Sonos One disconnecting from WiFI

I am having trouble with my One continually disconnecting form my WiFi network. I am able to setup and configure with the network cable plugged in. I then move the One to the room where I want it setup and have no problem connecting via WiFi for an hour or two. When I am done using the One or sometimes just after some time has passed, the One loses its connection to the network and I have to reconnect it to my WiFi using the cable. Is there a remedy for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

74 replies

Is there any update on this, it keeps happening to me too

Thanks for the reply. So If I have read things correctly, my only option is to use my Sonos One while it it plugged into my Google Nest Router via ethernet cable?  That would be useless as my router is on a different level of my house from where I want to use my Sonos. It’s really too bad that Sonos couldn’t figure out an easy fix for using this device with Google’s WiFi setup. If I can’t figure this out I’ll have to try to get my money back and move on from using Sonos products. :-(

For situations when the Sonos device(s) are not near the router hub, Sonos offers the Sonos Boost as a less expensive wired unit.  See here:

Sonos Boost

Same problem for me. I spent 3 months with the support team and changed the speaker once. It did not help. The solution was to get rid of the One, which is, said the support team, very sensitive (unstable) in term of network connection. 
Hopefully all my other speakers, Play 1, 3 and 5 don’t face any problem.

Unfortunately Sonos does not want to officially acknowledge there is a problem with their One speaker. Until the issue - hardware or software- is not solve, people will always have problems. 

My personal experience has been somewhat different.

I have a remote (add-on) utility room (extension) near to my rear garden area that’s a good forty feet away from my front room based netgear router and Sonos Boost. In-between the Boost and utility, there are two breeze-block walls and an outer insulated brick wall and my Sonos One’s in the utility communicate just fine directly back to my Sonos Boost. I can’t say I have ever had any issues with the Sonos One Speakers.

The Sonos Move speaker that I sometimes take into the rear garden and place on the patio table also works equally well.

Perhaps you live in a rather unique environment that has some kind of WiFi interference?

Anyhow, I was certainly that impressed, that I have just purchased the Sonos One SL from a local store (John Lewis) and added that to my Sonos account two days ago and so far that’s working okay here too.

So it seems each of our experiences of the Sonos One Speaker is rather different and very much poles apart.

Bruno92,

Not sure why you’ve posted the same post twice, but just to say I don’t have the iPhone 11, but do use the iPhone XR and iPad with iOS 13.3 and those devices are working fine here with the 'Move’ Bluetooth etc.

Wifi interference issues? ... I have 20+ Sonos devices about the Home and have chosen to run them on the Sonos STP wireless protocol. Some strategic devices are wired to reduce interference that appears around the units in the Sonos Network Matrix, but most run on a wireless signal. 

I have set the SonosNet channel to sit 5+ channels away from the routers non-overlapping 2.4ghz chosen channel, which I fixed, post WifiInfoView scan of my locality, as it’s nice/helpful to understand the neighbouring channels that exist from the neighbours. Note these will change, from time to time, as neighbours do like to reboot their auto-channel-selecting WiFi routers. 

Wifi credentials are not stored in my Sonos App (Network/Wireless Setup), as recommended by the members in this community and I have placed the Sonos ‘Moves’ onto my 5ghz WiFi Band to prevent fallback to 'mixed mode', which those speakers may allow, as they are unable to run on SonosNet (which is obviously a good thing for all moveable nodes accessible in an STP environment).

The other thing I have done to improve stability, is to set the IP addresses of all Sonos Products as ‘Reserved’ in the main routers DHCP Reservation Table and personally chosen to set them high up in the subnet, in sequence, just to keep things tidy and out the way of other devices.

My Sonos matrix connections are all showing green connections between the SonosNet STP connections and that shows that interference in/around and also between the products is minimal and so all are in good shape.

All access points wired and wireless, around the home, are compatible with Sonos and I have set them all to the same SSID’s and 'fixed' WiFi channels as the main router to assist with the mDNS multicast packet communication.

I tend to run most non-Sonos products on the 5ghz band where practical and ensure there is good distance between Wireless enabled products.

Of course many folk don’t go to such an extent to reduce there own WiFi interference for Sonos purposes and are often quite happy that their home non-Sonos wireless network devices have good access to the internet and they think that’s all there is to it, but in fact the notion that everything else is working fine on a home Network has nothing at all to do with the WiFi interference that Sonos Staff, or the community members here often talk about.

