Answered

Sonos not able to connect to Apple Music

• 3 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Apple will not connect. - 2 play 5 Gen 2 set up as stereo pair (R&L) NOT working - Reset internet - uninstalled and re installed the app - switched everything off and on again.  Made sure the settings were correct in privacy local network. Worked for a bit then back to square one. No its not the internet connection - In mean time can watch Netflix in several rooms,  kids on devices lap top on at same time all working and yes I did turn off everything else while trying to get Sonos to work. This has happened several times over the years (I has 2 play 5 gen 1 units prior) - its wearing real thin now at this stage. Perhaps its time to replace entire system for a Bluetooth direct unit as this issue does not seem to be getting resolved. HOw much time is a person required to dedicate to trying to get a system working when they should be enjoying the R&R. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 February 2021, 10:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @daghdaireland.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

It was not mentioned what type of apple product are you using, I suggest starting with this Sonos app requirements.

Are the speakers were connected to a different wifi connection before?

I suggest doing a factory data reset could save you time on setting up your speakers.

Add the first speaker and test it, then the next one if all works try to set them up as a group now.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7

Are you only having issues with Apple Music? What about other streaming services? Are you using an iOS device like an iPhone? If so, can you Airplay music from your phone?

HI Folks. - Apple Music  from an apple I pad - that works perfect with a Marshall, JBL, Sony, Veho speakers in the same house (i do understand these are Bluetooth speakers - but proves both Apple Music is working and the i pad is working) On said I pad i can browse internet, see you tube for example .

Re Sonos. - The router is in the room where the Sonos Play 5 gen 2 units are.   The exact message is Unable to play “song named here” - unable to connect to Apple Music. 

These tunes play perfectly on the device also - some are downloaded direct to the i pad too.  

Re the factory data reset - I did this the last time I had an issue - it helped for a while - problem returns always. I will try again. 

Thank you 

BTW. Tunein radio app and line in to my audio technic turntable works perfect.   This is an issue specific to Apple - Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daghdaireland 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem with Apple Music and your Sonos Speakers? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team so they can get some diagnostics from your system and address this problem for you. 

Hi Corry,

- thank you so much for your suggestion. I have however done this several times over the years and used the online tips and forum suggestions too.  

• the problem intermittently prevails. appears to be an issue many others have to contend with. 

• Play 5s sounded amazing and looked nice - it’s just  not worth the effort now. I have lost countless hours on this issue. Pleasure instrument causing  frustration - nope that’s the wrong experience. 

• I have replaced the entirety of my home system with a Bluetooth system. 

Hassle free listening now a days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daghdaireland 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sonos systems are at the mercy of the network they run on - from your descriptions, I would say it’s very likely that the network/router settings were the cause of your problems, if not the electromagnetic environment.

I’m sorry you felt the need to replace your Sonos system, but at least you can now listen to your tunes! Bluetooth has nothing to do with your network, so maybe this is why your new system works more reliably?