Sonos not working - error 1002 when playing spotify, error 1101 when updating

• 12 December 2021
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Hey all,

for a couple of weeks now I am having intermittent issues with my Sonos system (two Play:1s in stereo).

Problem:

• The connection to my Sonos system on the Sonos app (S2) itself is working fine on all my devices.
  • From within Spotify I cannot connect to my Sonos system.
  • When trying to play a TuneIn radio station I get the message: unable to play radio station.
  • When trying to play something from within the Sonos app through Spotify I get a 1002 error code.
  • When trying to update my sonos system I get a 1101 error code.
  • I am not able to submit diagnostic information to Sonos.

What I tried so far:

• The issues are intermittent so sometimes the problem suddenly disappears for no apparent reason and I can use my system again, without understanding what changed.
  • Unplugging both my Sonos speakers from their power, waiting >10 seconds and plugging it back in does not solve the problem.
  • Unplugging my modem/router from power, waiting >10 seconds and plugging it back in does not solve the problem.
  • Normally my speakers are connected through Wi-Fi, I have tried connecting one of the two speakers through an ethernet cable, but it did not solve the problem.
  • The network matrix at “x.x.x.x:1400/support/review” is green and does not provide any indication that something is wrong with the Sonos connection internally.
  • During the periods where I have these issues I checked “https://status.sonos.com/”, but every time all systems were operational according to that page.

Other info:

• I have a pi-hole running on my network which does not always play nicely with Sonos. Since I had issues before I have added "msmetrics.ws.sonos.com” to my white list.
  • I do not see anything obviously related to Sonos that is being blocked in pi-hole's query log, and on top of that disabling pi-hole also does not solve the issue.
  • Based on what I am seeing it seems to me that the Sonos connection on my internal network is doing fine, but there is an issue with the external connection. All the other services that I am using (e.g. Netflix, Disney+, Youtube, etc.) do not show the same issues as Sonos is having, so as far as I can tell it is Sonos specific.

I hope some suggestions can be given as to what may be causing this issue, so that I can go back to having a great user experience with my Sonos system.

41 replies

What type of router/WiFi network setup are you using - is it a centrally based router only or a mesh system? Any other WiFi repeaters, extenders, powerline adapters etc?

Userlevel 1
Badge

My modem/router creates my home wifi network, and a separate guest network. I have an Apple Time Capsule on another floor connected to my modem/router through an ethernet cable. The Time Capsule creates a wifi network with the same name as my home wifi network.

In my modem/router I can see that both Sonos speakers are connected to it, and not to the Time Capsule. Apart from the single Time Capsule I do not have any other repeaters/extenders powerline adapters etc.

My modem/router creates my home wifi network, and a separate guest network. I have an Apple Time Capsule on another floor connected to my modem/router through an ethernet cable. The Time Capsule creates a wifi network with the same name as my home wifi network.

In my modem/router I can see that both Sonos speakers are connected to it, and not to the Time Capsule. Apart from the single Time Capsule I do not have any other repeaters/extenders powerline adapters etc.

It might be the case that SSDP multicast packets for ‘device discovery’ is not correctly passing between your router and the Time Capsule.. perhaps try the following suggestions:

1. Switch off your routers guest WiFi whilst it’s not in use.
  2. Temporarily switch off the Time Capsule WiFi and just use your main router WiFi (or vice versa) to see if that improves/solves your issue. If it does, then try the WiFi network enabled on both devices, but not only ensure their SSID’s are the same, but also ensure their WiFi channels are the same too (I suggest using channel 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4Ghz band) and also set that band to use a channel-width of 20MHz only.
  3. If the problems still persist when trying the things above, I would rename the SSID’s on the Time Capsule instead and put its WiFi bands on completely different non-overlapping WiFi channels - so if you set your router to channel 6 in this instance, then use channel 1 or 11 on the Time Capsule instead.

Hope that all makes sense to you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for the replies so far.

I removed the power cord from the Time Capsule and left it like that. Then I disabled my guest network and restarted my modem/router.

I still got the same 1002 error afterwards, so figured I may just as well try another Sonos system restart. But unfortunately this also did not fix the issue, and the Sonos system is still not working.

Thank you for the replies so far.

I removed the power cord from the Time Capsule and left it like that. Then I disabled my guest network and restarted my modem/router.

I still got the same 1002 error afterwards, so figured I may just as well try another Sonos system restart. But unfortunately this also did not fix the issue, and the Sonos system is still not working.

Does your router use the same SSID for both its 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?.. What is its brand/model number?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is a Fritzbox 7590, and 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi use the same SSID indeed.