There is plenty of good advice from both the Staff and experienced members in this community here and it’s quite easy to follow their advice if you can find a bit of 'downtime' to read those things. I have learned a lot myself from reading many of the often highlighted threads here ...and for a good number of years now, my fairly large Sonos system has remained extremely stable and trouble-free.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Bruno92,

Not sure why you’ve posted the same post twice, but just to say I don’t have the iPhone 11, but do use the iPhone XR and iPad with iOS 13.3 and those devices are working fine here with the 'Move’ Bluetooth etc.

That was a mistake. I corrected a word and for some reason it duplicated the email.

Wifi interference issues? ... I have 20+ Sonos devices about the Home and have chosen to run them on the Sonos STP wireless protocol. Some strategic devices are wired to reduce interference that appears around the units in the Sonos Network Matrix, but most run on a wireless signal. 

Only a webcam and IoT electric plugs are wireless, everything else at home is wired. I have less speakers that you, 7 only. Also, I don't want to get into a STP framework. I left the PC to Mac to spare my time in technical matters.

I have set the SonosNet channel to sit 5+ channels away from the routers non-overlapping 2.4ghz chosen channel, which I fixed, post WifiInfoView scan of my locality, as it’s nice/helpful to understand the neighbouring channels that exist from the neighbours. Note these will change, from time to time, as neighbours do like to reboot their auto-channel-selecting WiFi routers. 

I did the same thing with another tool, WiFi Explorer. 

Wifi credentials are not stored in my Sonos App (Network/Wireless Setup), as recommended by the members in this community and I have placed the Sonos ‘Moves’ onto my 5ghz WiFi Band to prevent fallback to 'mixed mode', which those speakers may allow, as they are unable to run on SonosNet (which is obviously a good thing for all moveable nodes accessible in an STP environment).

Not relevant for me because I do not own a Move speaker.

I tend to run most non-Sonos products on the 5ghz band where practical and ensure there is good distance between Wireless enabled products.

Same here. However most if not all home devices certified HomeKit are still on 2.4Ghz. I am waiting impatiently for WiFi 6 devices.

Of course many folk don’t go to such an extent to reduce there own WiFi interference for Sonos purposes and are often quite happy that their home non-Sonos wireless network devices have good access to the internet and they think that’s all there is to it, but in fact the notion that everything else is working fine on a home Network has nothing at all to do with the WiFi interference that Sonos Staff, or the community members here often talk about.

Yes maybe. However I have friend who won Devialet and Cambridge speakers and they don't have any issue at all. I wondering why...

There is plenty of good advice from both the Staff and experienced members in this community here and it’s quite easy to follow their advice if you can find a bit of 'downtime' to read those things. I have learned a lot myself from reading many of the often highlighted threads here ...and for a good number of years now, my fairly large Sonos system has remained extremely stable and trouble-free.

I took more time that I should have. 2 weeks with Twitter support and 2 months with the telephone one is not what I will call a lot of downtime.

Also, remember that the problem is ONLY with SONOS ONE. Not issue at all with my other devices.

Finally I got another speaker, and let’s cross the fingers, the problem seems to have disappeared. 

Hi there, having similar connectivity issues. Google Nest mesh Wifi, Android OS etc.
Diagnostic report # 640042392.

Thanks

It's quite likely caused by the google hubs automatically channel hopping. See this link perhaps about wiring a sonos device to thd main google hub and running the system on a sonosnet signal instead …

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/airplay-issues-6831275#post16404300

A network device needs a good network to connect to. It’s somewhat difficult for Sonos to know in advance that you may have challenges in your specific setup. In most cases these days, a BOOST isn’t necessary. However, in some situations, including mine, it’s extremely useful. I also don’t have any speakers anywhere close to my router that I could easily wire to. I found the original BRIDGE to be useful, and when the BOOST came out, I upgraded to that. 

Hi, another one with the pesky issue of my sonos disconnecting from wifi after about 2 hours of play. Can someone please use the diagnostic case number below to let me know what the issue is?

Thank you!

Hi same problem. My Sonos One and Beam both disapear from the app after a few hours. I reset the wifi and they come back for a while and disapear again.

thanks for you help.

