Answered

Sonos Move Offline and Won’t Reset

• 6 October 2019
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I bought the new Sonos Move speaker right when it came out a few weeks ago and when I got it I set it up with my existing Sonos system but haven’t tried using it since until today. My Sonos app shows that the Move speaker is “offline” so I started troubleshooting the problem with some of the feedback I’ve seen on this forum and Sonos’ website but haven’t had any luck figuring out what is wrong with the speaker.

When I took it off the charger I noticed that the light on the top is solid white and it’s like the speaker is completely frozen because it won’t do anything when you press or hold down any buttons. I have tried to factory reset the speaker using the directions found on this forum but the speaker doesn’t do anything at all (but that white light has stayed solid on the top of the speaker)

Has anyone had similar issues with the Sonos Move speaker or have any feedback of what I can try next to get it working? I’ve never had an issue like this with any of my other Sonos speakers and couldn’t find any similar threads in the forum about this type of problem.

Any help someone can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!
icon

Best answer by tigerfan87 6 October 2019, 18:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Problem solved! Right after I posted this I tried something I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere in the previous troubleshooting posts that worked to fix it. Most of the other tips I’ve seen about resetting the speaker mentioned holding the power or pairing button down for 5 seconds which didn’t work for me originally. So, I tried holding down the power button for a long period to see if it would eventually turn off and luckily after about 60 seconds or so it did just that and fixed my problem! Hope that helps anyone who runs into similar issues in the future.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks, I had the same problem and turning it off and on fixed it.
Userlevel 7
@tigerfan87

Great solution....as always rebooting tech solves a multitude of issues. Not to be confused with a factory reset. Rebooting (off/on) = Basic 101 fix-it. LOL

Cheers!
Same issue here. This is dumb though. 2nd time it’s happened. Might need a software update, Sonos. These are too expensive to not work correctly. This is my 5th speaker.
Thanks, had the same problem and this fixed it. Official troubleshooting steps from Sonos were useless.

Come on sonos, do better.

Just had the same issue happen 4 times in the space of a week since taking delivery. I feel this isn't the way it should be working. A soft restart every time it goes in offline mode? Even switching to Bluetooth mode, my phones can't find the Move. This needs a deeper look or I have a detective unit?

Userlevel 2

This worked. Hopefully it’s not a regular activity. Should be able to rejoin the environment when it’s requested through the app or at worse by pressing a button. 

I have the same problem. part from other occasions, my Move just went offline in the middle of playing some music. Switching off and on sorted it out but I would prefer the problem not to occur.

Just bought the move and set it up quickly to my existing Sonos system that’s worked great for years. After 10 seconds it went off line and won’t go back and I’ve tried everything for. Reboot to reset - it even asked me to log on to a Sonos Wi-Fi which apparently it set up - but it does not exist. Pretty frustrated right now

In my case, it is not a reset. When I hold the power for 60 sec; the speaker connect normally to the wifi. It fixed it. Thanks

Just got the Sonos Move a couple of months ago.  Everything seemed good until it got stuck offline mode.  Had to do power off and on again.  Thinking that solved the issue.  Last week it seems bricked with the white light flashing with no buttons being functional.  Can not do a reset or nothing.  Does not power off even holding the power button past 60 seconds.  Light just keeps on flashing...any suggestions?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Is it your only sonos device?   If you have other sonos units in house I can recommend a factory reset.  But if its your only sonos device it means it will wipe it clean and you will have to reset all your sources etc.

Hello Chris,

Yes it is my only Sonos device.  Can not reset or hard reset or power it off...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Doing a hard reset will wipe all your settings so lets try and avoid.

Lets try just a reboot

Sonos Move

1. Take Move off of the charging base.
  2. Hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, or until the status light turns off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the power button or place Move back onto its charging base.

The status LED will turn solid white if the product has already been set up.

The status LED will flash green if it is brand new or has been restored to its factory settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If that won’t work we may have to wipe it.

No go. Put it back on the base and it just keeps flashing white light, but no functions

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Next step would be wiping it (losing all your settings) 

or calling Sonos to try and recover it.

Thanks for helping @Chris. Hello @TuanTTran and welcome to the Community.  I am sorry to hear that your Move is giving you so much trouble. Like Chris mentioned, please reset your Move back to factory settings. Once the reset is complete, please try adding your Move back your system. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Richard - the Move is the only sonos device he has - - so if he factory resets he is going to have to start from scratch.  That is why I was trying everything but the factory reset.

Thanks for the call out Chris. At this point, this is the only troubleshooting step I can recommend. It seems like the Move itself is suffering some hardware failure. So, yes when the Move is reset, please attempt to create a new system. 

We only recommend a reset as a last resort for troubleshooting.

Thank you Chris and Richard, I can not even reset it...that is the problem...it just keeps flashing white light when I hold down the pairing button while on the base to reset the Move as instructed on Sonos’ website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Are you doing exactly as below - you never get the orange and white flashing?

Power is the top button and Join is the bottom button that looks like infinity symbol.

Sonos Move

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  4. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  5. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.

Thanks for trying to reset it @TuanTTran. I am going send you a private message so we can gather a bit more information from you. @Chris, thanks again for helping out. 

I woke this morning to find my “Move” speaker offline, along with half of the other speakers completely disappeared from my sonos system.  The windows software is completely useless in re-acquiring the devices and the phone app can’t seem to get the move reconnected nor can it find the other devices now missing: 

• Zoneplayer zp90
  • Move
  • Play1  - two of them - both gone from network.  

This random loss of speakers from the network seems to get worse and worse every time.  Calling sonos takes too long on hold and a week’s response via online ticketing?  That is terrible!  

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note: You can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.