Update: as of now my Sonos system suddenly decided to start working again. That is great on the one hand, but on the other hand I still have no idea why it stopped working and what the root cause of the issue is. Thus I am still suffering from a sub-par user experience.

Currently I have my whole network setup the way it was; my guest network is enabled, the Time Capsule is connected to the router through an Ethernet cable and is broadcasting the same SSID as the router on a different floor, and the Sonos system is connected to the router through WiFi. 

Strange that it’s suddenly started working again 🤔 - I’m just wondering if the Time Capsule WiFi, or Router Wifi, are set to use auto-WiFi-channel selection on startup/reboot/update? Maybe try ‘fixing’ the channels on both devices and see if that improves things - choose non-overlapping WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4Ghz band.

Only do this however if your problems return. As it’s working at the moment, I would ‘leave sleeping dogs lie’ for now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Alright, so I have had zero issues with my system for the past five days and today I get the same issue as described above again.

This is now the third weekend in which my system is not working, and it is getting a little bit silly that the system appears to stop working without any obvious reason and then starts again without any change to my internal network.

Is it possible to get any diagnostic information from my Sonos system? It would be great if the Sonos system can give a little bit more diagnostic information as to where exactly it fails during connecting.

Have you been monitoring your Fritzbox/Time-Capsule channels to see what may have changed? Did you set them to fixed Wifi channels, or do they (still) auto-select their channels?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have not been actively monitoring the channels but will keep an eye on it from now. Currently my fritzbox is broadcasting the same WiFi network as my Time Capsule on a different channel (Fritzbox: 1, Time Capsule: 11). They are now still set to autoselect channels.

In the meantime, could you explain a little bit of background on focusing on the WiFi channels? To me the problem does not seem to be WiFi connection as all my wireless decices can connect to my Sonos system. Sonos however cannot connect externally.

I have not been actively monitoring the channels but will keep an eye on it from now. Currently my fritzbox is broadcasting the same WiFi network as my Time Capsule on a different channel (Fritzbox: 1, Time Capsule: 11). They are now still set to autoselect channels.

In the meantime, could you explain a little bit of background on focusing on the WiFi channels? To me the problem does not seem to be WiFi connection as all my wireless decices can connect to my Sonos system. Sonos however cannot connect externally.

Sonos uses SSDP multicast/broadcast for discovery of devices across the entire network subnet. So it’s not like other network devices, which often just have a single connection to the internet.. the devices need to communicate with each other across your wired/wireless access points - so it’s best, particularly when grouping the speakers,  to have your WiFi access points operating on the same fixed WiFi channels and not changing channels automatically. Usually non-overlapping channels are used, which are either channel 1, 6 or 11.

In your case, I would personally try wiring one Sonos device only to your main router, set the router and Time capsule to both use, say ‘fixed’ WiFi channel 6 (with a channel-width of 20MHz only for the 2.4Ghz band) and then set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App to either 1, or 11 and see if that improves things.

If (and only if) you don’t have any Sonos portable devices, you can also remove the WiFi credentials in your Sonos App network settings - if you do have portable devices, then leave the credentials in place.

I would only wire the one Sonos product only preferably a modern standalone device and keep that a metre away from the router aswell - do not wire anything to the other access point(s). If problems continue after that, then I would suggest coming back here and I can maybe suggest an alternative setup to try, but this suggestion should hopefully work well for you.🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • set both router and Time Capsule 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to channel 6 (automatic channel selection disabled). Try again with both Sonos speakers still connected through WiFi; still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • router and Time Capsule still set to channel six, connect one of the two Sonos speakers through Ethernet cable, set Sonos net channel to channel 1; still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • remove ethernet cable from Sonos speaker, and set all WiFi broadcast settings back to auto. Disable Sonos setting “set time from internet”, and manually set date to 16 december (ridiculous I know, but I am getting desperate here); still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • Try to enable Sonos setting “set time from internet” again, but the setting switches back to being disabled, probably due to the same external internet connection issue.
  • set both router and Time Capsule 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to channel 6 (automatic channel selection disabled). Try again with both Sonos speakers still connected through WiFi; still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • router and Time Capsule still set to channel six, connect one of the two Sonos speakers through Ethernet cable, set Sonos net channel to channel 1; still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • remove ethernet cable from Sonos speaker, and set all WiFi broadcast settings back to auto. Disable Sonos setting “set time from internet”, and manually set date to 16 december (ridiculous I know, but I am getting desperate here); still 1002 error when playing music, and 1101 error when trying to update.
  • Try to enable Sonos setting “set time from internet” again, but the setting switches back to being disabled, probably due to the same external internet connection issue.

What happens if you just use your Fritzbox router only with the Time Capsule powered off? Does it work then?