Hi @Lewiis.

Having Sonos players dropping and returning once the router is rebooted usually points in the direction of a network issue. 

Do you have two routers/networks? If so, are they given the same network name?

May I also get the make/model of the routers, modem, WiFi boosters, access points, and switches that may be present in your network?

Thank you Adam, all other devices works properly. Tv, laptop, cells, etc.

Router is zyXel EMG2926-q10a

it has a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz

modem is hitron cda-res

no switch, additional access point or booster.

Before I experienced the problem, I had a similar modem and router.

Is there any Sonos players hardwired into the router? 

If not, hardwire one of the players into the router and let me know if the system comes back up.

Only the one plugged in comes back.

Got it. Reboot the other players. The rest should appear. 

Moving forward, I would like to make sure that the speakers do not drop when one is hardwired.

After rebooting the other players, please submit another diagnostics so I may take a look .

Interesting.. it’s back after the reboot

I’ll reach out if I lose it again. If not thank you so much! Excellent support.

As soon as I disconnected the wired and put it back on the wifi, I lost both… :-(

Thankfully, the diagnostic isn’t showing me any problems as of now. 

Let’s see if any issues come back.

Happy to help and be safe!

In regarding to your following post. 

With this specific test, I would like the Sonos player to remain hardwired and test if it drops in that configuration. 

Additionally, I think it would be a good idea to have you give us a call so our agents can troubleshoot live. They would have tools that may better assist you in this case.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @dalagr, sorry for the late response and thank you for reaching out.

I checked the diagnostic number, it shows the “not enough bandwidth” error. 

I also would like to know the audio source that was playing. 

We can also test wire the speaker to the router with an Ethernet cable and try playing the audio source.

If you don’t encounter any issue playing while wired let’s check the previous area for any wireless interference

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @daniel.schell.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, I see that the WiFi interface on the Sonos: Connect named as Living Room has been disabled, and it is not recommended for Sonos components that need to use their wireless connection. Having a Sonos product directly wired to the router via ethernet cable (like your Sonos: Connect) will create a dedicated wireless network specifically for your Sonos system (SonosNet) and will pass the wireless signal to other Sonos products (like your Sonos One). That said if the WiFi of the component is ‘disabled’, its ability to talk or communicate with other speakers is compromised.

Kindly try to ‘enable’ the WiFi on the component by following the steps below and you can also refer to this article about  How to disable or enable WiFi on your Sonos players for more details.

• In the Sonos app, tap the Settings tab and select System.
  • Tap the name of the room, then tap the model of the speaker under Products.
  • From here, you can choose Disable WiFi or Enable WiFi.
  • The app will show which is currently selected with a checkmark.
  • Test it and see if that resolves it. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic so we can check further and see if there’s anything else that might cause this issue.

Let us know how that goes.

I am having issues with two of our sonos speakers constantly disconnecting from the others. I am unable to run a network cable to them due to their position. I have run a support diagnostics 1975641352. Any advice would be great!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Brian&Carrie, thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately there wasn’t a lot of data included in the diagnostic as the Play:5s had recently been rebooted. 

Are there any potential sources of interference close to the Play:5s? You can find here some information on reducing wireless interference which may be helpful :)

@Samknight1994, thanks for sending that diagnostic over - looks like the “In the L" speaker is getting a bit of a weak signal, is this one of the speakers which has trouble staying connected? As above, I’d recommend removing any potential sources of interference which are close to the problem speakers. It may also help to re-establish the mesh, by powering off each Sonos speaker, and then powering them back on one at a time, starting from the wired unit and working your way out from there.

Let us know how you get on :)

I have a similar issue with paired Play 5s. @Jeff S @Annazel S  @Xander P - if someone can have a look at diagnostic number: 250855343 I would greatly appreciate your assistance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having trouble with my One continually disconnecting form my WiFi network. I am able to setup and configure with the network cable plugged in. I then move the One to the room where I want it setup and have no problem connecting via WiFi for an hour or two. When I am done using the One or sometimes just after some time has passed, the One loses its connection to the network and I have to reconnect it to my WiFi using the cable. Is there a remedy for this?

Hi paso1129,

Welcome to the community. Can submit a diagnostic report while your Sonos One is connected and showing in the app? Reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Did you act on the request in the previous post to yours?