Answered

Sonos One Google Assistant and Youtube music premium - Playback paused because this account is being used in another location

Sonos One Google assistant and Youtube music premium

Error: Playback paused because this account is being used in another location

Sonos one bought in the UK, for at least 30% of songs it just skips the song and shows the above error.

For example while playing Indian Summer by Jai Wolf

icon

Best answer by Simon B 15 August 2020, 18:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @mittaltanind,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue.

Can you confirm that this YouTube Music account is not streaming on a different phone, speaker or other location, as the error message is suggesting?

If this is persisting, please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app and include the confirmation number in your reply. 

The data in this report will help us understand what is happening with your music service playback.   

Userlevel 1

I can confirm I have the same issue and that no other devices are using the YouTube music subscription at the same time.

As requested I have submitted diagnostics - confirmation number 47976698.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Murch, thanks for reaching out. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Regarding your concern, I’ll ask some things to assist further on this issue. 

• Is it also happening on the Native Youtube Premium App?
  • Have you tried to remove and readd your Youtube premium account on the Sonos App to check if the issue will persist?
  • Can you try to change your password, just to make sure that no one is trying to access your account on other locations?

On the diagnostic that you provided, I can’t see any issues with the Sonos system. and with the Youtube premium subscription. If this won’t still work, then we’ll check for other options for this issue.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Simon B thanks for getting back to me.

The issue is intermittent, and isn't happening right now, so I can't do much trouble shooting right now.

But I can confirm the following:

1. The issue has never occurred in the native app or on my Google Nest Mini.

2. I can confirm from my YouTube music listening history that there has been no unauthorised/unknown usage of the account, and most certainly not at the time of the issue.

I have recently switched over the subscription from Google Play  music to YouTube music. Previously I sometimes had issues with the Assistant on Sonos where you'd ask for a song by a slightly incorrect title A, it would recognise it enough to come back and say now playing (correct title) B on Google Play music, followed by something along the lines of the song being unavailable on Google Play. I haven't had that issue since switching to the YouTube subscription, but feels similar in nature and frequency - i.e. it happens after the song is identified and requested, and exclusively with the Sonos Google Assistant, not native apps or native assistants.

Same problem, unable to play any music via sonos youTube music from any device (mac, iphone, android).  Diagnostic report # 138278629.

YouTube not being used at any other location.  Also originally Google Play Music user.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Murch, thanks for the update. If it does happen again in the future, feel free to reach out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AaronW, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Regarding your concern about the diagnostic that you provided, I can’t see any issues with the Sonos system. and with the Youtube premium subscription set up on your Sonos account. I'll ask some questions to assist further.

•  Have you tried to remove and readd the Youtube Music on your Sonos App? 
  • Have you tried another device if it’s the same error?

I have the same issue with YouTube Music.

Google Play Music doesn’t have the same issue.

Diagnostics #  863107402.

Play works fine on Android and when casting.

Tried to Reauthorize and Readd the service. Both didn’t help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @clas00904, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking, you have the Google play music and the Youtube Music added on the Sonos App, I’ll ask you to try to remove the Google Play Music and Youtube Music. and readd just Youtube Music. let’s see if it will work.

Hi @Simon B.

I tried removing both service and adding only YouTube Music. That didn’t help.

It seems to be happening for certain artists only.

If I try to play anything by Queen, then I always get the error.

Other artists play just fine.

The player returns “TransportStatus=ERROR_SONOSAPI_7” if that helps in any way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @clas00904, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to do some basic troubleshooting to resolve the issue. Regarding this concern and error message, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may request for remote access or screen share to your controller or device where you have the Sonos App to further check what could be causing this issue. 

@Simon B I don’t want to do that. I will just use Google Play Music instead and hopefully you have fixed the YouTube issue when it gets closed.

Does Bohemian Rhapsody play on your YouTube Music account?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @clas00904, thanks for the update. I'll do my best to find a fix about the issue. Bohemian Rhapsody plays on my Youtube Music. It is the 2011 mix that I have on Youtube Music. Also, if you have time, kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Don’t know if this helps anyone… I’ve had this problem for a while now google play would work fine, but youtube music wouldn’t play stating the usual: your account is being used on another device, when it wasn’t. 

I opened the sonos app, selected settings, opened Services & Voice. under Voice I selected add a service and then chose Google assistant. 

Everything then started to work for me all youtube music has played perfectly since yesterday! 

I hope this helps someone?

Don’t know if this helps anyone… I’ve had this problem for a while now google play would work fine, but youtube music wouldn’t play stating the usual: your account is being used on another device, when it wasn’t. 

I opened the sonos app, selected settings, opened Services & Voice. under Voice I selected add a service and then chose Google assistant. 