Just to add, I’m just wondering if you did setup the Time Capsule in ‘bridge mode’, or if you’ve left the router/dhcp functions active? Although earlier you did say you had it as a network access point using the same SSID etc? Make sure it is bridged off your existing Fritzbox subnet.. there’s a couple of links below, if you perhaps need any assistance with that:

Userlevel 1
Badge

During troubleshooting 7 days ago I already confirmed that whether the Time Capsule is turned On or Off I still get these same 1002 / 1101 errors.

Nevertheless the Time Capsule Wi-Fi mode is set to “Create a wireless network”, and it creates a network with the same SSID and password as the network my model/router creates.

The Time Capsule setting advanced / DHCP and NAT the Router Mode setting is set to “Off (Bridge Mode)”. 

Well the setup all sounds okay to me in that case and obviously you’re internet connection is working, so not sure why things aren’t working as they should be, unless there’s a fault somewhere, or the network isn’t configured correctly? I’m really surprised it doesn’t work when in wired SonosNet mode, assuming all are on the same subnet? Especially as the guest networks were switched off earlier. It’s like some kind of isolation/connection-blocking issue.

Anyhow, maybe the next best step is to speak with Sonos Support Staff via this link below and see if they can maybe see what the issue is through your diagnostic report:

Diagnostic:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141

Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just connected a switch to my router through an ethernet cable and connected both Sonos speakers to the switch each through their own ethernet cable.

• in this setup I still get the 1002 / 1101 errors when trying to play music or update my system.
  • I then removed the stereo pair to go back to the most simple situation having two separate speakers. I still get the 1002 / 1101 errors.
  • The separate systems show up ik the Sonos app with WM: 0.
  • I noticed that in the Sonos app both systems still have Wi-Fi enabled, even though both now have an ethernet cable plugged in.
  • When I try to disable WiFi for each speaker I get an error message saying: “Wi-Fi not disabled, make sure this product is connected to your router with an ethernet cable.”
  • I verified the switch has a functioning connection to the router by plugging in another device in one of the other ports and streaming a video with WiFi on that device turned off.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Alright, if there is nothing else to try then let’s see if I can get a response or support from Sonos staff.

Thanks for the helps and suggestions in any case.

I assume the mobile controller device is connected to the Fritzbox router main WiFi and it’s connection is not isolated in some way?

Is there any firewall, or other security software on that controller device that might be blocking things? Is it an iPhone/iPad? …if it is, try switching off ‘private address’ (MAC spoofing) in its network connection properties.

I suspect the Pi-hole. Internet access from the Sonos is evidently failing. Take the Pi-hole entirely out of the equation and see if Sonos behaves.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I already experimented with disabling the Pi-hole’s blocking capability, which still gave me the 1002 / 1101 errors.

Now that it is Monday again my system is of course working as it should, without any changes by me.

• all my network is running as “normal”: 
  • both router and Time Capsule are broadcasting the same SSID.
  • Time Capsule is on channel 1, modem/router on channel 11.
  • PiHole is running.
  • all router settings are set to how they were: auto channel selection, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz both on, etc.
  • Time Capsule is still in bridge mode.
  • Sonos speakers are connected through WiFi.

At the moment I do not get any 1002/1101 errors, I can play tuneIn radio as well as stream Spotify, I can upload diagnostic logs to Sonos servers, and I can check for updates from the Sonos app.

Probably I will post another update on Saturday..

Strange (again!) …is there something ‘scheduled’ to block internet access to devices (IP/Mac-filtering) etc?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nothing obvious as far as I can see, but I need some more time to go through all the settings.

I also almost start suspecting my router/modem from doing some scheduled actions, but it is so strange that only the Sonos system appears to be affected. 
whenever I have these 1002/1101 errors all other internet activities are still working.

Anyways, thank your for all the replies and support. Let’s see if the issue returns this weekend.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another update: 
Sonos was working fine on Friday evening/night, but same 1002/1101 errors as of Saturday morning.

No obvious changes to network channel settings; modem/router still on channel 11, and Time Capsule on channel 1. I will reach out to my ISP next week to see if they can help me troubleshoot this issue on the modem/router side.

I still find it strange though that as far as I can tell Sonos is the only service that is not working at the moment. 

Another update: 
Sonos was working fine on Friday evening/night, but same 1002/1101 errors as of Saturday morning.

No obvious changes to network channel settings; modem/router still on channel 11, and Time Capsule on channel 1. I will reach out to my ISP next week to see if they can help me troubleshoot this issue on the modem/router side.

I still find it strange though that as far as I can tell Sonos is the only service that is not working at the moment. 

The odd thing is just how intermittently this keeps happening - is there any obvious pattern you can see? It is a strange one.