Answered

Sonos Move Unable to Switch Back to Bluetooth When Pairing Button Pressed

• 2 October 2019
  • 37 replies

Show first post

37 replies

Badge
Fair enough. I used the wrong language for the button. It is the "join" button that is being referred to.

To your question about powering down....

What about powering down the Move and powering it back up? Pressing the power button puts it to sleep but holding the button for 5 seconds powers it down fully.

I tried that and it did not work. In fact, I tried all manners of short and long presses on each button, and combinations of buttons hoping for some sort of soft or hard reset, but to no avail.

I’ve somehow managed to reset my Move while on vacation away from my home system. It’s flashing a lovely (yet frustrating) shade of green waiting to join my system. I cannot get it to show up on the iPhone app or to accept moving into BT mode. Is there a workaround while away from my any other Sonos product? Have WiFi and tethering possibilities, but the move doesn’t know what network to attach to since it’s a clean slate. 

thank you!

You can temporarily setup the move on the local WiFi network that your ‘mobile controller’ device (phone/tablet) is connected to, as long as you have the local WiFi credentials to add the device, or you can use ‘another’ mobile that is broadcasting a WiFi hotspot instead and first connect your mobile controller device to that hotspot and open the Sonos App and setup the Move (ensure the Move has a flashing green light at power-on) which means it’s in setup mode.

Once you have the Move setup on a WiFi you can then switch it to Bluetooth.

You will need to add the Move back to your home WiFi when you return home - that’s done by following these steps to add another network to the Speaker…

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.

Also, just in case you need it…..

Resetting the Sonos Move

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos App

Thank you for the speedy reply. I tried to connect directly via wifi, but when I open the Sonos app, system is grayed out in settings and nothing shows up in My Sonos or System. Assume I’m looking in the wrong place, but I can’t see where else it could be. 

Badge
Thanks, Ryan! I get mine tomorrow and will let you know if I run into the same issue. I was anxious about having just purchased a $400+ speaker that could turn into a temporary brick when I created this thread.

Your WiFi tips are interesting. Would that work if you were in the woods without a connection to the internet? I assume they would only need to communicate on the same WiFi network to make it work, right?
Badge
Noted. I appreciate everyone chiming in and easing these concerns. I'll let you know if the issue does come up for any reason!
I'm happy to have the team look into this, but we'll need some more details on what happened. For example, what was the LED on top doing in this state?

If you put a Move into Bluetooth mode (being in range of your network shouldn't matter), pressing the Join button the back won't do anything at all, as far as I know. Holding the button for around 10 seconds will put it into a diagnostic mode (where it'll keep playing music), and pressing that Join button again will take it out of that mode. (Ken has that info above too).

The factory reset process for the Move is a bit tricky to do when mobile:
  1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  4. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  5. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
So most likely someone didn't wind up factory resetting it.

Now if you do wind up in a state where you need WiFi for some reason, you could use your phone to create a WiFi hotspot for your Move to connect to. A second phone or table could connect to that wireless network and control the Move if you need to do something like change the equalizer. On that note, you might be able to apply some equalization settings using the phone over bluetooth, not Sonos equalization, but some apps can send that data to the speaker.

Hi Ryan,

I'm one of the people that were quoted in this posting. My Move lost connection to my phone the very first night, and wouldn't reconnect the entire rest of the weekend. It was playing fine for about half an hour, and then all of sudden cut out, and would not reconnect. I walked out of range once, but was able to reconnect, and from thereon in I left my phone right beside the Move. I suspect maybe a rogue button press caused this, when picking up the Move to move it around, but can't be sure. If that were the case, it wouldn't have a been a long-press by any means. It wasn't until after disconnecting that I tried to troubleshoot and commenced button press combinations, and could not reconnect.

I tried to cycle the power by short and long presses of the power button, but I received no audible or visual feedback from the speaker when doing this, giving me no indication of if it was having any affect.

Seeing your instructions for putting the Move into diagnostic mode definitely leads me to rule this out as a possibility for the disconnect, since holding the Join button for 10 seconds is a very long time. In testing of the Move, were there any other possible causes of disconnects? And was this specific scenario of not being able to reconnect without wifi encountered and/or tested at all?

Also, you mention creating a wifi hotspot to troubleshoot....however, this is impossible in an area with complete lack of cellular service, like when you are camping. Or do you mean just create one even without any cellular data?

With regards to the possibility of factory resetting it...yeah, impossible, given the involved steps, and just the fact that you need the charging base, which I didn't bring with me because I didn't want to risk damaging or breaking it.

When I got home, I set the Move back on the base to recharge it since the battery had died, and once powered back on, it worked completely fine in both wifi and bt mode.

Being that two other people have already had this issue of not being able to reconnect to the Move without wifi would lead me to believe that this was definitely not a coincidence. I think it is something worth investigating.

Also, if the Move gets low on battery, down to a specific percentage, will it automatically disconnect? Is there a specific number, like say, at 10%, or 5%, 3%, etc? For me, I know this wasn't the issue either, since it had 35% battery when I started using it, so it wouldn't have run out of power after 30 minutes, especially since I was playing it at a low volume. But I was curious about this too.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
As a user of a Sonos Move myself, once you get it tomorrow and understand the function of each of the 'buttons' as briefly mentioned above, you will find it works absolutely fine and without any issues.

I reckon it’s 'new' users who have perhaps not read any of the instructions and are just finding themselves (repeatedly) pressing the wrong button(s) and either ending up putting their device into diagnostic mode or accidentally resetting their speaker and then not realising how to get out of their self-made predicament.

It is simple to use, works here without a problem and most importantly, it sounds great. It’s the best battery-powered portable speaker I have encountered.

