Answered

Sonos Move Unable to Switch Back to Bluetooth When Pairing Button Pressed

• 2 October 2019
  • 37 replies

Badge
Hey folks,

While waiting for my Sonos Move to be delivered I read about an interesting issue that others on Reddit are corroborating.

I also ran into an issue where I pressed the pairing button after my speaker had been initially paired, and I was unable to switch back to Bluetooth mode. If you accidentally hit the pairing button (or a kid does) and you are nowhere near wifi, you will brick your Move until you get back to wifi.

half an hour into the music, it stopped, and wouldn't come back on again. It still had power, but it just wouldn't play no matter what combination of button presses and long presses I tried. My suspicion was confirmed by this article. Someone had pressed the pairing button, and that was it. Without access to wifi the rest of the weekend, it was toast. Brick toast :(

I too had a dead sonos for 5 days after someone hit the pairing button. I was made fun of heavily after that

Can anyone else confirm this? Seems like a massive usability issue for a portable bluetooth speaker.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 December 2019, 20:07

Hi everyone, I wanted to circle back with you all. We’ve been working on this and have confirmed that the Sonos version 10.5 update, released a little while ago, had a fix in it that resolves this issue. There should no longer be a chance of getting your Move stuck in a loop waiting for a timeout period. Just make sure you’re up to date by going to Sonos > Settings > System > About My Sonos System to make sure you’re running a version above 10.5.

View original

37 replies

Hi everyone, I wanted to circle back with you all. We’ve been working on this and have confirmed that the Sonos version 10.5 update, released a little while ago, had a fix in it that resolves this issue. There should no longer be a chance of getting your Move stuck in a loop waiting for a timeout period. Just make sure you’re up to date by going to Sonos > Settings > System > About My Sonos System to make sure you’re running a version above 10.5.

Hello Ryan, I have the 10.6 version of the system but still managed to get my move stuck in the “orange light loop of death”, on New Year’s Eve to top it off:-( have tried everything in this thread without any success. Also did not bring the charging base for portable reasons. Also did not know I had to use a 45W charger for when traveling with it? Makes me think maybe the orange light is battery? But have not been playing for that many hours so don’t think so. 

Cmag18,

Is it the orange (low battery) light behind the front grill, or the top LED status light? If it’s the latter, perhaps check you have not accidentally, put the speaker in ‘diagnostic dump’ mode. To get out of that, simply hit the join button again and then power-cycle the speaker. 

If it’s the battery light behind the grill then you will likely need a charger… some ‘Apple Mac’ chargers may work, if you have one handy.

Hope you manage to get it sorted and Happy New Year. 👍

Cmag18,

Is it the orange (low battery) light behind the front grill, or the top LED status light? If it’s the latter, perhaps check you have not accidentally, put the speaker in ‘diagnostic dump’ mode. To get out of that, simply hit the join button again and then power-cycle the speaker. 

If it’s the battery light behind the grill then you will likely need a charger… some ‘Apple Mac’ chargers may work, if you have one handy.

Hope you manage to get it sorted and Happy New Year. 👍

its the battery, was clueless as to what wattage I needed, thought an iPad charger would do the job. Thanks for the input and guess I learned something! 
happy New Years to all as well:-)

@Ryan S Thank you for the post. I started the setup process and before completing the process I pressed the Bluetooth-WiFi switch button. Since I never completed the setup I never completed the setup i am not able to access the “Sonos > Settings > System > About My Sonos System” in order to verify my Sonos version.

Ever since the failed setup attempt I cannot connect even via Bluetooth even though I try to reset the Sonos Move (by pressing the Power Off button for 5 seconds).

Any help with that?

Thank you in advance.

@Ryan S Thank you for the post. I started the setup process and before completing the process I pressed the Bluetooth-WiFi switch button. Since I never completed the setup I never completed the setup i am not able to access the “Sonos > Settings > System > About My Sonos System” in order to verify my Sonos version.

Ever since the failed setup attempt I cannot connect even via Bluetooth even though I try to reset the Sonos Move (by pressing the Power Off button for 5 seconds).

Any help with that?

Thank you in advance.

How to Factory Reset a 'Move' Device:

1. Hold down the Move's rear top Power button until the top indicator status LED turns off (approx. 5 seconds). It gives a (descending) tone sound as the speaker powers off. 
  2. Wait 30 seconds.
  3. Quick press the top Power button and immediately (within 1 second) as the status LED white-light shows, hold down the rear bottom Join/Infinity button.
  4. Release the Join/Infinity button immediately after you first see the status LED flash orange (then after a short while the LED should start pulsing green/white) and the Move is then ready for setup using the Sonos App “Settings/System/Add Product”
  5. Post setup, you will also need to reinstall your chosen voice assistant (Alexa/Google) to the Sonos Move by going to “Settings/Services/Voice” in the Sonos App.

Hope that assiste.👍

@Ken_Griffiths Thank you for the help. Worked like charm. I managed to perform a Factory Reset to my Sonos move.

Now I have some struggle to connect it to my WiFi network. I have entered my wifi password correctly, I can see the Sonos device listed in the router Attached Devices (from the router admin gui) but I get the “WiFi connection” app screen. The device sits next to the router, I have disabled the wifi MAC filtering and the mobile device (controller) is connected to the same network as the one I am trying to connect the Sonos to.

