sonos one dropping out during play back

• 25 April 2022
  • 1 reply

I have two sonos one speakers grouped together, one downstairs and one upstairs.

The one downstairs was dropping out every now & again which was really starting to get on my nerves. I put up with it for a while but eventually enough was enough. I thought you spend all this money for a high end system & it don't work as it should.

Luckily my bro in-law is a I.T technology installer & when he visited I asked him to dive deep, alot deeper than i ever dare to go in my settings & set up.

He did find that something was not quite right when he ran some tests.

We tried a few different things, settings within my wifi router which didn't really make a huge difference. Also resetting the speakers from scratch.

Long story short through trial & error we found that the energy smart meter box that tells you what gas & electric your consuming was the culprit. (Too close maybe)

We unplugged it & powered the unit off, hey presto the speaker is now stable & working perfectly.

My message here is...... I read that these smart meters cannot & should not interfere with your home WiFi set up, because they use an independent system to send info to the receiver  Well just don't believe everything you read because my smart meter receiver is unplugged & my Sonos speaker is now working without a blip (fingers crossed)

What im going to do is move the smart meter receiver away from both the speakers & switch on, see if the issue returns, if not happy days, if it does then it will stay off.

Any interference with any home WiFi set up its worth being mindful if you have these energy smart meters fitted that are sending a signal to receiver.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ffcookie28 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

And, thank you for sharing your experience.

My message here is...... I read that these smart meters cannot & should not interfere with your home WiFi set up, because they use an independent system to send info to the receiver  Well just don't believe everything you read because my smart meter receiver is unplugged & my Sonos speaker is now working without a blip (fingers crossed)

You are right to say don’t believe everything you read! The smart meter (by your circuit breakers) will communicate with it’s display (the portable part) over 2.4 GHz - the same frequency that WiFi uses - and also uploads it’s meter reading to the power company via LTE (mobile/cellular network), which can also operate near the 2.4 GHz range. There is no reason these devices wouldn’t interfere with each other - especially in close proximity.

However, when not in close proximity, they should be able to function side-by-side. Changing your WiFi channel number may help with this - it might be time to buy your brother-in-law another beer.

Baby monitors, CCTV cameras, microwaves, even wireless mice and keyboards all use 2.4 GHz - it’s always a good idea to think in terms of interference whenever there’s an issue with playback on Sonos.

Thanks again, and I’m glad you got things fixed!