Answered

Sonos Move not showing

• 8 October 2019
  • 76 replies

Userlevel 1
I’m having an issue where my new Sonos Move will connect to the network and will not show in the app. The bit that says offline disappears but so does the speaker. Restarting only fixes this issue some of the time. Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 October 2019, 12:47

View original

76 replies

Perhaps try resetting the Move and switching WiFi band... I would put it on the further-reaching 2.4ghz band, particularly if you connected it to the 5ghz band during the previous setup.

Here is the reset procedure...
  1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white. Let go the button.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos App
Userlevel 1
I have already tried resetting the speaker but it only fixed it for a while. However I know that the speaker is still connected to the internet because if I have google or Alexa turned on I can play music using that
Userlevel 1
This is before I turn the speaker on:

This is after I turn the speaker on and it connects to the internet:

As you can see in the screenshots, I have full signal on the wifi
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Have you tried
Settings, System, Find Missing Product
to see if it shows up?
Do you have wireless extenders or access points on your network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Before we go too far down the rabbit hole here, the Move is designed to go into a standby mode when it's not in use for a while. In that mode, it'll drop off the app until you close and reopen the app, or quick press the power button on the unit. @Ken_Griffiths has quite the observations laid out here. Does this seem to match up with what you're seeing?

The "Offline" tag is saying that the unit has dropped for unexpected reasons, such as turning the power off.
Userlevel 1
Have you tried
Settings, System, Find Missing Product
to see if it shows up?

Just tried this but it doesn't create the network that I need to join

Do you have wireless extenders or access points on your network?
Yes, I have a wireless repeater which uses a second SSID

Before we go too far down the rabbit hole here, the Move is designed to go into a standby mode when it's not in use for a while. In that mode, it'll drop off the app until you close and reopen the app, or quick press the power button on the unit. @Ken_Griffiths has quite the observations laid out here. Does this seem to match up with what you're seeing?

The "Offline" tag is saying that the unit has dropped for unexpected reasons, such as turning the power off.

I understand the offline part but after I tap the power button it does not reconnect with the app. I have the app on both Android and iOS but they both show the se thing. The offline device disappears completely and I can no longer see the Move. See previous screenshots
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The wireless repeater may be the problem.

Are you sure the Move is connected to the same SSID as the other speakers?

Try setting it it up again with the repeater turned off to be sure it’s connecting on the network you want it.
J05H912,

In “Settings/System/Network/Networks” in the Sonos App the SSID of the Move's connected WiFi Network should be shown. If it’s on the repeater SSID and the controller is connected to the main router (or vice versa) then that is the issue and both need to be on the same network, preferably the main routers network.

Here are the instructions to switch Networks for the Move speaker assuming you may want to put it on the same network as your mobile...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3666
Userlevel 1
So, since my last post I have reset the speaker but as I was doing so my iPod stopped while looking for it on the network. But when I opened the app on my phone (Android) it came up with the register speaker option. After doing this the speaker appeared in the rooms on my phone. I have restarted my iPod and the app but the speaker still does not appear. It does however appear in the app on my phone and the windows application. I tried looking at the same time on all three. I am starting to think that it may be an issue with the app and not just my WiFi. I have made sure they are on the same network as each other, as well as taking it to another location with only one network but it has the same problems. I have three Sonos speakers on my home network and 2 on the other network. All other speakers show correctly on both networks only the Move does not.
So, since my last post I have reset the speaker but as I was doing so my iPod stopped while looking for it on the network. But when I opened the app on my phone (Android) it came up with the register speaker option. After doing this the speaker appeared in the rooms on my phone. I have restarted my iPod and the app but the speaker still does not appear. It does however appear in the app on my phone and the windows application. I tried looking at the same time on all three. I am starting to think that it may be an issue with the app and not just my WiFi. I have made sure they are on the same network as each other, as well as taking it to another location with only one network but it has the same problems. I have three Sonos speakers on my home network and 2 on the other network. All other speakers show correctly on both networks only the Move does not.
And what happens when the repeater is switched off completely?

I've been having the exact problem those two screenshots show. Closing, force quitting, opening nor any other app related method has made the Move wake up. It's just sitting in its base showing in the system but when I come back the following day, it's not showing, nor does it play. I have to cycle it on and off for it to come back. Less than ideal. No repeaters here. 

I have exactly the same issues and completely agree this is a bug in the app. I have also tried all the fixes.  Sonos need to fix it fast.