Any ideas of what might go wrong?

Thank you.

@Ken_Griffiths Thank you for the help. Worked like charm. I managed to perform a Factory Reset to my Sonos move.

Now I have some struggle to connect it to my WiFi network. I have entered my wifi password correctly, I can see the Sonos device listed in the router Attached Devices (from the router admin gui) but I get the “WiFi connection” app screen. The device sits next to the router, I have disabled the wifi MAC filtering and the mobile device (controller) is connected to the same network as the one I am trying to connect the Sonos to.

Thank you.

These few things immediately spring to mind.

• If setting up the speaker on the 2.4ghz band then also put the mobile controller device on that band too
  • Check that your 2.4ghz Network is 802.11 b/g/n compatible.
  • If there are any unusual characters in its SSID name, than consider changing its name.
  • Turn off any other Wifi hubs, access points or repeaters etc; nearby whilst doing the setup.
  • If the router users Airtime Fairness, then switch that off.
  • Ensure the router’s DHCP Server is enabled and is the only one in operation on the subnet and ensure IP addresses are available to be assigned.
  • Turn off AP isolation on the WiFi connections in the router settings, if Applicable.
  • Make sure your router is not on the hardware incompatibility list… shown HERE.
  • Ensure the router supports mDNS multibroadcasting.
  • Try changing the routers default DNS to Google servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Hope that gives you some things to try. 👍

@Ken_Griffiths You helped a great deal. It was the frequency mismatch.

Thanks for all the help.

Thank you.

These few things immediately spring to mind.

• If setting up the speaker on the 2.4ghz band then also put the mobile controller device on that band too
  • Check that your 2.4ghz Network is 802.11 b/g/n compatible.
  • If there are any unusual characters in its SSID name, than consider changing its name.
  • Turn off any other Wifi hubs, access points or repeaters etc; nearby whilst doing the setup.
  • If the router users Airtime Fairness, then switch that off.
  • Ensure the router’s DHCP Server is enabled and is the only one in operation on the subnet and ensure IP addresses are available to be assigned.
  • Turn off AP isolation on the WiFi connections in the router settings, if Applicable.
  • Make sure your router is not on the hardware incompatibility list… shown HERE.
  • Ensure the router supports mDNS multibroadcasting.
  • Try changing the routers default DNS to Google servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Hope that gives you some things to try. 👍

I’ve somehow managed to reset my Move while on vacation away from my home system. It’s flashing a lovely (yet frustrating) shade of green waiting to join my system. I cannot get it to show up on the iPhone app or to accept moving into BT mode. Is there a workaround while away from my any other Sonos product? Have WiFi and tethering possibilities, but the move doesn’t know what network to attach to since it’s a clean slate. 

thank you!

I’ve somehow managed to reset my Move while on vacation away from my home system. It’s flashing a lovely (yet frustrating) shade of green waiting to join my system. I cannot get it to show up on the iPhone app or to accept moving into BT mode. Is there a workaround while away from my any other Sonos product? Have WiFi and tethering possibilities, but the move doesn’t know what network to attach to since it’s a clean slate. 

thank you!

You can temporarily setup the move on the local WiFi network that your ‘mobile controller’ device (phone/tablet) is connected to, as long as you have the local WiFi credentials to add the device, or you can use ‘another’ mobile that is broadcasting a WiFi hotspot instead and first connect your mobile controller device to that hotspot and open the Sonos App and setup the Move (ensure the Move has a flashing green light at power-on) which means it’s in setup mode.

Once you have the Move setup on a WiFi you can then switch it to Bluetooth.

You will need to add the Move back to your home WiFi when you return home - that’s done by following these steps to add another network to the Speaker…

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.

Also, just in case you need it…..

Resetting the Sonos Move

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos App

thank you!

You can temporarily setup the move on the local WiFi network that your ‘mobile controller’ device (phone/tablet) is connected to, as long as you have the local WiFi credentials to add the device, or you can use ‘another’ mobile that is broadcasting a WiFi hotspot instead and first connect your mobile controller device to that hotspot and open the Sonos App and setup the Move (ensure the Move has a flashing green light at power-on) which means it’s in setup mode.

Once you have the Move setup on a WiFi you can then switch it to Bluetooth.

You will need to add the Move back to your home WiFi when you return home - that’s done by following these steps to add another network to the Speaker…

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.

Also, just in case you need it…..

Resetting the Sonos Move

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos App

Thank you for the speedy reply. I tried to connect directly via wifi, but when I open the Sonos app, system is grayed out in settings and nothing shows up in My Sonos or System. Assume I’m looking in the wrong place, but I can’t see where else it could be. 

On opening the sonos app whilst connected to your new WiFi, you should see a message saying it can’t find your system with a link saying "learn more” or words to that effect. Select that Link to see your options. You have two options open to you…

1. You could reset the App and setup a new household for now and add your Move to it and stick with that whilst on your holiday (use the same sonos account/credentials). On return home reset the App again but choose to connect to your existing network and follow the onscreen instructions. OR...
  2. Follow the instructions I gave above in my earlier post to add a wireless network - it will lead you to a screen like the one shown in the attached screenshot. I’m using an iPad Pro for the screenshot, but it should look similar. Then follow the onscreen instructions. 

Hope that assists a little further to get your Move up and running.