Sonos Move turning on

Hi I’ve had my Sonos Move for about a month now but I’ve noticed that it turns itself on occasionally which drains the battery. 

16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out. Let's work together to resolve the issue you have reported with your Move and its ability to stay powered off.

Holding down the power button for approximately 5 seconds or until you hear the audible chime is all that should be needed to power down the Move. See here: Turning off Sonos Move

hi yeah I have done that, thats the way I always turn it off but the other evening I went up and its light was on? Is this anything to do with the me having my Sonos One on downstairs?

hi yeah I have done that, thats the way I always turn it off but the other evening I went up and its light was on? Is this anything to do with the me having my Sonos One on downstairs?

Was the 'Move' also left off it’s charger-loop?.. Are you sure it was completely powered off and not in standby mode? (It gives out descending chime tones when it is fully powering off). It should be left off its charger.

No it wasn’t on the charging loop and it was definitely turned off. During the night the Sonos Move just switched itself on, very spooky! Help

No it wasn’t on the charging loop and it was definitely turned off. During the night the Sonos Move just switched itself on, very spooky! Help

Just curious how low was the battery-level when the Move powered itself back on, any idea?

I was just wondering if it powers on, in order to let you know that it’s battery needs charging ASAP, to maybe prevent any potential damage to it … just as a thought.🤔

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@traceymackem,

I agree, it is very strange. Please submit a diagnostic report and replay back with the conformation number after reproducing the issue.

Hi I have sent a a diagnostic report, 1942504382 is the confirmation number?

thank you

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Thanks for posting the confirmation number.

If you have removed the Move from the charging ring, try pressing and holding the power button for 30+ seconds.

Once the speaker is off, press the Join button once. If the speaker is fully powered down it will not respond to this button press. 

Left out of the charging ring, it should remain powered off. 

If it spontaneously powers back on after this, we are gathering information on these occurrences and I recommend that you reach out to our support team  and start a troubleshooting ticket.

Information collected through the troubleshooting process can help us target and resolve the issue since there is not yet a resolution.

Hi, it’s just done it again, it’s 3:00am and it has just randomly switched on, is there a solution yet?

Just got my Move last week and it does the exact same thing.  Turns on randomly EVERY day.  Hoping there is a solution otherwise I think it should be replaced.  Any solutions out there?

I just purchased a Move and got it today. My wife tried explain that the Move keeps turning back on after 15 min. I didn’t believe her so I tried it as well and I got the same issues with the Move turning back on. I just started to read about this issue which goes back to 2019 and I am pretty shocked the Move is still being sold knowing this issue exists. It seems that if this was a random issue Sonos would be sending out new units but instead I am reading that Sonos technical staff is surprised and recommends filling out a support ticket. How many support Tickets need to be filled out. If the problem can not be fixed then Sonos should give the owner the choice to return with a full money back.  The whole reason I got this speaker was I could take it camping with no power source and have music for a couple days with limited use and then come home and group it with my Sonos connect. Even if I only paid $49.99 for this speaker I would return due to this issue. 

I believe the solution is that you need to hold the power button for roughly 7 seconds until you hear the tone turning it off. If you only press the button for a second I believe it goes into standby mode. This looks like it works for me. Bad Sonos directions for not making this clear.

avbiro,

It’s  strange this only happens with some ‘Moves’ and not everyone’s. Mine doesn’t wake up as far as I have ever noticed. 

Are you sure you’re powering it off and not just putting it into sleep mode whilst it is off its charger-loop? If you are and it is waking up after 15 minutes, I would perhaps video/record the shutdown and it’s wake-up process and together with a diagnostic send it to sonos customer care for investigation.

avbiro,

It’s  strange this only happens with some ‘Moves’ and not everyone’s. Mine doesn’t wake up as far as I have ever noticed. 

Are you sure you’re powering it off and not just putting it into sleep mode whilst it is off its charger-loop? If you are and it is waking up after 15 minutes, I would perhaps video/record the shutdown and it’s wake-up process and together with a diagnostic send it to sonos customer care for investigation.

Ken,

So what is Sonos doing to resolve the issues that only a small amount of other people are experiencing? By the way, looking at the Start Me guide, it does not explain how to power it off so one can only assume you press the Power button above the BT/Wifi button once. It does not say hold it down for 10sec or any specific time. When I press the Power button the Move powers off the unit and I verify this by hitting the volume button and I get no tones and the top light of off. If that is not correct, why would Sonos take my time to email support when that can be addressed in what appears to be the only documentation that came in my New, Sealed Box? Look, I have a Sonos Connect that streams audio to my 8 Zone Xantech Whole House Audio system and the unit works flawless. The app is brilliant and I am a big fan. So moving forward, where does someone find the proper instructions on how to power down the Move. If the instructions  work in fact I will reply back to this thread on my success. 

I’ve had mine for almost 3 weeks, and I was experiencing the same issue. I, however, was not powering it down in the suggested manner. I was always just briefly hitting the power button. I reset the Move to its original settings, and began powering down correctly. No problems, since! It’s only been two days, but it was turning on by itself EVERYDAY. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Badge

I had the same issue with my first SONOS Move, whereby it would randomly turn on when off the charging ring and fully powered down. After a couple of months of correspondence with SONOS, I was sent a brand new replacement unit and returned the original. I have yet to notice the issue cropping up with the new unit, however I have been unable to fully test it yet.

What I have noticed so far is that for the original Move holding down the power button for three seconds generated the power off chime. However, for the new unit it takes five seconds or so for the power off chime to sound. My suspicion is that the original unit was not correctly powering off even when the power button was held down for a long time.