Answered

sonos move won't stay connected

• 21 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I upgraded a five zone s1 set up to an s2 set up and switched one unit to a Sonos Move.

The Move unit will not stay connected to the Sonos App.

I have a Unifi Network with multiple hotspots and I have strong wifi signal all over the house.  

So far I’ve tried three things 1) I switched the sonos channel from channel 6 to channel 1, 2) I made sure another sonos unit reasonably nearby is hardwired to the network and 3) I set the move to a fixed IP address.

None of this has seemed to help. I have to turn the unit on and off 90% of the time i want to use it.

If this is how it’s supposed to work, can I return it? If this isn’t how it’s supposed to work, can you give me further troubleshooting tips?

The troubleshooting log confirmation number is: 1694109195.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 September 2021, 03:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Adjust this setting on the UniFi controller:

Under Settings > Wireless Networks > Advanced Options, disable Multicast and Broadcast Filtering.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response @guitarsuperstar!

I logged into my unifi dream-machine router and in the UI it’s displaying the closest I could find was “Multicast DNS” which is presently disabled (was already disabled). 

The specific UI path you called out does not exist in my configuration as far as I can find.

Is there another thing I can search in the UI to find the setting you’re referencing. I tried a few obvious things but couldn’t find Multicast and/or Broadcast Filtering.

Userlevel 7

Here are a couple more things to try:

Check these router settings:

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. UPnP should be enabled

f. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

g. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

Another user fixed his issues with the Move by adding the Move MAC address to the multicast exception list.

Userlevel 1

I was able to revert back to the older UI on my Unifi Router and make the original change you suggested… will test for a few days to determine if fixed and to determine if any other measurable impact +/- on my network.

Thank you for the fast and excellent tips.

Userlevel 1

@GuitarSuperstar Thank you!!!!

Changing the multicast setting made my entire Sonos experience. You’re awesome, thank you, thank you, thank you!

@Sonos You guys really should add something to your app that lets the user know something is wrong with the network. I had a 5 zone sonos system since approximately 2011 and then added another 5 zones in 2018. I’m a mega fan BUT in the last year my sonos performance has been horrifying. I finally upgraded everything to S2 and bought a Move and when that didn’t fix the problems and the Move didn’t work at all I started telling anyone who would ask that I did NOT recommend Sonos. In my opinion, the App should be able to -- at minimum -- detect that this multicast problem is going on and let me know. Instead it forced me into a mode of dissatisfaction and I was only recovered by the good graces of GuitarSuperstar who solved this problem. Now the system works better than ever.

I’m still a Sonos fan but disappointed that this issue was a) hidden from view and b) not well documented.