Everything then started to work for me all youtube music has played perfectly since yesterday! 

I hope this helps someone?

Nope Sorry this has stopped working again :( 

Any help would be appreciated 

I have exactly same problem. 

When I ask assistant to play Johny Cash, I have no problem. If I ask for London Grammar and I get same error. On the screen of Sonos app, few songs from London Grammar jumps from one to another with this error and noting plays. 

If I search for London Grammar in the Sonos app and start play, it works. Issue is only via assistant. 

Not even mentioning issue where Sonos does not understand 80% of time I want something and my Google activity is full of Sonos Unknown requests.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @leviticus71, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that the issue still persists after doing some necessary troubleshooting steps. You might want to check this link on Youtube Music support which has the exact same error message. but If that still doesn’t work, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps to check what could be causing this issue. 

Hi @HyperKo, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you’re having the same issue. I want to ask some questions to further check.

• Have you tried it on another controller device where you have the Sonos App if the issue persists?
  • When did it start happening?
  • Are there any changes made on the settings on the Google Assistant or Youtube Music and Sonos before the issue occurred?
  • Is your Youtube Music account being used in other locations?
  • Does it happen randomly or on almost all the song requests?

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi @Simon B 

Thank you for your attention.

I'm currently using only only one Sonos One and Sonos app for android. I have device for few days now.

It was happening as of beginning. Some commands seems to be easier to understand but Sonos. For example "Play Johny Cash" and some more difficult. I haven't tried much voice commands as I looked like an I*** in front of my family. My cat seems to understand me better than my Sonos. Usually, the slower and louder I speak, the better Sonos understand. I don't have this issue with Google Assistant on my phone, Shield, Tablet.

I'm not aware of any changes that I would do. I'm new to smart home, so I'm using very basics. 

My YouTube music is connected also to my Shield TV, but during testing, I have made sure that Shield is turned off. 

It happens each time I ask for playing London Grammar. But as I said, I can play it on the YouTube music, on the Sonos, if I launch it from my phone. 

Important to note that the only function here for Sonos is to take your voice input, and pass it off to the Google cloud for processing. Sonos does no processing of voice commands in their own software. Once the cloud processes what it received, it sends back a digital command to whatever device needs to be told to do something. In your case, it’s the speaker to play a particular track or artist, streaming from a particular service.

Since you indicate you’re not having issues with other input devices, my guess is there’s something impeding your voice reaching the microphones on the Sonos, so Sonos is having trouble hearing, and sending that information to Google for processing. I’d take a look at the environment that is around the speaker to see if there’s anything that may be blocking your voice from clearly reaching the speaker’s microphones. 

There’s always the slight possibility of a failure on the electronics of the Sonos. If you think there may be an issue with the microphones on your speaker, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Dear @Airgetlam i can see your point. 

I have googled on the internet, and there are many people complaining about the same issues with Google Assistant on Sonos.

• Does not understand
  • Does not provide voice feedback
  • Does provide feedback but does not take an action

I have tried my Sonos at 3 different places. 

This is how it looks when Sonos does not react - it is from 1 meter distance from the speaker that is at the level of my eyes (could be due to position of microphone in the Sonos).

While from same distance, talking to my phone has around 90% of accuracy.

Tested in the quiet room. Sonos is placed nearby router. That could cause interference, but even when I made a test with Sonos at the window, furthest from the all devices at home, issue was same. 

Then I would repeat my statement about calling Sonos support.

I have this problem as well, albeit isn’t when using Google Assistant - it happens when trying to play via the Sonos app.

It happens intermittently.  I first reported the issue to Youtube Music about a year ago, and despite multiple interactions there has been no progressed.  I also reported it to Sonos, who after taking me through a bunch of troubleshooting could come up with no solution.  

The same tracks that don’t work on Youtube Music are fine when using Google Play Music as the source within the Sonos app.  The tracks also work fine when using Youtube Music in its own app or via the web.

The problem seems to be playing via the Sonos app.  Unclear whether it is a Google problem or a Sonos problem, but it doesn’t seem like either see it as a priority to fix (though Sonos support has been a lot easier to work with!).

Userlevel 2

I have this problem too, had it for months. Premium subscription. Same experience of YouTube Music support being dismissive or inappropriate  ("have you tried switching your Sonos speaker off and on again?"). It's Google believing their "single stream limit" is being breached. Almost certainly a defect in their Sonos plugin service that will only get fixed when Sonos approaches them to take it seriously.

I have the same problem

I do not use any other device 

My diagnostics number 1312538136

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @ziad, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. And for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Sorry to hear about this issue. Upon checking, Youtube Music is added on your account. If you have tried to remove and readd the Music service and it still doesn’t work. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  They may request for remote access on your device controller where you have the Sonos App to check further.

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.