There is a flaw in your flow of reasoning here, which is that repeated button presses caused the disconnect. That is incorrect, as the repeated button presses occured after the disconnect, as a result of trying to repair the disconnect. The disconnect was not a self-made predicament, at least not in the manner you've described.

Also, as Ryan stated, the Join button needs to be held for 10 seconds to put the Move into diagnostic mode. That is a very long time in the world of...button presses lol...too long to be a cause of the disconnect. However, it could have been put into that mode afterwards as a part of the troubleshooting process, I agree.
Also, if the Move gets low on battery, down to a specific percentage, will it automatically disconnect? Is there a specific number, like say, at 10%, or 5%, 3%, etc? For me, I know this wasn't the issue either, since it had 35% battery when I started using it, so it wouldn't have run out of power after 30 minutes, especially since I was playing it at a low volume. But I was curious about this too.

Just FYI, you can open the Sonos app, whether connected to the Move by WiFi or Bluetooth (and phone not connected to WiFi) to see the remaining battery life. Incidentally, this would also be useful in verify that you have a Bluetooth connection with the Move.

In case it matters, where you using an iPhone or Android?

Just FYI, you can open the Sonos app, whether connected to the Move by WiFi or Bluetooth (and phone not connected to WiFi) to see the remaining battery life. Incidentally, this would also be useful in verify that you have a Bluetooth connection with the Move.

Yeah I learned about this AFTER getting back home lol. It would have been VERY useful to be able to verify the connection through the app. Although I could see on my phone notification bar whethere or not my BT was connected to a device. Still, very handy that Sonos did that 🙂 Thanks for suggesting it though!

I'm on Android.
Hi FrissonerOfWar, thanks for joining us! We'd love to look into this more, so please do let us know if you see it happen again. We've had people taking Moves all over (with and without WiFi) pressing random combinations of buttons as much as they can in order to make this happen. The team is still investigating to see what happened and how to improve the experience.

However, if you press the Bluetooth toggle button, which tells the player to try and get back to WiFi mode, and you don't have a wireless it can join, the unit will spend around 45 seconds with the LED flashing white, trying to connect to wireless. After around that time, so maybe give it a minute just in case, the unit should go into an AutoIP state, with a solid white light, and you can then toggle it back to Bluetooth mode.

As to using the phone as a hotspot, it wouldn't matter if it has Internet, just needs to be broadcasting a WiFi that the Move can join. So you can set your phone's hotspot settings to have the same SSID and password as your home router (just to make it easier), and your Move would connect to that as soon as it saw it. Then, you could toggle the Move back into Bluetooth mode. It'd work the same way as when you brought it home and put it on the charger.

Move will shutdown at 6% power, and can't power up until it hits 5%.

Ryan, thank you SO much for the quick answer, and for providing these technical details and hard numbers. This information is SUPREMELY useful. You've actually provided a roadmap for troubleshooting. The information about how long the Move will spend looking for a network, and the wifi hotspot cloning info - this is all fantastic info! I want to try to reproduce this problem so that I can try to use your info to fix it.

Also, if you can use this hotspot method to get the Move to "see" the clone of your home network, does that mean we would have access to the app, and thus the equalizer settings of the Move?? If so, that is huge!

On a related note to the power, the reason I asked is because I didn't bring the charging base with me, and relied on my regular usb-c wall chargers for phones, and a power bank. I discovered that neither of these could provide the required power to charge the Move. What is the minimal threshold of wattage needed to send a meaningful charge to the Move?? The website states that you can use 20V/2.25A or 15V/3A, both equalling 45W, or 12V/3A which is only 36W. Why is there a different wattage listed there? And is it ONLY these three specific combinations of voltage/amperage that are recommended to be used to produce those wattages, or could I use something like 10V/4.5A for 45W, or 18V/2A for 36W?

These are the remaining burning questions I have :)

Thanks again for all your help 🙂

Yeah I learned about this AFTER getting back home lol. It would have been VERY useful to be able to verify the connection through the app. Although I could see on my phone notification bar whethere or not my BT was connected to a device. Still, very handy that Sonos did that 🙂 Thanks for suggesting it though!

I'm on Android.

It would have been nice if Sonos included that little tidbit of information during setup or something. Not sure there's a great place to put it, but it's definitely appearing more like a secret feature than it should be.

You're right that you can see what your phone is connected to by BT (Settings -> Connections _> Bluetooth). I was going to suggest the possibility that a pair of wireless headphones might have high jacked the BT connection with your phone. So all the audio goes to the headphones, unnoticed, instead of the Move. Sounds like you checked for that though.
I have one further thing I have noted... if a 'Move' is factory reset, the iOS operating system obviously hangs onto its old Bluetooth registration information in the iOS settings... that registration needs to be removed from iOS and the speaker re-paired again with the device. I have had this issue with other Bluetooth devices so I personally think it’s possibly a Bluetooth protocol issue, rather than a software bug from Sonos or Apple.

Just mention it here briefly as it may help some users who may some-day decide to factory reset their Move.

On opening the sonos app whilst connected to your new WiFi, you should see a message saying it can’t find your system with a link saying "learn more” or words to that effect. Select that Link to see your options. You have two options open to you…

1. You could reset the App and setup a new household for now and add your Move to it and stick with that whilst on your holiday (use the same sonos account/credentials). On return home reset the App again but choose to connect to your existing network and follow the onscreen instructions. OR...
  2. Follow the instructions I gave above in my earlier post to add a wireless network - it will lead you to a screen like the one shown in the attached screenshot. I’m using an iPad Pro for the screenshot, but it should look similar. Then follow the onscreen instructions. 

Hope that assists a little further to get your Move up and running.