Answered

Sonos Move WIFI Connectivity

• 22 March 2021
  • 1 reply

I’m thinking of buying the Sonos Move and need some advice?

The main purpose for me buying the Sonos Move will be to stream and play music from You Tube. With this in mind, I intend to pair the Sonos Move to my Samsung android S10 plus (or new S20 as I’ll be upgrading very soon) and connect via my home Wi-Fi. That said, I have been informed that this is only possible on an iPhone and only possible on an android phone via Bluetooth. Currently I’m using the Bang and Olufsen Beo Plus speaker paired to my Samsung phone and use it as described above without any problems. I want to be able to do the same on the Sonos move without any problems. 

If it’s not possible to do this via Samsung phone via my home Wi-Fi, then what are the implications of using and relying on Blue Tooth instead of Wi-Fifi? 

Many thanks,

Doug

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 March 2021, 20:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I’m thinking of buying the Sonos Move and need some advice?

The main purpose for me buying the Sonos Move will be to stream and play music from You Tube. With this in mind, I intend to pair the Sonos Move to my Samsung android S10 plus (or new S20 as I’ll be upgrading very soon) and connect via my home Wi-Fi. That said, I have been informed that this is only possible on an iPhone and only possible on an android phone via Bluetooth.

This might need some clarification.  When connected to WiFi, the Move can stream by itself, without going through your phone.  The Sonos app is just a controller.  In Bluetooth mode, the Move can pair with your phone, but will not be on WiFi.  You can switch modes as you wish. 

With an iPhone, you can use airplay to stream from your phone to the Move via WiFi.  You can’t do this with an android phone.

Currently I’m using the Bang and Olufsen Beo Plus speaker paired to my Samsung phone and use it as described above without any problems. I want to be able to do the same on the Sonos move without any problems. 

How are you doing it with the B&O?  via chromecast?

If it’s not possible to do this via Samsung phone via my home Wi-Fi, then what are the implications of using and relying on Blue Tooth instead of Wi-Fifi? 

Many thanks,

Doug

I don’t feel like the feature is missing at all.  Sonos streams most things directly, and I only use BT when I am out of WiFi range.  For things like youtube watching at home, I will stream through a TV, with a sonos soundbar, rather than through my phone.