Answered

Sonos One (Alexa) cutting out then restarting by skipping backwards

• 8 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi, I have recently installed a new Sonos One and it when plat=ying through Alexa, it repeatedly cuts out for a few seconds then restarts by replaying the previous 1-2 minutes of previously played music.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 March 2022, 16:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

At this stage, with the somewhat limited information given so far, it sounds like a possible network connection issue to the speaker, maybe just try it on a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel, either 1, 6, or 11 …and use a channel-width of 20MHz, that’s assuming your are using a WiFi connection.

You could perhaps also try the speaker in a different location, nearer to your main router.

Hi Ken, thanks for your response. I have tried it on both the channels my router has and it does it on both… It is situated within 20ft, line of sight to the router with absolutely nothing between them!

I get the same thing happening at home where I have 5x Sonos speakers and the only one that keeps cutting in and out is situated as close? Any closer and I might as well use a network cable.

Starting to wish I’d gone for a wired speaker system :- (

p.s. I don’t really understand the techy bits you said about the wi-fi. I kinda expected that when you spend the sort of money they are that they would work?

What WiFi channel(s) are you currently using for your routers 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands? - which band(s) do you have stored in the ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ area of the Sonos App?

Hi Ken- 2.4Ghz… it was on the 5Ghz one but I was advised to swap as it kept dropping out. Still doing it though. Thanks

Hi Ken- 2.4Ghz… it was on the 5Ghz one but I was advised to swap as it kept dropping out. Still doing it though. Thanks

Yes leave it on the 2,4Ghz and try setting the router to channel 1, y or 11 - if you’re router is on one of those channels already, such as channel 6, then switch it to channel 1 or 11 - in the router setup pages there may be an option to change the channel width. It is usually set to 20/40MHz, but if possible change it to 20MHz only to help reduce any interference. See if that suggestion resolves the issue. 

Also perhaps just see if wiring the speaker (just temporarily) to the router gets rid of the problem. That nay help to perhaps confirm if it’s a wireless connection issue.

Thanks again Ken, I’ve checked the settings and it is already on band 11 but I wouldn’t know how to change it :- )

SSID:    Mansell Mctaggart
Protocol:    Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type:    WPA2-Personal
Network band:    2.4 GHz
Network channel:    11
Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    300/300 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address:    fe80::818:158f:50a:40cb%13
IPv4 address:    192.168.1.39
IPv4 DNS servers:    8.8.8.8
Manufacturer:    Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Description:    Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version:    12.0.0.954
Physical address (MAC):    74-4C-A1-A1-95-21

Check your router manual to see how to change your WiFi channel - you may find an easy-to-follow video on YouTube for some makes/models - it’s usually a case of logging into the router via a browser or App and selecting the WiFi page/tab and selecting another channel from a dropdown list and hit ‘save’.

By the way did you try the device wired (temporarily) just to see if that resolves the issue?

Hi Ken,, thanks for your answer above… I haven’t had the chance to try what you have suggested yet as I have been away. I will try and get this done next week when I am back. Thanks again :- )