Answered

Sonos Move + Vinyl

• 14 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Setup: turntable w preamp(uturn) on a sonos five.  Have a beam and move as well.

beam and five play great from all sources.

Move works great with tv/spotify/etc.

Move quality with line in from five(vinyl) is static and not acceptable for listening.

tried compression and other settings, no change.

very dissapointed - blaming the move. Anything im missing?  Internet fine, other speakers fine.

its just move + vinyl.

thx

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 March 2021, 12:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

You could have Wi-Fi interference. Try rebooting your router or changing your router’s wireless channel.

But its only the vinyl.

if i play anything else on the move it works fine.

Userlevel 7

Your Five communicates with your Move via Wi-Fi.

And the bandwidth used by a line in signal is more than a normal streaming music source, so it is less forgiving than other those other sources. 

Ok- will move the whole thing to my 5g and see.

thx

You’d likely be better clearing any wifi interference than changing bands. Not all Sonos speakers are able to see 5Ghz, although indeed the Move can. 

Hi All

Unfortunately problem is persisting.  A few details about my setup.

• Unify Gateway and AP in 1200sqft single story home.  Google Nest throughout with a few heavy users.  200down/20up.  Haven't experienced any speed issues since upgrading network to unify to my network and getting it running. (not fun)
  • Sonos.  All Wifi.  Beam+SamsungTV,Move, Five+Uturn record player w built in preamp.

Whats most interesting to me is that streaming audio from Uturn to beam provides similar quality as the Five.  Its fine.  Only the Move experiences the crackling and weak sound effect.  Even when it's the only one playing.  

Tried on 2.4, every channel and tried on 5ghz.  All provided consistent good results with beam and poor with the move when listening to records. (no matter where it was moved to in my house)

Sounds like it doesn't have enough to amplify the signal coming from the preamp.  Could that be possible?  Assuming Beam has more amplification power as its plugged in - move is weaker - and signal just not enough….

Will explore testing w another preamp - but not gonna buy one for this.

Also wanted to test with another wifi router and separating house traffic from Sonos to rule out networking.

thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lpramonj 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? If so, I recommend you try adjusting the line-in compression settings as described in our Adjust Line-In Audio Compression page.

Please also follow the instruction in the post marked as Best Answer here:

If neither of those steps help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Hi! 

Thanks Corry.  Apologies for not updating this thread. Thanks to my wife lack of color blindness we discovered that our tables needle was not connected properly…. little colors and little cables.

interesting is how it barely affected most of the speakers. only the move was impacted to a level where music could not be listened to.

As it stands all speakers sound amazing from the turntable and no problems with dropping of audio or static audio.

thanks!