Answered

Sonos Move keeps getting offline

• 18 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I just submitted a diag: 15840402, whereby my Move became offline.  This is the 2nd time in the past 3-4 weeks that this had happened.  The first time powering on and off didn’t help (and I eventually had to factory reset to join the hoisehold).

I have just powered off and on again and “Alexa” won’t event trigger the wakeword detection chime now (LED is solid steady white and mic light is on).

(waited a while...)

now the wakeword is detected but it does not even answer to “What’s the weather?”

Submitted another diag: 1654211691

Time now is: 17th June 2021 2011 hrs ET (in case I got my diag number wrong - u can look up).

DO advise - this is quite frustrating.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 June 2021, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WowAndFlutter 

Thanks for your post!

I cannot tell you exactly why your Move is offline, as your diagnostic includes everything apart from your Move.

What I can tell you is that your Move does not connect via SonosNet (created by your ethernet-wired speaker called “study-desk”), but will instead connect directly to the WiFi created by your router called DLINK_WIRELESS. 

I can also see that your phone is connecting to DLINK_WIRELESS_II.

Therefore, there could be an issue with your Move remaining connected to WiFi, or there may be a configuration issue on your network that prevents your phone from “seeing” your Move when they’re not both connected to the same WiFi.

If the Move cannot stay connected then when it is missing from the app, it should not be able to play with a voice command. Therefore, if the Move can respond to a voice command when it’s missing from the app, then the issue is with the configuration of your network.

If, however, the Move cannot play when it’s offline in the app, then there is an issue with the configuration of your DLINK_WIRELESS WiFi. As this seems to match with you being unable to get a weather report, the WiFi configuration is the likely issue. 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network, though please try to submit a diagnostic when the Move is online prior to contacting them.

I cannot tell you exactly why your Move is offline, as your diagnostic includes everything apart from your Move.

I am not surprised the Move did not has its diagnostics collected - it is sort of in a semi-limbo state with the household.  The Move has an IP and is definitley responsive (I have it out of the dock and the LED will go from off to on when I open my iOS app).

Even in my profile’s “System” page, it shows online, meaning it is connected to Sonos’s backend.

Regarldess if my phone is on DLINK_WIRELESS or DLINK_WIRELESS_II, it shows as offline - even when I have it within a couple metres from the wireless router.

When I submit a diag, we “ask” one of the device to collect diagnostics from all the household devices.  Can u check if the Move appear in the list of devices and can be seen from the other HH devices?

Other than doing another factory reset, what else can I do?

Contact the support team, as was suggested?

Contact the support team, as was suggested?

Ah yes, indeed I will - cheers.  I was checking if there are other self-service diagnostics I can perform before contacting support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WowAndFlutter 

To me, right now, it looks like your Move is online. 

Given that, and what you have reported, it looks like the Move is staying connected (though my checking once is hardly proof) but communications are being blocked. This could be due to your router(s) not passing certain types of network packets from WiFi to LAN (SonosNet results in the router thinking all SonosNet-connected devices are on LAN), or something else. The Move not giving you a weather report refutes this, however. More information is needed, and the Move has it.

A factory reset is the last thing I’d recommend. Literally. At this point, I don’t think you should even reboot your Move as that clears the internal logs. Please get in touch with our technical support team.

If you really want to try something without first getting in touch with our technical support team, you could try assigning static IP addresses for your Sonos devices, especially the Move, in the router’s settings. Reboot everything that relates, or connects to, the network afterwards - and I do mean everything. Get your network up and running before turning on/reconnecting client devices such as phones, computers and Sonos devices.

I just realised that location and interference haven’t yet been mentioned - I presume you have tried moving the Move, and it behaves the same in all locations? If not, that would be the first thing to try.