Sonos Move not pairing with Bluetooth turntable (Audio Technica)

• 5 November 2019
  • 27 replies

The Move is directly next to the turntable, and the bluetooth indicator lights on both devices are flashing, but they are not pairing. I’ve tried numerous times with no success.

Anyone else having this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m no Bluetooth expert and I don’t have a Move. 

That said, I believe that there are different Bluetooth profiles, and different requirements for device pairing. If you were to connect your Turntable to the Move, how would you control volume? My suspicion here is that the Move is looking for a controller - ie the Sonos app running on a suitable device. You can then use the controller to select what source of music to send to the Move. Connecting turntable directly to the Move would cut out the controller and I suspect that’s not acceptable. 

Another possibility…...have you already paired another Bluetooth device to the Move, such as a phone?  If so, and that device is in range, switch off Bluetooth on that device to ensure the Move is ‘free’ to pair to the turntable.

In fact the Sonos controller is not relevant for Bluetooth, as it’s useless in the absence of a network. The Move is ‘just’ a Bluetooth speaker, receiving audio from mobile apps in the usual way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In fact the Sonos controller is not relevant for Bluetooth, as it’s useless in the absence of a network. The Move is ‘just’ a Bluetooth speaker, receiving audio from mobile apps in the usual way.

Stupid of me - and then use volume buttons on the Move. Sorry to mislead you, SummerBreeze. 

Thanks, all--

I did have to unpair my phone from the speaker, but it is still not pairing with the turntable.

Perhaps I’ll try the Audio Technica site to see if anyone has tried to pair to a Move.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is it possible to pair your phone to the turntable, and then Airplay to the Move? Cumbersome, but a possible solution? 

Is it possible to pair your phone to the turntable, and then Airplay to the Move? Cumbersome, but a possible solution? 

Interesting thought. I tried it, and my iPhone doesn’t recognize/find the turntable bluetooth signal. That’s like the source of the issue with the speaker as well.  Maybe I’ll find a solution with the Audio Technica folks.

Is it possible there’s a switch for the Bluetooth on this turntable, and it’s not on? I don’t see any specific model number for it, so it’s hard to look up an online manual.

Ah, the lights are flashing, so it’s not that. Sorry I missed that in the initial post. 

I’m told by Audio Technica that my bluetooth turntable uses SBC Bluetooth audio codec and A2DP profile. How do I find out if that is compatible with the Sonos Move?

I’m told by Audio Technica that my bluetooth turntable uses SBC Bluetooth audio codec and A2DP profile. How do I find out if that is compatible with the Sonos Move?

Hi SummerBreeze, did you ever figure out if the Audio Technica Bluetooth turntable is compatible with the move? Was going to post the same question when I came across your thread! Thanks

I am having the same problem as SummerBreeze.  My Audio Technica record player works great with an older speaker I have and hoping to connect it to my new Move.  

Hi SummerBreeze, did you ever figure out if the Audio Technica Bluetooth turntable is compatible with the move? Was going to post the same question when I came across your thread! Thanks

Hi, ars014--

I have not received a solution as of yet. Would love to have one!

Seems like the Connect or new Port is the solve for this, but I’m wondering if anyone has tried connecting their turntable to a bluetooth receiver and then having that receiver connect to the Move? I had a pair of Insignia bookshelf speakers that paired fine to the turntable, no receiver required, and I assumed Move could do the same thing. Now I’m wondering if I can get a simple receiver to pair, or if I need to buy a Port

Only finding this thread after getting my Audio Technical and watching those twinkly red and blue lights and my Move’s pulsing blue let yet never get to the point where I actually hear sound (or see the devices connect). 

what did other folks do? Return the record player? Spend 400 on the port? Or figure out some way to get the 2 devices to pair?

Any results from anyone will help me at least feel better. And determine my next steps. 

Thanks!

HI everyone.  I’m just finding this thread as I was trying to connect my AT-lp60xbt to my sonos move.  I was worried I wouldn’t figure it out but I’ve just gotten it to work.  One thing I was missing each time was not putting the move into pairing mode (hold the bluetooth button until the top of the move is blinking blue).  

It did seem like it was an odd combo of which one to put into pairing mode first I think in the end it was the record player but I’d suggest trying both).  happy to help however I can if people are still having trouble.  

Thanks for replying. I ended up buying a Port. Felt bad rewarding Sonos for not providing such a basic service as connecting 2 bluetooth devices simply but...I’m pretty psyched I now can play my records on both my Sonos devices in different rooms. Yes, I fell down the slippery slope but now I’m IN. And my vinyl does sound great.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a port upstairs, but I just bought this $99 dollar bluetooth from target (heyday) and it works with the sonos move. It works great, sounds great.. I’m very pleased with this solution. so now i have one turntable upstairs (Audio Technica AT LP120) which works great thorughout the house wifi with both the beam and move 1 and 2, and then the Target Heyday bluetooth one that works with the sonos move in bluetooth mode.. so stoked!

I had the issue of what seemed like the two devices not paring. The actual issue was a stylist guard was still covering the record needle. See minute 154 on the video for reference- https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/support/audio-solutions-question-of-the-week-how-do-i-set-up-the-at-lp60xbt-wireless-turntable/

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just bought another new one.. the audio technica AT-LP120XBT-USB-BK.. it’s awesome.

I bought the Audio Technica AT-LP120XBT-USB-BK so I could transfer all of my vinyl to my mp3 player.  I had no problem pairing it with my Klipsch Groove speaker.  I just got the Sonos Move speaker as an anniversary gift from work and it won’t pair with anything but my phone.  I have tried multiple times with my turntable and my mp3 player.  All blue lights flashing and no pairing occurs.  Very frustrating since I watched a video where someone was able to pair it to same turntable within seconds.

Not much in the way of troubleshooting available.

I am having the same issue.  I just picked up a Sonos Move, and I am trying to bluetooth pair it to my Victrola record player … I hold the bluetooth button down on the Sonos move (and make sure nothing else is paired with it - removed the connection to my phone, for instance) - and both items just continually flash blue, never connecting.  I am guessing it is because I can’t select “Yes” on the Sonos Move, as there is no interface to it.  I tried to use my Sonos app to connect to the Move, but you can’t connect to it when in bluetooth mode … so, then I tried to access the Move settings when connected on WiFi, but there is no bluetooth settings available to tinker with.   Very bummed, as it was the number one reason I bought the Sonos Move in the first place.   I wish Sonos would provide some way to access the Move bluetooth settings … I really don’t want to go to a hardwired setting…

Has anybody had any luck pairing a record player to any bluetooth speaker?  I know this is a Sonos forum… I’m just bummed and I don’t see Sonos fixing this anytime soon :(

The Move is directly next to the turntable, and the bluetooth indicator lights on both devices are flashing, but they are not pairing. I’ve tried numerous times with no success.

Anyone else having this issue?

I just got my turntable and realized my sonos beam isn’t really a Bluetooth speaker… so I’m looking into the move and found this thread. Did you get it to work? Have any suggestions? I like Sonia but don’t think buying a move and port is $$$cost effective. 

Only finding this thread after getting my Audio Technical and watching those twinkly red and blue lights and my Move’s pulsing blue let yet never get to the point where I actually hear sound (or see the devices connect). 

what did other folks do? Return the record player? Spend 400 on the port? Or figure out some way to get the 2 devices to pair?

Any results from anyone will help me at least feel better. And determine my next steps. 

Thanks!

Did you figure it out???? 

I have the same problem pairing my Move with anything other than my phone.  No luck with my laptop or my turntable.  Help…...