Answered

Sonos on Orbi guest network

• 15 November 2018
  • 1 reply

I have been letting my neighbor ride on my wifi for years using an Airport extreme. I have been on the primary network, and he on the guest network. We have both had Sonos3 speakers on our individual networks. A few months ago, I switched over to an Orbi RBR50, with the main router in my house and the satilite in his, me on the primary network, he on the guest. Since then he has been unable to get his Sonos speaker to work. It showed up in the attached devices list on the guest network, but it could not be found by the sonos app. After doing a factory reset, the speaker only appears on the main network now. Any ideas on how to get this working again? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 15 November 2018, 09:09

First don't do a factory reset that makes things worse, not better. FAQ: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Now that you have done that factory reset he has lost everything he had on his unit and you need to start over from scratch once you find and fix the network problem. The first thng I would check is the guest network and see if "client isolation" or a similar setting is turned on, that will prevent different units hooked to the guest network from communicating.

Once you have that sorted you'll need to go back and do a new system setup, probably easier if you can wire the friends unit to the guest network. You do not want to add it to your system but create a new second one. The FAQ has instructions if you don't have your original ones handy.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
First don't do a factory reset that makes things worse, not better. FAQ: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Now that you have done that factory reset he has lost everything he had on his unit and you need to start over from scratch once you find and fix the network problem. The first thng I would check is the guest network and see if "client isolation" or a similar setting is turned on, that will prevent different units hooked to the guest network from communicating.

Once you have that sorted you'll need to go back and do a new system setup, probably easier if you can wire the friends unit to the guest network. You do not want to add it to your system but create a new second one. The FAQ has instructions if you don't have your original ones handy.