Badge

similar issue here… My L+R Move pair disappear from the app on MacOs and this morning from IOS. strangely when I hit play they play in the zone they were last attached but do not show in the app o n Mac or iOS and cannot control volume..

Definitely a bug that has gotten worse. They used to always or almost always show in the iOS app. Only had issue on desktop macOS app. Latest update 10.5 seemed to propagate the missing Moves to IOS as well.

I just used “find missing speaker” one at a time and they were added back as a pair - after searching for each individually. something is wonky.

I had the same issue.

My scenario:

1. Added a new Wifi Network to my home (the built in wifi from my providers router was terrible.
  2. Followed instructions and all speakers moved over to the new network except for the move.

I tried everything to bring the Sonos Move and finally figured out what worked for me.  I tried the factory reset, and the Sonos speaker would join the network for a few moments and then eventually disappear and show up as unreachable in the app.

I had a hunch that perhaps it was still somehow associated with my old network.

Went to Settings | Network | Networks.

Sure enough my old network was in the list.  I removed the old Wifi Network, repeated the factory reset and now everything is working just fine.

Good luck.
Jason

I also have issue with sonos move needing to restart all the time. Showing it is offline even though it is onlinw

I also have issue with sonos move needing to restart all the time. Showing it is offline even though it is onlinw

Is that whilst the Move is on, or off, the charger loop?

If it’s whilst it’s off the charger, it is supposed to go offline. However, if it’s whilst it’s connected to the charger, then it is most likely the WiFi signal.

If using the 5ghz band for connection, then perhaps consider switching it to your 2.4ghz band.

If you are using a WiFi mesh system or access points, WiFi extenders/repeaters or powerline adapters etc; then ensure they are ALL operating on the same channels as the main hub/router. Try to ensure you select a fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel that is least-used in your locality. Keep the Move away from potential sources of wireless interference, as mentioned in this document…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286

I have the same problem.  The move disappears while it’s on the charger.  Closing and reopening the app does not solve the problem.  I know it’s not a wifi issue because Google Assistant works just fine on the Move.  As a matter of fact, if I start music on the Move using the Google Assistant, the Move will show up in my Sonos app.

I have the same problem.  The move disappears while it’s on the charger.  Closing and reopening the app does not solve the problem.  I know it’s not a wifi issue because Google Assistant works just fine on the Move.  As a matter of fact, if I start music on the Move using the Google Assistant, the Move will show up in my Sonos app.

Maybe try this... Power off the actual charger loop for s minute or so and let the charger reset itself. Then power it on again and see if that fixes the issue for you.👍

Maybe try this... Power off the actual charger loop for s minute or so and let the charger reset itself. Then power it on again and see if that fixes the issue for you.👍

I tried that and nothing changed.  Closed out and reopened the app and still no luck.  I gave up, then when I looked in the app 10 minutes later there it was.  I’ll see if it’s still visible when I get home tonight.

I tried that and nothing changed.  Closed out and reopened the app and still no luck.  I gave up, then when I looked in the app 10 minutes later there it was.  I’ll see if it’s still visible when I get home tonight.

Ensure the mobile controller device is on the same WiFi network band and if you have a mesh home WiFi system, or any WiFi access points/extenders, then check they are all operating on the same wireless channels (and SSID’s) as the main router.

How do I find out which network the Move is on?  I have a 5k and 2.4k network on the router. 

OK, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when the Move is connected.

• I get home tonight and check and the Move is still visible and controllable in my Sonos app.  I check and my phone is on the 2.4k network.
  • I switch my phone to the 5k net work and am not able to connect to the Move.
  • I switch my phone back to the 2.4k network and can not connect to the Move.
  • I close out the app and open it up and can control the Move again (I am on my 2.4k network)
  • I switch my phone to my 5k network and am still able to control the Move.
  • While all this is going on, my other components are always visible.

I’m having this issue too. However, the Move shows up on my Android devices but not my Apple devices (ipad and mac desktop).

When I group the Move with a second speaker on an Android app, that second speaker then disappears from all my Apple apps. 

Also, the Move does show up on my Spotify desktop app as an option. 

So, at least from my observations, this seems to be an Apple app specific problem??

Couid someone from Sonos please do us all a favour and let us know they’re hearing us and looking into this? 

Thank you.  

I have this issue I have to turn the move off and back on to find in the app why can’t they just stay on like all the others do when it’s connected to the dock?