Answered

Sonos One + Connect + U Turn Orbit Turntable + 1980s Technics Stereo Receiver issue / specific question

• 26 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello all. Hopefully, this is in the correct forum.

I'm running into some issues in modifying my existing audio setup to integrate with Sonos. My primary goal is to get my existing U-Turn Orbit turntable to play through the Sonos One via the Connect (and, more importantly, for it to sound good). My current situation is as follows:

MY OLD / EXISTING SETUP

• U-Turn Orbit turntable running to:
• Phono input on my Technics Stereo Receiver from the 1980s (all toggles and button-based interface)
• Passive Micca bookshelf speakers

This setup worked fine and sounded good enough. It was nothing fancy, but it did its job. It's important to note that these were the only components to the setup. My Orbit must have a pre-amp built in, because I certainly don't have an external one, and the stereo receiver (old as it may be) always delivered some serious power.

Now, I'd like to remove the bookshelf speakers from the equation and play the audio through the Sonos One. In a week or so, I'll be switching that to the Play:5, and moving the One into another room (ideally using the Connect to allow me to listen to turntable audio through the house, but that's an issue for another day).

I am not using the Connect:AMP because it did not seem that I needed it, as I have a stereo receiver that has always worked fine. A sales rep from Sonos told me this should be fine.

In following the instructions to the best of my ability, I'm able to get the turntable audio over to the Connect and then to the One (through the Line In on the Sonos App), but it's playing at a whimper. It sounds almost like I need an amplifier, but I've never needed one before. I was able to get into the settings and change the Line-In Source Level volume to Level 10 (high) and get it to play a bit louder, but at max volume it's still playing at a reasonable volume. When I switched from turntable audio over to Spotify at that max volume, it nearly blew the speakers out .

I'm including a simplified illustration of my old setup and the one that I'm attempting to solve for. Is there a smarter way to get my turntable audio to play through the receiver before going into the Connect and over to the One? How do I get the volume to play correctly? Is it simply that I need a Connect:Amp instead?

Thank you all for any help you can offer.

icon

Best answer by chicks 26 November 2018, 02:08

Your turntable needs an RIAA phono preamp, which you have built into your receiver, via the Phono input jack. Hook the Connect to the Tape in and out hacks of your receiver, and make sure the receiver is On. Or, buy a phono preamp and put it between the turntable and the Connect,
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks so much!

Running the Connect to the Tape In / Out worked like a charm. Just required a little bit of messing with the Line-In Source Level (volume) to avoid blowing the speaker out in transitioning from Spotify to Turntable.
Your turntable needs an RIAA phono preamp, which you have built into your receiver, via the Phono input jack. Hook the Connect to the Tape in and out hacks of your receiver, and make sure the receiver is On. Or, buy a phono preamp and put it between the turntable and the Connect,