the skill. Forgot the speaker. Went onto the sonos app and went to voice settings. Went into the sonos one and where it says Alexa I removed it. Then restarted the process of adding it all back again. Will see if it stops again
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the diagnostics everyone. If you're still having trouble, the first thing I recommend doing is going through the setup process again. It really cleans up a lot of server communication issues and any old caches. You'd do this by removing the Alexa Skill, going into the Sonos app and disabling the Voice Services, and then following through and setting it up again.

Make sure that you've signed out of all Amazon apps on your mobile device as this error can come up if you're using two Amazon accounts and the wrong one gets cached.

If you're still having trouble, there are some really great Alexa and Sonos troubleshooting steps to start with here.

Finally, I'd encourage you to give us a call on our support line if you're still not in a good place. We're a bit busy, but we're here to help and will get to everyone as soon as possible.
I was also having the issue of Alexa "not understanding". This worked for me.

Try the following:

1. Go into the Sonos App
2. Click on "More..." > Settings > Room Settings

You may see: There are mo features available for this room" next to a red dot.

3. Click on the room you have your Sonos one

You my see: Alexa is not working on all speakers. Please sign in again.

4. Tap on the message and choose: "Reauthorize Amazon Alexa in this room"

Good luck.
Had same problem. Seems all my Sonos One Alexa's somehow got deauthorized from Amazon which is why Alexa has trouble understanding until it's corrected. Easy fix. Open Sonos app, go to Settings, click on Room Settings. Then pick your first room where Alexa isn't understanding and click on it. Voice Services will show the account Alexa is signed in as - click that, a window opens, then choose 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this room'. Then where your account info was for the same room setting it should say 'Add Amazon Alexa' - press it and follow the prompts to Sign in to Amazon. After signed in, click 'Allow' to reauthorize Alexa on the speaker. Click continue and if you have a second speaker or more, you'll have to 'Allow' each of them to reauthorize. Was pretty easy and I'm back up and running!
It’s not been resolved here! I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve disabled, reenabled the skill and rediscovered. It’s still saying sorry....
UPDATE: Got it to respond to me after starting over - but now when trying to play music it just says "Sorry, something went wrong."

So --- this thing is pretty useless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yeah, I was just missing the closing "]" on there... I fixed it.
I was also having the issue of Alexa "not understanding". This worked for me.

Try the following:

1. Go into the Sonos App
2. Click on "More..." > Settings > Room Settings

You may see: There are mo features available for this room" next to a red dot.

3. Click on the room you have your Sonos one

You my see: Alexa is not working on all speakers. Please sign in again.

4. Tap on the message and choose: "Reauthorize Amazon Alexa in this room"

Good luck.

Great,thanks
Worked for me too
Ok, this worked for me:
Go to the Sonos app and select
< ... More >
< Voice Services >
< Amazon Alexa >
< Room Settings >
Then the problem speaker
Under Voice Services, tap < Amazon Alexa> and

I set up one of my speakers again, and the other one also started working.
Hope it works generally.
Guys Be Patient.. Don't get Frustrated.. I know that this shouldn't happen but, in my case happened when I updated my Sonos Firmware, so:
Un-link the accounts in both apps , disable Alexa skill and re-add it again, and then authorise the app in the Sonos APP on your phone * (never found the option in my Mac)...
Hope this helps!
Ok, this worked for me:
Go to the Sonos app and select
< ... More >
< Voice Services >
< Amazon Alexa >
< Room Settings >
Then the problem speaker
Under Voice Services, tap < Amazon Alexa> and

I set up one of my speakers again, and the other one also started working.
Hope it works generally.

This worked like a charm - thank you very much!!
Perhaps you might submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at?
Userlevel 1
Hi

Yes thanks for that. I have done exactly that and the diagnostics confirmation number is 8048971.
Great, I'd expect someone from Sonos to respond soon. If you run out of patience, you could also try one of their other methods of support, detailed at https://www.sonos.com/contact
Same here, I can control it fine with the Sonos app but Alexa doesn't want to hear anything from anyone
Userlevel 1
Thanks Bruce, it's currently a waste of space as Alexa just a speaker.......
same issue--at first, Alexa worked fine,after a few days, alexa responded correctly, but would not control Sonos. Spoke with Amazon help, and after deregistering, now alexa does nothing. Sonos still works fine from app
Again, a diagnostic would be your best bet, and post the number here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi

Yes thanks for that. I have done exactly that and the diagnostics confirmation number is 8048971.

Looks like you might have been running into an issue we were working with that's now resolved. Can you turn your microphone back on and give it a test drive?

If you have any trouble, please disable the Alexa skill, then re-enable it and discover devices again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It’s not been resolved here! I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve disabled, reenabled the skill and rediscovered. It’s still saying sorry....

Would you mind following the steps here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
I am having the same issue. But it only worked as an alexa speaker for 10 mins. I unplugged - said sorry once and now is totally unresponsive. Diagnoistic number is 8065046
Having the same issues for a few days now. Driving me crazy. Can't believe I replaced a cheap echo dot for this.

Unplugging the device from the wall and plugging it back in seems to temporarily fix this. Doesn't last long though

Here's my diagnostic code: 8073263
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Here's my diagnostic code: 8073263
That diagnostic is only showing your iOS device, not any Sonos players. I'd recommend that you give us a call on our support line if you haven't yet. Let's work on this live with a technician to sort out what's giving you trouble.
I have the same issue - "I am having trouble understanding..." I have power cycled the device and it fixes it but within a day it is back to being useless. I submit a diagnostic 8115822. I am ready to take it back to the store since it is not working at all, so if there is no fix I am returning it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sounds like it'd be best to give us a call on our support line, smjones. You shouldn't have to power cycle it at all. The diagnostic you posted doesn't have your Sonos One listed, so I wonder if there's something in the background causing the issue here with that unit dropping off. We'd love to see what's happening closer.